Model Cars Magazine Forum

'53 Chevy track racer - minor update 9/21

Jantrix

New project. This awesome '55 has inspired me to build something similar, but decidedly my style. This '55 according to Super Chevy, was built on an old Days of Thunder Lumina stock car chassis. In a lot of ways it's the perfect car. It's a track-ready, street legal hot rod. You can hit the track on Saturday, zip up Pikes Peak on Sunday. Swap in some narrower tires and hit he salt flats next weekend. Then throw on some radials and do the Hot Rod Power Tour the weekend after. This really appeals to me. So I'm going to give it a shot.

1955-chevrolet-front-side-view_zpsxta8t6

http://www.superchevy.com/features/1509-1955-chevy-gets-some-handling-help-from-swapped-stock-car-chassis/

I'm going to use the Monogram '53 Chevy, and a Monogram stock car. Both 1/24. I have a 1/24 Nascar SBC that I'll swap in with some Weber style downdrafts. The '53 has a longer wheelbase, so the stock car chassis will have to be lengthened 8.5mm and we should be in business. First order of business is removing the wheel wells and firewall from the '53, removing  the radiator tunnel and flattening the edge of the rear wheel tubs on the stock car chassis. Then I'll lengthen the chassis just aft of the front seats. 

As far as finish, I'm planning a "Cobra Merc" vibe. It'll have wheel discs and a low hood scoop. I'm planning on a patina'd white finish with various primers showing through. Door numbers at a minimum. Can't wait to start. More soon.

20160802_201037_zpszyo99a0c.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Quick update. I've trimmed up the chassis and body, so that they will mate smoothly. The chassis still needs to be lengthened AND now based on this photo and my trusty caliper, it will need to be sectioned about 4.5mm. I was planning for this modification so it's no surprise. This kit definitely has some dimension issues in any case, and it will look much better once it's sectioned. I've channeled this kit once before about 25 years ago, and it looked great. I just wish I hadn't continued the custom work after that and screwed the whole thing up. I'll start by removing the side trim. Things are picking up at work for at least the next six weeks. So I'll get it done when I can.

I like the look! Almost looks to me that it needs to be extended in front of the rear wheels to push the cabin on the chassis forward. 

Thanks guys. Fabrizio, I agreee 100%. I think it's going to have a great look.

Rick, I'm gonna do it the old fashioned way. Slowly, with the back of a #11 until the groove is deep enough and then bring in the zona saw.

Jesse, you are exactly right. I'll be stretching the chassis right behind the seat about 8.5mm. That will get my wheelbase right and center the cage where it's supposed to be. I don't think chopping the top will be necessary based on my measurements. I'm not a fan of doing so in most cases.

I was looking at the very same 55 Chevy a few weeks ago and was thinking that it was a cool concept that would be fun with just about any 50's car.  You're off to a great start so it will be fun to watch your progress.  I may try one myself one day.  I think Jesse is right about extending the chassis in front of the rear wheels to put the passenger compartment in the right place.  Take your time and it will turn out great!!!????????

Edited by geewhiz

Well the need to work and sleep is really cutting into the bench time. I can squeeze in about 30 minutes a day. I have the side trim removed and the tape cut for the section job. The horizontal tape is the portion that will be removed. The vertical line, is just a cut line. There's no need to section the grill. I'm going to take my time and get this cut over the next few days if I can get time. I want the cleanest cut I can get. I'm thinking about trying the method of melting sprue with MEK and creating a plastic paste to do the filling with. Since the cuts will be visible on the inside of the body too, I want them really clean. I never seem to get perfection with Bondo type fillers. 

Cool project Rob, been watching this, and looking forward to more. I saw a thread on another forum where a guy made filler out of CA glue and baby powder or corn starch?, Sorry I cant remember which but it seem to work really well. I havent tried it myself, but might not be a bad thing to experiment with? Good luck.

David

Cool project Rob, been watching this, and looking forward to more. I saw a thread on another forum where a guy made filler out of CA glue and baby powder or corn starch?, Sorry I cant remember which but it seem to work really well. I havent tried it myself, but might not be a bad thing to experiment with? Good luck.

David

I've kicked that around, but it's still a different material than the styrene and is harder to sand and feather out. I've been wanting to try this for a while anyway. Also to make the section easier I'm going to open the trunk I think.