Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2's new AMT 2016 Camaro SS FULL DETAIL kit: First look/detailed overview (and I'm not kidding about that full detail comment....)

tim boyd

While there  aren't many new cars I like I plan on buying multiples of the full detail kit. I hope Round 2 does a full detail C7 Corvette, seeing as Revell is dropping the ball by only doing only glorified toys, oops I mean snap kits of the C7. After the Revell Camaro and  Cuda body issues Revell could stand the competition. We, (I) want a full detail C7 

If it's molded in a cool color--a metallic green would be great, metallic orange even better!--I'll probably buy one.

I had heard silver, but I think in the last Round 2 new products video, the spokeperson said Garnet Red.

That is one super kit !! In my opinion ,  every one should at least buy one of these groungbreaking kits , if for nothing else to exhibit our -- the hobbiests' -- support for Round2 and their growth .

Very few newer cars do it for me ; however I do rather like the new Camaro. .. This one is going to end up in my collection !

I like the potable front wheels , but would like to see Round2 offer an option : one " simplified" steering setup , and one detailled setup.

Thanks for the comprehensive review and photos , Tim! 

I had heard silver, but I think in the last Round 2 new products video, the spokeperson said Garnet Red.

It looks like they are doing both red and silver versions.  Either 2 versions of the snap kit, or the red is a PP version of the full detail kit. 

Looks like a very well designed and engineered kit. A lot of time went into this one. My only negative comment would be that while a nice idea in theory, the defroster lines look heavy-handed and way out of scale. Would have been better to just engrave thinner lines into the glass and leave it at that.

Not a Camaro guy but I might pick one of these up.  OTOH, if Round 2 gives up a new Mustang with the same level of detail I'd pick several of them and the Camaro.  Re: snap kits  I've thought of getting the new Ford GT from Revell but I'm still not certain of the efforts needed to turn it into a Daytona/Le Mans race car even as a snapper.  I'm certain there's more to it than slapping a wing on the back.  But on a kit of this ilk I've no problem with a snap kit.  The alternative is no kit at all.  Similar to the Fujimi GT40's: curbside w/no engine detail but that hasn't prevented me from getting 5-6 of them of various types..

Edited by The Junkman

Wow...not really my area of interest, but the idea of Round 2 tooling up new full-detail kits caught my attention!

Thanks for the comprehensive review and photos, also for pointing out all the features that "step it up" over older kits or even modern competitors' kits.

The idea of maybe some modern truck kits in this kind of detail...oh man, would that ever be awesome. I might even find myself building late-models again.

Pretty cool to see a new hat in the ring!

Kinda with Harry on the pre-print assessment, but I'll deal. THANKS MUCH for the overview, Tim!

Yeah, the tire profiles. Used to be Revell doing the proper low profiles while AMT did 15" EVERYTHINGS, but a funny thing happened on the way to the aughts - 

IMGP1701-vi.jpg

IMGP1702-vi.jpg

Turns out tire profile was one of a few key advantages AMT's 5th-gen (top, Red Jewel Tint) had over the (bottom Inferno Orange) Revell kit.  The GT and C7 'Vette indicate R/M have found their way back, though.

I'm also an engine dogmatist even though I don't argue like one - though I WILL say poseable steering is just as important if not more so, 'cause you see far more cars out in the wild with their wheels steered than with their hoods open. 

:)

Ham-handed tie rod is okay, long as there's an undertray covers it up. Rest looks pretty bitchin' to my eye... 

Originally the kits were going to be molded in white or black.  Then at some point they decided to mold it in Garnet Red instead. There was never any plan to mold it in silver. Also it's MOLDED in Garnet Red, not pre-painted like the dumbed down Revell kits. Just because the box art car is silver doesn't mean the contents are...otherwise I demand the '57 Del Rio gasser be recalled and replaced with ones molded in Gold Metalflake. 

The SnapTite kit will be on the shelves at the end of the month. 

The glue kit is getting two releases in September.  One molded in white, and one molded in, you guessed it, Garnet Red.

When the mood strikes me and I build this one (soooo many projects in mind now!), I would do it in the Garnet Red. To me that's what suits this car best..............white not so much. Nice, but the lines of the car demand IMO something more dynamic such as that electric blue color (not sure what they call it) or the Garnet Red.

I've avoided any of the models of newer cars because of lack-of-detail/curbside appearance of the models. Will definitely consider buying one of these. Paint color should be like Bill said, something bright like the new GM electric blue or the burnt orange.

Edited by 58 Impala

It really seems to me that everyone talks like they are going to trip over their feet making a mad rush to get this kit just because it is a full detail kit. I have to wonder if this full detail Camaro got that response. :huh:

It's from the RC2 era of AMT of the 2006 Concept, but was the FIRST NEW GENERATION Camaro kit available, before Revell's full detail production version and Round2's Showroom Replica curbside versions. Though the concept doesn't have nearly the parts count of the new release, it still is a full detail kit, and has always made me wonder why Round2 was not smart enough to have a full detail kit of the previous Showroom Replica versions all along. :huh:

It really seems to me that everyone talks like they are going to trip over their feet making a mad rush to get this kit just because it is a full detail kit. I have to wonder if this full detail Camaro got that response. :huh:

It's from the RC2 era of AMT of the 2006 Concept, but was the FIRST NEW GENERATION Camaro kit available, before Revell's full detail production version and Round2's Showroom Replica curbside versions. Though the concept doesn't have nearly the parts count of the new release, it still is a full detail kit, and has always made me wonder why Round2 was not smart enough to have a full detail kit of the previous Showroom Replica versions all along. :huh:

There are people in FB modeling groups claiming the new 6th gen kit is derived from this one, which I find highly unlikely, considering the differences between the concept, the production 5th gen and the 6th gen car..

Edited by Rob Hall

There are people in FB modeling groups claiming the new 6th gen kit is derived from this one, which I find highly unlikely, considering the differences between the concept, the production 5th gen and the 6th gen car..

It is VERY unlikely, because just as the pic of step 4 posted previously above shows with the new suspension, in the concept's kit all of that and also the driveshaft is molded as one piece. The 2006, while being a full detail, is still simplified compared to the new one, and the only thing I could even imagine the 2016 having anything in common or being derived from the 2006 would maybe be the frame and main body, but I think that is even highly unlikely!

By the way, how is this considered a "6th Gen" car?? I also heard it referenced to that on the Velocity Channel's "How It's Made: Dream Cars" and I'm sorry, but I do not see much if any difference in the main body shell to the 5th Gen car to make this a new generation Camaro. Honestly to me, it would be like saying early 70s F Bodies were 2nd Gen and later 70s models were 3rd Gen. There were updates to the front and rear of those F bodies and even larger rear window openings to the main body shell around the 76 model years but even with those changes those cars are all classified as Gen 2 F Bodies from 1970 1/2 to 1981, and that is honestly all I'm seeing to the 2016, new front and rear end treatments and maybe a little slight change to the rear quarter windows, but nothing large enough to make it a new generation car. 

By the way, how is this considered a "6th Gen" car?? I also heard it referenced to that on the Velocity Channel's "How It's Made: Dream Cars" and I'm sorry, but I do not see much if any difference in the main body shell to the 5th Gen car to make this a new generation Camaro. Honestly to me, it would be like saying early 70s F Bodies were 2nd Gen and later 70s models were 3rd Gen. There were updates to the front and rear of those F bodies and even larger rear window openings to the main body shell around the 76 model years but even with those changes those cars are all classified as Gen 2 F Bodies from 1970 1/2 to 1981, and that is honestly all I'm seeing to the 2016, new front and rear end treatments and maybe a little slight change to the rear quarter windows, but nothing large enough to make it a new generation car. 

It's all new. Despite your thinking how it doesn't look much different than the 5th gen. New chasiss, new body.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Camaro_(sixth_generation)

5th gen was on the Zeta platform, shared w/ the Holden Commodore/Pontiac G8/Chevy SS/Caprice...    6th gen is on the Alpha platform w/ the Cadillac ATS and 3rd gen CTS.

The dimensions differ as well, the new car has an approx 2 inch shorter wheelbase and 2 inch shorter body.  Slightly narrower and lighter also...

Edited by Rob Hall

By the way, how is this considered a "6th Gen" car??

Entirely new platform; previous car sourced from Australian GM, which is going away, new platform all-new shared with Cadillac. Why GM made it look so much like the previous is beyond me, and customers are buying more Mustangs and Challengers; the old Camaro even in its last year outsold the all new one...that is not good. GM did not go far enough IMHO to differentiate this all-new Camaro from the previous car. 

Entirely new platform; previous car sourced from Australian GM, which is going away, new platform all-new shared with Cadillac. Why GM made it look so much like the previous is beyond me, and customers are buying more Mustangs and Challengers; the old Camaro even in its last year outsold the all new one...that is not good. GM did not go far enough IMHO to differentiate this all-new Camaro from the previous car. 

That's why I was wondering, because IMHO too it doesn't look like a new generation car. The C7, for example, is easy to distinguish from the old C6, but GM just made this "new" generation Camaro just like a facelift to me, and obviously by the sales you mentioned, so do many others. As Rob mentioned too, a little nip here and a little tuck there, that is like the "Scale Nazis" complaining about a 1/25th scale kit not being 1/24th and vise versa, to me there is not enough difference to see without a tape measure, as with the differences between the scales.

Basically in modeling terms, the 5th Gen Camaro was the "wrong" scale 1/24th scale and now the 6th Gen is now the new and improved "right" 1/25th scale version! :lol::lol::lol::lol: