Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/16 karmann ghia

kpnuts

Great paint on the body, and nice weathering on the engine! I was curious if the kit represents the older Karmann Ghias from around '55 or so? The front fenders seem "rounder" than the later ones, and you never see any of the '50's Ghias at the shows or otherwise.

Well, if I don't already have enough models, this is definitely one I may want to grab before they become unobtainium! :D

Hi all here is the next update, I'm finding it difficult not to over do the weathering, I'm going for well cared for but used, thing is I love making things old and neglected I think it makes a subject more interesting, keeping that in check is proving extremely difficult, but I have to as the spray job is one of the best I've done, I'm really proud of the gloss (although I think that's just down to the great cheap paint) (incidentally I checked out thing me bobs where my missus said they sold it in metallic colours (only gold and silver in metalic) but even better bargain only a quid a can, of course I couldn't resist so I bought another 5 cans.

IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/232yae.jpg

Hi all well i ruined the rear window, got glue all over it, then panicked tried to get it off had glue on my fingers and got some on the body.

It's not perfect but will have to do

I think I will be able to hide some of the glue marks on the body one mark is under the door handle so when fitted hopefully it won't notice and the other I think I can polish out.

Why is it I seem to be able to ruin even the best of kits, I thought this was going to be one of my best (spraying always seems to be my achillies heal and this was perfect) but it's gone down hill since then, I am so cross I could hurl it in the bin, it is taking super human will not to, the doors don't fit well (that's why the doors are open) the chrome trim won't stay straight yet another kit ruined, and I thought I was over my bad spell, I recon I've got the bad modeler gene.

I think your doing just fine Ken!! I'm a HUGE VW fan, especially the Karmann Ghia!! These kits are notoriously hard to build, and I think that your doing just fine. The door and chrome fit are no reflection on your modeling skills at all. I think it looks GREAT!!B)

I would hate to see you bin it, Ken. Did you test fit all of the moving panels before shooting paint? That is pretty much mandatory with kits like this. You also have to think about paint thickness when test fitting the panels. If they are too tight before paint they will not fit right afterwards.

if the glue on the windows isn't too bad you can sand it out. Start with 600 grit and work your way up to 1200 or 1500 and then shoot clear on them.

Mark

Edited by astroracer

Yeah, that's MrObsessive rule #1 when it comes to whenever I'm building something. I'll test fit things to death, in fact painting is mostly one of the last things I'll do after everything else is built up and opening panels are working without binding. Even then, sometimes I get bitten by the odd part that fights going in, but it's saved me a lot of grief over the years.

I'd sure hate to see you toss this one. If it's at all possible, maybe you could disassemble it, strip the paint, put it back in the box and tackle it again some other time?

As Mark said, the glass can be salvaged with some polishing cloths, or if you're skilled enough------make your own windows using clear stencil sheet. The glass has simple curves to it, so that wouldn't be terrible difficult. It's up to you though.

Hi all well I'm calling this done I've tried sorting the doors, one shuts okish the other I saved the hinge too much and got glue on it so now it's permanently open, I've decided only to look at the good bits I consider I've done on a kit, rather than look at the bad so I'm really happy with the paint job on this, it's super shiney and level ( painting is always my worst bit) so overall I'm happy with this build.

• 1 month later...

Looks like something is interfering with the hood end engine cover, keeping them from closing. Up front, can you lower the spare tire? Or maybe even cut the bottom of it off (it won't show) to allow it to sit lower, thus allowing the hood to close completely.