Model Cars Magazine Forum

Photo Backdrop Diorama

RyanSilva

So Today it hit me.. i need a backdrop, Like Virgil has for his builds.

Im pretty limited..fund wise to what i can do..but i will make it happen.

Today i started a Form and made a rectangle like shape from plaster paris.

Mixed up some plaster and here we are!, i started weathering it, this is my first time weathering concrete, its pretty hard, but with practice im sure it gets easier.

I still need to blend in a little more, but i think the dirt will soften up once i add some gray bakng soda.

The moss is made from baking soda mixed with craft paint. Few drops ina closed container and sprinkle plenty of baking soda, shake like crazy and you get tiny dough balls of baking soda, which you apply where ya want,then take a brush dipped in rubbing alcohol and drip it over the moss, it should melt a bit and adhere. From thre take a soft brush and dab the moss to get some texture.

The base should look better once its got some dullcoat.

I plan on widening and exstending this, this is just the first, then il add more and blend them in to match.

The indentations are natural from the casting of the plaster, BUT i hand carved the scratech and cracks.. only one crack in the corner did i use the hammer and glue back method.

SANY0273.jpg

SANY0272.jpg

SANY0270.jpg

SANY0267.jpg

Guest Gramps-xrds

You'd be surprised what you can do w/ things you have just lying around. A little immagination is a powerful thing. Nice work. :(

Thanks you guys!

I will do that Barbo when i cast a few more rows and more bricks, so il snap some shots of the sequence.

Heres a shot of the other plaster ground, (i had these two already made from last year) Hardest part is blending them to match..which is why you should paint them all at once!

just the basics are done.

The cinder brick wall i hand carved from a thin strip of plaster, scaled the size to 8mmx16mm scale, more or less.

I also coated it with latex mold rubber, bruched on, still need a few more coats, but when thats built up, il form a wood layout around it, and pour a plaster backing to support the latex mold. from there il remove the mold from the plaster to take out my master.

SANY0283.jpg

SANY0281.jpg

SANY0286.jpg