Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished Jack Chrisman's Comet Roadster 8-22-16

Marlowe

Cool model Marlowe.

I have further questions though.  Could you in short, school me about die cast?

The body for instance, if it was flawed, like an indentation, how would you correct it? 

Can the die cast metal be soldered?  How, or what to do to add or lessen frame tubing?  How do you connect different parts?  CA?

Cool model Marlowe.

I have further questions though.  Could you in short, school me about die cast?

The body for instance, if it was flawed, like an indentation, how would you correct it? 

Can the die cast metal be soldered?  How, or what to do to add or lessen frame tubing?  How do you connect different parts?  CA?

Thanks for the compliment and questions.  I'll try my best to answer your questions.  

When the bodies are flawed with scratches or indentations, that's an easy fix.  You can simply use spot putty to fill in the area, file, sand, and paint.  With this particular model, I took the lazy man's route and used an existing tube chassis from another model.  The model I used was a 1970 Pontiac GTO of Don and Roy Gay by Ertl.  They used a Stage 3 Logghe chassis but I modified it to give more of a look of the Stage 1.  It isn't precise, but is the lazy man route.  The other option would be to scratch build a chassis which as I'm sure you realize, is significantly more work.  

I did a scratch build on my Maynard Rupp Chevoom car.  My soldering skills are woefully bad so rather than struggle with soldering, I used JB Weld to connect the frames pieces together.  It has worked great and the pieces are solidly together without any issues.  Here's a few photos of the chassis I built for the Chevoom.  

Thanks for the reply Marlowe.  I don't about your solder skills, but you sure know how to bend frame tubes, looks good.  If you can do that, you could be soldering in 5 minutes.  You can do  it.

Can the die cast metal be soldered with brass solders?  I guess it's mostly tin,  I'm just not familiar with the material, but I do like your obvious outlook concerning metal on models.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply Marlowe.  I don't about your solder skills, but you sure know how to bend frame tubes, looks good.  If you can do that, you could be soldering in 5 minutes.  You can do  it.

Can the die cast metal be soldered with brass solders?  I guess it's mostly tin,  I'm just not familiar with the material, but I do like your obvious outlook concerning metal on models.

Thanks again.

The diecast metal is called Zamak or Zamac.  It's composed of primarily zinc along with lesser quantities of aluminum, magnesium, and copper.  Can it be soldered?  My guess is that the solder won't adhere to the metal.  If you think you'd like to take the plunge with diecast, I'd recommend buying a cheap diecast model which can be had for $10 or $15 dollars, strip it of paint and experiment with it.