Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lola T70 Mk2 1/24 scale- Under Glass

Phildaupho

DSCN4234

The Hewland transaxle, rear suspension and most of rear bulkhead/cross member are from the MPC Indy Eagle, which is pretty, close overall to the Lola configuration. The brakes are from the Fujimi GT40.  I also used the top of the rear bulkhead/cross member from the GT40 to give a better mating location for the Hewland transaxle. On the Lola the rear sway bar transverses ahead of the rear bulkhead so I had to make a new one from brass tubing. I used metal axle for strength with universal joints from Revell Deuce axles. The upper struts required shortening to meet the fabricated forward end brackets. I wrapped the shocks with wire to simulate the springs. The parts box Goodyear tires proved to be too wide so they had to be narrowed by 4mm. Everything is painted with a variety of metallizer paints. It was necessary to build the transaxle/rear suspension as a complete assembly to determine where and how it would be mounted to the chassis tub. The assembly still needs extra details like oil cooler and filter, shift linkage, brake lines, etc. Now onto the engine

Below is a great photo of the rear end of the real car with Dan Gurney contemplating work being done before the 66 Laguna Seca Can-Am race.

gurney weslake 1966 30 Monteray  Q

• 2 weeks later...

DSCN4241gurney weslake 1966 30 Monteray  R

With the transaxle located I turned my attention to the engine. As mentioned previously the Gurney-Weslake heads were mastered by Stephen Roullier and cast by Stephen Miller. Mine are early test shots. I had planned to use the MPC Indy Eagle engine but realised it would need a bunch of modifications such as a spacer to locate it further forward and mounts for a starter and oil supply. I considered a few other small block Ford engine blocks but settled on one from a Revell Deuce kit mainly because I had a number of them in the parts box. With the transmission removed and some trimming, the bell housing gave the required spacing to the transaxle. I made up a new oil pan from sheet styrene matching period photos. A valley cover between the heads was also fabricated. I did use the front cover from the MPC engine as it has the cooling pipes to the GW heads.  I used the Harold Bradford Webers that came with his GT-40 engine for which I fabricated carb to manifold flanges and added venturi tubes. I used Model Factory Hero tubing for the breathers with fittings cut off of items from my parts box. It added the inner cooling tubes and a block to oil cooler fitting. The valve covers are painted Metallizer Buffing Gun Metal, which makes the script stand out [looking better in reality than photos]. The pre-drilled distributor is from R&M with Detail Master wire and looms. I fabed up the front pulleys and belts to sort of look like the period photos. The real car did not use a generator/alternator for sprint races. A lot of these details will not be seen once the engine is mounted. Next I will attach the engine to the transaxle to locate the headers and establish the final shape of the engine cover cutout.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. This is probably the most challenging project yet that I have undertaken – it is model building without a net – no kit – no instructions. But with the engine completed and a stormy day outside, I could not resist connecting the engine to the transaxle and fitting the assembly to its location. I had to trim even more length from the bellhousing to get the correct position and was then able to do the final shaping of the engine cover opening. The next challenge will be fitting the headers and coming up with an engine cover support arrangement.

DSCN4244DSCN4246

• 3 weeks later...

I lost count how many times I removed and re-installed the engine/transaxle assembly coming up with an engine cover tilt and support arrangement. I am surprised the suspension struts survived so much abuse but will likely require pinning before final assembly. Certainly the engine/transaxle assembly will need touch up from all the handling.

I had to cut 3mm from the MPC Eagle headers to lower them and bring them closer to the engine so they will fit under the engine cover. A friend found the “megaphone” pipes in a craft store. They are made from rolled aluminum sheet. He also gave me some made of brass.

I also came up with the rest of the engine compartment ancillaries like oil coolers for the engine and transaxle, a cooling system over-flow tank, fuel transfer pumps and reservoir.

DSCN4386DSCN4388DSCN4385

Wow, Phil, you are really in your element with this project. I know the special regard you have for all things Gurney and it shows in this one. It will be a stunner when you are done. And thanx for the first-rate detail photography to take us all along for the ride. What a treat!

Edited by Bernard Kron

After building nothing but hot rod [mainly 32 Fords] models for the last year and half I was looking for a change of pace, so decided to get back to another aspect of my car obsession – vintage race cars of the 1960’s. As a nice segue from the Dan Gurney Tribute Deuce 5-W I recently completed I decided to get back to work on the previously started model of the car that inspired the design of the Deuce which is Dan Gurney’s 1966 LolaT70, which was the only Ford powered car to win a Can-Am race [Bridgehampton]. The Lola T70 is maybe my all time favorite racecar. Back when used racecars were relatively cheap I thought a T70 would make a very cool road car.  
I have wanted to build a model of a T70 for a long time. Many years ago I broke down and paid the asking price for an old IMC Mecom Lola T70 Mark I. This is a nice little kit but the emphasis is on little as it is off scale somewhere between 1/24 and 1/32.  Then I noticed Tamiya had re-released their 1/24 Lola T70 slot car body so I had a starting point for my project and one thing lead to another.

I have assembled what I think will be the necessary parts
-    Tamiya 1/24 Lola T70 slot-car body [the body has the basic shape but will require a lot of modifications]
-    Fred Cady decals which I have had for a number of years in anticipation of this project
-    Fujimi Ford GT40 chassis, interior, suspension, tires  [Both the Lola T70 and Ford GT40 evolved from the earlier Lola Mk6 Coupe]
-    White metal Mini-Exotic Lola wheels
-    MPC Eagle engine, transaxle and rear suspension
-    Gurney Weslake heads mastered by Stephen Roullier and cast by Stephen Miller [The HRM heads and intake manifold are cast with the block so will need to be removed]
-    Headers from the MPC Olsonite Eagle
I also have lots of research material
-    Dave Freidman’s book Lola – Can-Am and Endurance Race Cars borrowed from a friend
-    Photos I took of the car at the 2010 Monterey Reunion
-    Articles on the Gurney Weslake engine

-   I have two Tamiya 1/12 Coupes; one bought built up, the other still in the box.

DSCN8101.jpg

Phil, I worked for a fellow in Toronto that vintage raced one.  He bought it from California in the mid 80's and when he flew out to look at it the guy had it licensed for the street. 

Thanks guys. The back end of the car is now essentially completed except for the spoiler supports. Some finessing is required however. The digital photos show a few things that need to be improved such as the carburetor intakes which are resin and very fragile and got damaged with all the handling. I have robbed a nice set of machined venture stacks off a previous build which has sat on the shelf with hood closed for a number of years . I have pretty much ignored the front end so need to fit the wheels, brakes, steering, suspension, cooling system piping, etc.

I finally got around to paying some attention to the front end of the Lola. Although once fully completed the front section of the body will likely not be removed but I want what is under the skin to at least resemble what would be seen on a 1/1 Lola and plan to photograph it before the body is installed. The Lola front suspension and steering system differs from the Ford GT-40 in that the Lola has front mounted brake calibers and the steering rack is to the rear. I added some extra detail to the front bulkhead, an upper sway-bar and water lines back from the radiator.

DSCN4391DSCN4397DSCN4394

A pretty incredible project.

Curious how you are fabricating parts?

Are you using a Circut/Silhouette printer for some things?

Thanks Brian for your compliment but all the parts are either from other kits, the after-market or fabricated from workbench materials such as styrene, brass and aluminium tube etc. Although I would like to, I have never got into machining, casting, vacuum forming or 3D printing