Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lola T70 Mk2 1/24 scale- Under Glass

Phildaupho

After building nothing but hot rod [mainly 32 Fords] models for the last year and half I was looking for a change of pace, so decided to get back to another aspect of my car obsession – vintage race cars of the 1960’s. As a nice segue from the Dan Gurney Tribute Deuce 5-W I recently completed I decided to get back to work on the previously started model of the car that inspired the design of the Deuce which is Dan Gurney’s 1966 LolaT70, which was the only Ford powered car to win a Can-Am race [Bridgehampton]. The Lola T70 is maybe my all time favorite racecar. Back when used racecars were relatively cheap I thought a T70 would make a very cool road car.  
I have wanted to build a model of a T70 for a long time. Many years ago I broke down and paid the asking price for an old IMC Mecom Lola T70 Mark I. This is a nice little kit but the emphasis is on little as it is off scale somewhere between 1/24 and 1/32.  Then I noticed Tamiya had re-released their 1/24 Lola T70 slot car body so I had a starting point for my project and one thing lead to another.

I have assembled what I think will be the necessary parts
-    Tamiya 1/24 Lola T70 slot-car body [the body has the basic shape but will require a lot of modifications]
-    Fred Cady decals which I have had for a number of years in anticipation of this project
-    Fujimi Ford GT40 chassis, interior, suspension, tires  [Both the Lola T70 and Ford GT40 evolved from the earlier Lola Mk6 Coupe]
-    White metal Mini-Exotic Lola wheels
-    MPC Eagle engine, transaxle and rear suspension
-    Gurney Weslake heads mastered by Stephen Roullier and cast by Stephen Miller [The HRM heads and intake manifold are cast with the block so will need to be removed]
-    Headers from the MPC Olsonite Eagle
I also have lots of research material
-    Dave Freidman’s book Lola – Can-Am and Endurance Race Cars borrowed from a friend
-    Photos I took of the car at the 2010 Monterey Reunion
-    Articles on the Gurney Weslake engine

-   I have two Tamiya 1/12 Coupes; one bought built up, the other still in the box.

DSCN8101.jpg

Edited by Phildaupho

Yup! I'm joining the crowd too! Now, I learned something interesting by checking out this thread. I didn't know that the Ford GT-40 evolved from Lola Mk6 Coupe. I never would have guessed that! I too have the huge 1/12 scale Tamiya kit of the Lola............heaven knows if I'll ever get to that one!

I see you're using Harold's engine kit for this one-------can't go wrong with that! Harold is one of the best resin guys out there and a really nice guy to boot! I've known him for years, and he certainly sweats the details in all of his items.

Great subject Phil, I too will follow your build closely. Often thought of detailing slot car bodies, the old AMT Mecom Hussein and Monogram Scarab are current WIPs, so this will be interesting. The collection of Gurney cars you're building is a wonderful tribute!

Cheers Misha

Yup! I'm joining the crowd too! Now, I learned something interesting by checking out this thread. I didn't know that the Ford GT-40 evolved from Lola Mk6 Coupe. I never would have guessed that! I too have the huge 1/12 scale Tamiya kit of the Lola............heaven knows if I'll ever get to that one!

I see you're using Harold's engine kit for this one-------can't go wrong with that! Harold is one of the best resin guys out there and a really nice guy to boot! I've known him for years, and he certainly sweats the details in all of his items.

The great thing about this forum is that there are people out there who can give advice. It has been pointed out to me that the Lola T70 used a Hewland transaxle rather than the Coletti which is part of Harold's Ford GT40 engine kit and advised that I should look at the correct Hewland in the MPC Eagle Indy car which I fortunately have a couple in my closet.

Body/Chassis/Engine progress

Body – so far have enlarged the cockpit opening, molded in new front vent based on GT40 part, added inner material to rear fender top vents, added nose beak.

Chassis – trimmed various parts of chassis structures to fit under body work, widened chassis floor to meet body, trimmed seats to leave only right seat, filled area under missing left seat, removed  dash area from front bulkhead in preparation for new dash and bulkhead cross member

Engine – now using MPC Eagle engine, correct Hewland transaxle, rear suspension and cross member

DSCN4110DSCN4112

• 2 weeks later...

DSCN4162DSCN4164

More bodywork creating fuel filler location, rear fender vents and front body suspension adjusting holes. Even during 1966 the car ran in many different configurations of vents, ducting and even engine induction. My version is largely based on how the restored car looked in photos I took in 2010 although the model will have the correct early Weber carbureted Gurney Weslake Ford.

The real car has numerous separate body panels but I have chosen for strength and integrity to eventually only separate the rear body work although the entire front section will be removable as a single assembly.

In regard to the tub I have widened the side tanks to fit the body and enclosed the sides. I re-fabricated the front bulkhead and dash area. The rear bulkhead has been given some shape with the roll bar assembly coming next.

I have been on a bit of a roll with this project and wanted to get a few modifications done before other things got in the way. In the last couple of days I have finalized the shape of the rear bulkhead, established the roll bar location, separated the rear body section from the rest of the body and mocked up the front and rear spoilers, which are made from baking, pan aluminum.  In front I attached a mounting lip to the body while in back I cut a slot into the body.

DSCN4166DSCN4168

Coming along very nicely, Phil!

Thanks Steve - I am now at a point where I realise I am going to have to virtually complete the engine-transaxle-rear suspension assembly as virtually a complete and separate model to establish its location and attachment within the tub as well as the shape of the cut-outs above on the engine cover and the NACA duct behind it and the opening under the engine in the tub.

... I didn't know that the Ford GT-40 evolved from Lola Mk6 Coupe. I never would have guessed that!

The main reason for that is because Eric Broadley was the founder and chief designer at Lola. Following the success of the Lola MkVI,  he was hired by Ford to do much of the design work that transformed the original Fort GT into the world-beating GT40.

The T70 was designed by Broadley largely using lessons learned on the MkVI and GT40 projects.

I've done a fair amount of work on Chevy-powered T70 coupes over the years, both when they were still mid-field real race cars and much later as historic racers.

Great project, one of my favorites. I'll be following along.   :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 4 weeks later...

Since the last update I have made numerous modifications to the rear of the Lola after studying many Internet images. The area of the tub/chassis surrounding the engine has received additional structure and detail, which is evident by comparing it to the box-stock GT40 tub/chassis. The engine cover/rear bodywork now has a NACA scoop behind the cut out for the carburetors and I added slight flares to the tops of the wheel wheels. The area under the engine has been opened up and slots have been established in the bottom of the tub for the lower suspension struts. Changes made to the front body since the previous update are not as apparent. The tops of both doors have been extended inwards and the left side door now has inner structure. On the bottom side I filled some of the areas left open on the slot-car body. The model is now getting to the stage that I can start focusing more on the engine and suspension.

DSCN4213DSCN4211DSCN4214