Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Dick Landy Long Nose Dart

jjsipes

I just received my resin body from Speed City Resin and have started to do research for this car. Having some trouble locating info on chassis. This is about time that they started using tube chassis' and wondering if this car had a full tube chassis? Does anyone have any reference they are willing to share. I have a bunch of builds started and I won't be geting to this one for a little while. I have some pictures I found online but no clear underhood shots of chassis.

Here's the Speed City Resin Kit

The chassis it comes with.

Hi Jason,  I'm no expert with this, but I can't imagine anything other than a custom chassis for a car like this.  Tube frame?   Probably.  The last pic pretty much shows the deal.  When the flash is trimmed off, is the frame round or boxed?  I'd almost bet money that Speed City gave lots of attention to this detail.  Another idea from this period is Don Nicholson's Comet.  Not a Mopar of course, but some insight for the era.  The pics of this car flipped up in the pits are readily available.

That sure does look like a nice quality piece from Speed City.  Cool car too, will make for a great model, good luck with your future endeavors.

There used to be a car car Quick Silver ( owned by a man named Len Silver.) that ran out of the Sabina Ohio area many many many years ago. And if memory serves me correct the 2 cars were made by the same company and the Quick Silver had a  box tube main frame with a minimal round rube frame for a driver cage

You have to admit, the internet is great when it comes to researching somewhat obscure stuff like this, and having people willing to help out in a forum like this :D

How did we do it in the 60's?  Not in the encyclopedias at the library that's for sure!

I'm in watching this build!  Thanks for starting it....

How did we do it in the 60's?  Not in the encyclopedias at the library that's for sure!

You used the real thing for research, or magazine photos, or if you were like me, you just took your best guess and then built a cruddy model. :lol:

• 3 years later...

Got discouraged with this when I started to modify wheelbase. Cut body to use the altered quarters and tried gluing it in on drivers side but superglue didn't want to hold. Put it back in box then. Decided to pull it out and see what's what with it and determined that I would try some 2 part epoxy I have. Seems to be holding better this time around. Cut the passenger side and got it ready to epoxy it in. Still need to enlarge to wheel openings.

20190816_101903.jpg

20190816_101921.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jjsipes said:

Got discouraged with this when I started to modify wheelbase. Cut body to use the altered quarters and tried gluing it in on drivers side but superglue didn't want to hold. Put it back in box then. Decided to pull it out and see what's what with it and determined that I would try some 2 part epoxy I have. Seems to be holding better this time around. Cut the passenger side and got it ready to epoxy it in. Still need to enlarge to wheel openings.

20190816_101903.jpg

20190816_101921.jpg

Gorilla glue has worked great for me so far.

20190813_191415.jpg

20190813_193557.jpg

20190816_202507.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

Gorilla glue has worked great for me so far.

20190813_191415.jpg

20190813_193557.jpg

20190816_202507.jpg

Looks good. I did the same thing when I built my 65 Landy Dodge from the Polar Lights Coronet kit. Most of the time super glue has worked for me but for some reason it didnt on this resin body.

• 4 years later...

You need to use Loctite "Professional Liquid super glue !.... Regular super glue has a weaker formula and does not work on resin models/parts !
All this is posted on the www.seedcityresin.com website.
Also: To get any information on the resin models that I have created and sell, I can also give advise, photos and even article pages.
I can't understand why you guy's don't contact me since I was the one who created this model and most likely will have more information on these early funny cars than anyone else!
Yes, the Dick Landy Long Nose '66 Dart had a Square Tube Chassis !
Round tube chassis' didn't come around until the fiberglass bodied "FlipTop" Funny Cars in 1967.

Landy66DartArticle.jpg

• Like 4