Model Cars Magazine Forum

ice road truckers

I watched some of the first season but when it became obvious they were going more reality show than edutainment I quit watching. I am going to be building a somewhat replica of the black Louisville with the 8v-71 from the last season or two if I can ever find where I put the resin hood I bought.

I like the IRT show even though I agree with the BS part. But apart from the blockbuster greedy narration and fabricated scenario, the video shots are cool. Nice trucks, severe conditions, exotic working enviroment... no reason to complaint for me. They could give more info on some work details there rather than the soap opera intrique acts. But it´s their money (TV channel´s) and hopefully they know what they are doing. I prefer facts from plots but more people probably want something else.

I haven't looked lately but I found aspects of it interesting.  With the Canadian runs I Googled some of the towns they run to and their web sites. It was interesting that people lived that remote and they were bringing up building supplies and a school bus.  The scrap runs of old cars back to civilization for recycling were also interesting. I couldn't imagine someone wanting to drag old sedans all the way up there, I would have assumed every vehicle in those towns would be 4x4s and vehicles more suited for the area.  Some of the characters were likable.

I like to watch Yukon Men for the same reasons. The conditions they live under are extreme and these are some tough dudes to go on a hunt camping in 40 below!

• 5 weeks later...

I like the show just as I like the Deadliest Catch.  No more real and any other "reality" TV show; let's face it, life just isn't that exciting for most of us and the producers are always making things "more interesting" to keep us tuned in.  About Darrell, wow, hadn't heard, too bad.  He and Lisa seemed close, they went thru a lot together.

I watch the show. Not the best thing on TV to be sure but I record it and watch it when there is nothing much on.

I do this with the majority of the shows I watch, can't stand some of the stupid commercials and sometimes even fast forward through the "drama" that gets scripted into these shows.

Yes, Darryl was a major character in the last show I watched from my DVR.  At the end of the show they let it be known he passed away and dedicated the show to his memory.  I Googled his name, fearing that he had gone through the ice or otherwise died in a trucking accident. Found out he died in a small plane crash.   

He was the guy I'd most like to have a beer with on the show.  Seemed like a nice family man.  This season of the show is already done, so we'll see how they handle this next season.