Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kid Stuff

SfanGoch

Now all the purse-snatchers are working in phone-scam boiler rooms. Even the crooks are getting candy-assed.

I've seen those "Psychotic Friends Network" commercials. You know, the scam endorsed by Dionne Warwick. A buck a minute. Nice payday, it is.

It does amaze me that, in this day and age, there are people who ignore the fact that we have stuff like deodorant available. It's really noticeable on a crowded Manhattan-bound A train. 

Maybe a lot of them are using the environmentally-friendly stuff made from ethically-harvested fern spores and free-range-snail mucus.

Doesn't do much for stopping BO but makes you feel special about stinking to high heaven.

Heck, we just go to the crick put a piece of chicken on a string and catch crawdaddies all day long...  Them's is good eating.  :)

Never had crawdads, but chicken livers is ideal for catching catfish........ We have a river that runs along our town that used to be safe to eat from, I wouldn't eat from there now if I had to.................... :wacko:

It's a mystical, magical subterranean wonderland full of adventure, thrills and excitement. And lots of bums and annoying panhandlers. No need to go to Six Flags when you can experience the same, if not better, for the price of a slice of pizza.

Joe do you help out the panhandlers with some change once in a while???

There's gotta be an easier way to make a buck. Whatever happened to good old fashioned purse snatching?

Harry that's not legal but I really believed snatching I-phones had taken it's place....

Joe do you help out the panhandlers with some change once in a while???

I stopped that a long time ago. I stomped the carp out of some ballsy skell who was stupid enough to yank my shoulder demanding some change.

There is one exception. There's an old Puerto Rican dude that I've known for almost twenty years. He plays his Strat on the G train. He is a genuine hippie throwback. He has his battery powered amp set up on a luggage cart and plays some of the best guitar this side of Jimi. He doesn't pressure anyone for a handout. Doesn't have to. Everybody loves the guy. My son and I have taken him to lunch a lot of times or we'll hang out at the park with some eats from the cuchifrito store and a couple of beers. This is a good dude and I always appreciate and enjoy his company when we run into each other. I see a lot of "homeless" millennials around in the Village and Lower East Side. What's odd is that almost all of them have Macbooks and iPhones. You can afford s**t like that; yet, you have the nerve to ask me, or anyone else, to feel sorry for your predicament? Sell your stuff, get a job or starve. No skin off my fat Polak *ss.

Wow, you guys are weird.

My mom always found our food at the supermarket. :P

Harry, southern guys can do without supermarkets sometimes.

Crabbing was so easy when I was a kid.  Just drop a line from the side of a timber bridge along the coast, anything meaty on the end, the silly blue crabs would bite so hard into the meat you could pull the line up at your leisure.  Deviled crab is something good.  Read the body was fist sized, just a little flatter.  Real good southern sea food.  Well, the water was at least salty.  :D   The ocean was a few miles away.

Giving characters change is in Euro land ridiculous.  Stop and toss a coin, you'll have a pickpocket at your side real soon.

Here they are all organized.  You go shop, they steal your stuff where you live.  No beggars.

Edited by 10thumbs

I remember the organized gangs of kids in Nurnberg, Frankfurt, Berlin, Hamburg and Munich. They'd distract a mark (usually a tourist or a dumb GI  :) ) and the others would snatch his/her stuff before the mark knew what happened. Best place for scoring some loot is at restaurants with outdoor seating that have a table high barrier fence. Most tourists pile their bags on an empty seat or on the table. The little m***********s stroll by, grab whatever they can and disappear into the street crowd. Most people won't hop over that short barrier to tackle them. Don't want to dirty their duds, I guess.

I stopped that a long time ago. I stomped the carp out of some ballsy skell who was stupid enough to yank my shoulder demanding some change.

There is one exception. There's an old Puerto Rican dude that I've known for almost twenty years. He plays his Strat on the G train. He is a genuine hippie throwback. He has his battery powered amp set up on a luggage cart and plays some of the best guitar this side of Jimi. He doesn't pressure anyone for a handout. Doesn't have to. Everybody loves the guy. My son and I have taken him to lunch a lot of times or we'll hang out at the park with some eats from the cuchifrito store and a couple of beers. This is a good dude and I always appreciate and enjoy his company when we run into each other. I see a lot of "homeless" millennials around in the Village and Lower East Side. What's odd is that almost all of them have Macbooks and iPhones. You can afford s**t like that; yet, you have the nerve to ask me, or anyone else, to feel sorry for your predicament? Sell your stuff, get a job or starve. No skin off my fat Polak *ss.

Some guys here make a living holding up their sign for money. You begin to recognize them after you see them over and over.. 

Some guys here make a living holding up their sign for money. You begin to recognize them after you see them over and over.. 

There's a guy hangs out near the local mall with a HOMELESS sign. He has a cell phone and a German Shepard. The dog looks clean, well-fed and healthy. NICE looking dog.

When I see a "WILL WORK FOR FOOD" sign, I like to yell, "Yup, that's how I get mine! You are clear on the concept! Good for you!"

I remember the organized gangs of kids in Nurnberg, Frankfurt, Berlin, Hamburg and Munich. They'd distract a mark (usually a tourist or a dumb GI  :) ) and the others would snatch his/her stuff before the mark knew what happened.

In the Philippines, a group of kids would swarm you while one of them cut your back pocket open with a razor and swiped your wallet- some kids tried that on me once, but I was hip to their trip and slung a couple of them out into the street. That's when I started carrying my wallet in my front pocket.

There used to be many local foundries in NYC that made sewer and manhole covers, the sewer gratings which were located on corner intersections, manhole covers for utility companies and coal chute covers which were found in front of older (100+ years) brownstones. They all went out of business because of cheaper stuff from places like India. The coal chute covers are historically interesting because they contain the names and addresses of the old foundries. My son and I like to see how many different companies we can find when we walk around and find coal chute covers. Believe it or not, these col chute covers can command big bucks at antique shops. 

Back in the mid '70s, Miller Brewing Company was the original importer of Lowenbrau. By pure coincidence ;) , there was a Miller distributor across the Newtown Creek in Long Island City. We used to "find" cases of Lowenbrau which we would take to our favorite grocery store and either exchange the cases for cold ones or sell them to the guy for six bucks/case. Unfortunately, our luck finally ran out. During one of our expeditions, We opened the sliding door at the rear of one of the delivery trucks in expectation of liberating some more suds. There wasn't any beer. There was, however, a very pissed off Doberman Pinscher attached with enough chain to go around both sides of the truck. From that time, we had to settle for the half gallons of Mountain Rhine we got out of the Gallo Brothers warehouse near our hangout in the park. Ah, the folly of yoots!