Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shelby Series 1 "Coupe" GTS car....8-7-16 update -front lighting

Kennyboy

Ok, so this build has been ongoing but I have not shown any pictures and/or progress because I have been waiting to get the Viper GTS back window.....(thanks again 1930fordpickup!)

Lets back up for a moment....this build started back in March. I had seen another member on here do a similar build using the Shelby Series 1 and a Toyota 2000gt for the roof (stellar build BTW!) My friend Dr. Kerry and I were talking plastic one day and almost the same time we came up with the idea of using a Viper GTS for the roof section......the idea festered for a while until a rainy day when I started letting the plastic fly. The roof section was not as easy to work in as I originally thought but (ALOT) of sanding and blending and filling produced this. ENJOY!

897.jpg

900.jpg

Edited by Kennyboy
  • Like 1

You can kind of see some of the chassis work in the above picture......the front suspension from the Series 1 kit is ok......but a little lackluster so I ended up cutting off the coilovers and making my own with pen springs and parts box stuff. The injection covers are from a Corvette kit....sanded off the "Corvette" letters and painted black then Motorsport carbon fiber decalled followed by a coat of Future. Wheels are from the quickbuilder Mustang with parts box Fujimi tires. Brakes are my spun metal washers with Tamiya calipers glued on.

889.jpg

• Like 1

Really nice Ken. I always thought Shelby should of done a coupe of this car. So much so, that your build looks vaguely familiar.

20160803_191545_zpsyzy1vy6i.jpg

20160803_191526_zpsiy7mv5mt.jpg

I started mine back in like 2002...was suppose to be a tribute to Shelby's Return to LeMans.....a decade and a half later I still dig it out on occasion to work on it. 

Like you, I used the roof from a Viper GTS (AMT) kit.

Looking forward to seeing yours done.

Edited by Jhedir6
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, that is ok Ray....I do appreciate your opinion and thoughts.

Now I gotta find the livery I am going with....ANY IDEAS???

BTW Ray, the racecar idea came from being at Road America a weekend not too long ago......between that Realtime car above and this Viper among others. \/\/

P1040434.JPG

Edited by Kennyboy

Great minds...

Very nice work on both the roof graft & the paint.  

It really is a car that looks way better as a coupe, shame they never did the real one

I did the Toyota 2000 conversion purely because that is what I had. It didn't take long to realise that the Viper roof was a much better way to go as I had to completely redo the glass openings & it took a lot of tries to make a rear screen that was acceptable (almost). I spent weeks filling & sanding.

Keep up the good work & Dave... finish yours mate!

Brian