Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMTERTL 1994 car trailer

I'm building aAMTERTL 1994 car trailer.its a rebuilder from ebay.it came most parts but a glue-not quite-bomb.it had no paint and was taken apart alreadyIt was a mess in my opinion. 

rebuilding it for my Revell 1997 Ford Expedition  (snap kit).its getting the rims on the trailer bed..but new ones from a friend.its getting wiring,anchor points and new ramps with aluminum  and brass for hinge points on the ramp.the plastic rod will be cut out.new tail lights,and hitch like the bull dog style.new landing gear and sand skid.

it has now mods to suspension 

rebuilt tung and added strength to it and trailer break away box.

removed the tread plate and cleaned up the glue marks,trade marks and the bad sink marks and the tooling posts in tge fenders..they were pretty bad.

will have tow chains an electrical plug.a few other things to.

thank you for looking....Chris

ps sorry for slightly out of focus picture.was shaking from medical problems. 

AMTERTL 1994 car trailer boxtop.jpg

AMTERTL 1994 car trailer 1.jpg

AMTERTL 1994 car trailer 2.jpg

AMTERTL 1994 car trailer 3.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out how to glue the clear parts together on this kit. And keeping them clear. My normal Testor Pro Modeler white glue does not set up fast enough to hold the parts together while drying. This problem was been driving me nuts for a while now. You almost never see this trailer built with the clear parts intact. So I'm guessing I'm not the only one.

I'm still trying to figure out how to glue the clear parts together on this kit. And keeping them clear. My normal Testor Pro Modeler white glue does not set up fast enough to hold the parts together while drying. This problem was been driving me nuts for a while now. You almost never see this trailer built with the clear parts intact. So I'm guessing I'm not the only one.

Should be an interesting re-build, I havent seen one before and will be watching. On the clear parts, have you tried taping the joints till the glue takes up?

Krystal Klear works well, but don't expect it to be as strong as Testors cement or Crazy glue. You could get away with the later, but you would have to be sparse with the amount of glue you use.

I've always wanted to build this with the wall framework painted (to help hide the glue and seams) and leave the "panels" clear. Just never found this kit at a price I was willing to pay. Maybe you could try that?

Thanks guys for looking.the clear was glue ridden, so those parts I will not be using....sorry.I personally never saw claboard type walls on inclosed trailers.as for glue to use to leave it clear maybe 5 min expoxy well placed to iust hold it..like maybe the corners..then once cured,then small amounts of ca glue.I've never used expoxy for anything but clear for like glass on dash gauges,mark lights.I've used ca as well..both dry glossy....Chris

I do like this trailer and wish they would release it again!

hi Jordan.I don't know..but agree,it would be nice to see it reissued.this is the first time I've had this kit.I usually make my own trailers.but came across these two from ebay.one was built the other was unassembled.but missing tires..as I remember.I never thought the top was the right height and didn't like the claboard type sides...have a great day....Chris

I never thought the top was the right height and didn't like the claboard type sides...have a great day....Chris

I agreed until I started looking at some old photo's on line from drag strips around the country. many of these trailer were built for the car they put inside and were also home built . A friend picked up a former dragster trailer , it follows the shape of the car somewhat. It was also home built and is not smooth on the sides as we see them today and for the last 25 to 30 years. 

I use the Loctite G02 glue and have never had any windows fog up. you could try it

I will check it out. I wonder if we carry it at the O'Reilly's I work during the summer? Does the stuff set up fairly quickly. And any idea what it is? A white glue? Superglue? Epoxy? Or what?

I picked some up at walmart. It is kind of gel like has a 30 minute set time. I would try it on some scrap to see if it will work for your purpose as Im not sure what your clear plastics are made of. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/GO2_GLUE_tds.pdf

I picked some up at walmart. It is kind of gel like has a 30 minute set time. I would try it on some scrap to see if it will work for your purpose as Im not sure what your clear plastics are made of. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/GO2_GLUE_tds.pdf

Interesting going to the above link. They say it's not compatible certain Polystyrenes. So would this stuff work with this kit or not? If it does, I may just go on eBay and buy some.

I would use Devcon 5-Minute Epoxy as it dries clear and has a strong bond.

I gave up on gluing the <bleeping> clear parts together. Mine will be an open trailer.

I do like this trailer and wish they would release it again!

I have duplicated this trailer as a scratchbuilt model several times in the history of my being here . If it ever cools down , I'll go over to my storage and send you plans as to how to do this using Evergreen , Plastruct and some wood. I wanted a wood deck .

Thanks all,

Its coming along ok.got alot of small things done.tge trailers tonque is on,break away batts on,wiring,conduct, rims have been desided.got backing rims from scenes unlimited.I modded the S16's to get only the rim bead for the rim.made the battery placement. still need to make the plastic battery box,get safety chains,make ramps and get suspension and fenders glued on.here is a few update pictures..thank you for looking and any help you give.......Chris 

ps...The masking tape is holding the fenders on till suspension is glued permanent. 

AMTERTL 1994 car trailer 9.jpg

AMTERTL 1994 car trailer 10.jpg

AMTERTL 1994 car trailer 11.jpg