Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC '78 Chevy Stepside , Dec. 4, almost done.

Hadn't really planned to do this one next but some things just kinda happen.

I had started this project almost 7 years ago. Got it as a started kit from a friend. It had some stuff painted like the body parts and interior but never assembled. He had cut the hole in the roof for the aftermarket sunroof that was included in the kit though. So, I filled it . Thought I had done a pretty good job of it , nice and smooth. 

100 0387

100 0450

Mini-tubbed the box so I could get some fat Pegasus Michelin tires under the back. Cut the bed floor out to make way for some nice oak I happened to have and painted it with some House of Color blue I custom mixed. 

All the body parts, inner fenders, engine, rad wall and firewall all painted and clearcoated. 

100 0647

The engine was from a Revell '69 Vette. [can't remember where the tranny's from]

Then I dropped the cab and the roof repair cracked all around the filled sunroof opening.  :wacko::angry:

So, I stripped it again and repaired the roof ,,, and that's how it's been for over 6 years now.

Was gonna start back on my '68 Chevy fleetside yesterday, which was in the same box as the '78. Had them both out on the table ,, The '78 was ready for paint, the '68 not so much ,, so I painted it instead with the last of my HOK Oriental blue candy basecoat. ,, looked so good I cleared it and will be finishing it up next. :D

Pics of the new paint job soon,,,

Edited by Can-Con

• 3 weeks later...

Got the chassis pretty well sorted out. Front suspension's glued in and everything's set up how I want it. With all the modifications , I'd say the truck will be dropped somewhere around 10 scale inches in total. 

IMG_2007-vi.jpg

IMG_2008-vi.jpg

The rear window mounts in from behind to the back of the cab as is usual with these old kits. It just didn't look right to me recessed so far into the opening so I cut it down to fit flush in the opening. 

IMG_2004-vi.jpg

IMG_2005-vi.jpg

I've roughed in the bed floor to where I want it. It's channelled a couple scale inches up in the bed sides so the bed assembly will sit down over the frame and look to be in the stock position. I also had to take a couple scale inches off the top of the frame rails to pull this off. 

IMG_2010-vi.jpg

IMG_2012-vi.jpg

IMG_2014-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...