Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project Barely 'Cuda

Darin Bastedo

BarelyCuda2-vi.jpg

Starting Out with The drawing above, and the Monogram 1971 Hemi 'Cuda Street Machine below...

DSCF1680-vi.jpg

and Embarked on an epic journey of X-acto knives, styrene dust, super glue, and primer that resulted in the in progress shots below. I Started by cutting the roof off and replacing it with the cowl, deck, and windshield from the Monogram Callaway Corvette Speedster. That, and the pie cut section from the front of the fender to the back of the door, gives Barely 'Cuda it's basic look. Some changes were made from the original scetck, as work progressed, all to enhace the look and feel of the car. Seeing How the finished product will be liberally covered in Cobra Colors Fuchsia Pearl from their "Fire Pearls" line, The way light reflects off the surfaces of the body is very important. I enhaced the faceted look of the original car, leaving no body panel untouched. One of the more radical mods include rolled under rocker panels that have the exhaust system exiting and re-entering the bodywork. A full belly pan will hide the fact that this is a curbside.

DSCF1755-vi.jpg

DSCF1765-vi.jpg

DSCF1766-vi.jpg

DSCF1768-vi.jpg

DSCF1770-vi.jpg

DSCF1772-vi.jpg

DSCF1773-vi.jpg

DSCF1774-vi.jpg

DSCF1776-vi.jpg

DSCF1843-vi.jpg

DSCF1845-vi.jpg

Hope I didn't bore you guys too much. As things get less crazy around the house and the weather gets warmer I should be able to throw some colors on it and fnish this beast.

Darin Bastedo

THAT is one wicked 'Cuda, Darin! I love the exhaust treatment and how you made the channel for the exhaust. Nice.

You'll be amazed with the Cobra Colors "Fire Pearl" line of paint. I have used the Scarlet Pearl color on one of the Retro Hobby trikes and the black base really makes a difference in the pearl effect. Will it be one color or are there plans for the black hood as well?

Keep us posted........

THAT is one wicked 'Cuda, Darin! I love the exhaust treatment and how you made the channel for the exhaust. Nice.

You'll be amazed with the Cobra Colors "Fire Pearl" line of paint. I have used the Scarlet Pearl color on one of the Retro Hobby trikes and the black base really makes a difference in the pearl effect. Will it be one color or are there plans for the black hood as well?

Keep us posted........

Thanks Dave,

It will be painted almost exactly as it is in the Drawing. I can't wait to see the color on the model. It already looks great in the bottle!

Looking good Darin. Can't wait to see it finished. I like the art rendering too.

Hey Dirk,

we actually met once back in 2001 at a show in Spartanburg SC. I bent your ear for quite a while asking you questions about how you did your AMT Slammer based black street rod. I would love to see that model posted here. I thank you for your kind compliments, your work has inspired me a lot too.

Darin

Hey Dirk,

we actually met once back in 2001 at a show in Spartanburg SC. I bent your ear for quite a while asking you questions about how you did your AMT Slammer based black street rod. I would love to see that model posted here. I thank you for your kind compliments, your work has inspired me a lot too.

Darin

Y'know, Dirk's Super Coupe slammer conversion is one of my all-time favorite models ever. It's so sinister and so well executed; he made it look so easy as if the model just popped out of the box like that. Truly inspiring! Let's just say I made sure I had one of those kits in my stash that might someday turn out to be half as cool.

Darin, I LOVE this Barracuda conversion. Looks like you've got a good start at stirring up Mark Gustavson's Custom Clinic for next year. Good luck with it!

Hey Dirk,

Darin

Thanks for the compliment, Darin & Bob! In another post, Gregg was asking me about my son B.J. That car was actually built about the time he was coming into this worl. There was a license plate with "B.J." on the tag, but at a GoodGuys show in Charlotte, someone picked up the car, the license plate fell of, and I've just never made another one.

That project you have going there is super cool. I'm more of a Cevy guy, but the cuda is one of my favorites. What you are doing really works well with the lines and all. As for inspiration...so many of you guys inspire me and selflessly provide tips, that I'm always anxious to share the little bit of information I have. After all, that's what our hobby is about. Like Mark Jones has in his signature line, "...build it for yourself..."

TTYL

• 4 years later...