Model Cars Magazine Forum

'53 Chevy track racer - minor update 9/21

Jantrix

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update. Not much to show as the body is together but doesn't look that much different from the mock up yet. Working on chassis fitment right now. One issue I have been wrestling with is the width of the track. One thing I didn't take into consideration when I determined that the chassis was the right width for the '53 body was how the stock car body's wheel arches flare out allowing for a wider track. In the '53 body, the tires stick out about 3 mils. After considering all options, I've decided to change out my wheel/tire choice. I considered wheel flares, but I wanted to keep the body lines pretty stock. Instead of the stock car wheels and tires, I'm using the wheels/tires from the AMT '05 300C. They are 3.3mm narrower without being too narrow and are the about 1mm less in diameter. They look remarkably good inside the '53 wheel wells. Also because of the large diameter wheels I can likely get them a little deeper into the wheel wells. Lot's of fabrication to do. I have decided to keep this kit and my tools with me here as my family moves northwest, so i can continue with the engineering. If all goes well, I should be able to do a complete mock up sans paint before I leave, with everything fitting perfectly. <_<