Model Cars Magazine Forum

FXX Updated 8-29-2016

ferrarijoe

Tamiya Ferrari FXX with addition of Scale Motorsport Super Detail Set , Studio 27 Interior carbon decals, and Hobby Design fuel filler ports. 

So i picked up this Scale Motorsport Super Detail set at a hobby shop in KC. It was on the self for a few years so asked if they would give me a discount on it. So they knocked it down to $100. Every where I have seen it it is $150 plus. After looking at it it has a lot of nice pieces, but leaves a lot out. It has all the exterior carbon to replicate Jean Todt's FXX and nice aluminum, 2 photo etched frets, and resin calipers. What i don't like is they don't include bolts for areas where the shocks mount or the engine bay supports. And no interior carbon, or wiring. It is a very nice kit but not what i consider super detail. So i will add so more detail myself. 

IMG_0356.jpg

The firewall details are sanded off and replaced by nice aluminum oil tank, and some styrene, with photo etched brackets.

DSC03465.jpg

DSC03467.jpg

DSC03487.jpg

Edited by ferrarijoe

When it comes to the engine bay supports the Detail Set has you cut the rod ends off and drill the shaft to except photo etched rod ends. I didn't like that idea so I bought some brass tubing, RB Motion rod ends, and Hobby Design Bolts and made my own. Will use the Detail set brackets.

this is the detail set rod ends 

And this is what I came up with.

• 2 weeks later...