Model Cars Magazine Forum

'41 Ford Woody Wagon

Intmd8r

Its more or less a box stock build of the AMT '41 Woody, as a way to practice making realistic wood grain and execute a concept I had floating around in my head.

Not normally a fan of AMT kits and this build reminded me why: 2/3 into the build, I realized that the sealed kit I started out with was missing BOTH side windows and 3 of the 4 wheel inserts needed to attach the wheels to the chassis.  I improvised, but needless to say, I was disappointed.  Also lowered slightly the front suspension and I'm glad I did - the stance would have looked like a vintage Gasser if I had left it alone.

I've already had feedback on my build thread that some of you think the colors don't go well together or that the wood is too dark.  Don't really care - I'm happy with the end result and I must say, it looks fairly close to the reference pic that I set out to create.

photo image_zpswtsvf79d.jpeg photo image_zps0vfuisp0.jpeg photo image_zpsq55ynmcs.jpeg photo image_zps8fy3p9od.jpeg photo image_zpsrzjsvqwc.jpeg photo image_zpsqujgende.jpeg photo image_zpsblyvi7ud.jpeg

Edited by Intmd8r

I personally like your "I don't care"comment concerning your choice of colors.We should always,always,always build to suit ourselves not to please others.If you are pleased with your end result that's what our common hobby should be about.If someone else likes it that's a bonus,if not that's only their opinion and should never influence what you build or how you choose to build it.

Looks good to me! You must have very successfully wrangled that AMT kit into shape.
 Yellow is always a great color for a woody. For several years I had a favorite shirt with a yellow woody on the back.

I think it's entirely possible that a real car could have wood that dark. Scenario: California, early 50s: the paint is still fine, but the wood is drying out and fading in the sun, so the owner has re-stained all of it, resulting in a darker finish than factory.

Thanks everyone for the kind feedback.

Not sure if Harry is saying he likes yellow, but I think that may be the most positive(?) post he's made on any of my builds. OK-least critical .... Lol

Yes, I'm saying I like a yellow woody! That's why I posted one of mine... to prove to you that I wasn't kidding! :D

BTW... I guess you missed this comment I made on your chopped '31 highboy...

Very cool! I especially like the way you did the rust and peeling paint on the visor. Very realistic. How did you do that?

I personally like your "I don't care"comment concerning your choice of colors.We should always,always,always build to suit ourselves not to please others.If you are pleased with your end result that's what our common hobby should be about.If someone else likes it that's a bonus,if not that's only their opinion and should never influence what you build or how you choose to build it.

I second that!  Build it to your tastes and enjoy it!  You did a great job on the details, especially the "wood"! 

That, and then some. And you nailed that paint by the way. It is splendid.

Thanks again everyone.

I really wanted to build a '40 Ford Woody, but such a beast does not exist to my knowledge. The Revell '48 Woody looks like a quality kit, but I just don't like the grill for that year. Besides, I scored this one for $12 delivered.

Even the colours did not come out how I wanted, really satisfied with the end result.