Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Dodge Coronet R/T, 10/17, So Close I Can Taste It!!

StevenGuthmiller

I've been thinking about getting started on this MPC '69 Coronet so I got it out & started doing a little messing around with it.

I had decided quite a while ago that I would replace the chassis & engine with some modern kit parts, but I never dreamed that the parts from the AMT '70 Super Bee would virtually fall into place!

I guess it only makes sense as the '70 Coronet was originally an MPC kit & the bodies are basically the same in dimension.

I'll be able to use all of the chassis & engine parts as well as a few interior parts and the decals from that kit.

For some strange reason, the glass does not fit very well, so I'll be reconditioning the original glass.

Steve

photo DSCN5313_zpsdwpyvbgf.jpg photo DSCN5314_zpsozxzybcd.jpg photo DSCN5315_zpsbb6v3aej.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Looking forward to what you do with this kit, i have a couple of the coupes and convertibles in the stash,but finding the right color always stops me on some projects,would never have thought to use the 70'coronet chassis as a donor.

An intermediate??????

Strange huh? :D

But it's a rare kit, & I love the rare ones.

I've always loved the body style of the '68-'70 Plymouth & Dodge intermediates.

but finding the right color always stops me on some projects

I decided shortly after finding this kit that one of the very common & popular greens from '69 would be appropriate.

I settled on "F5 Medium Green".

What I haven't decided on is the top & interior.

I'm planning on a vinyl top but I'm undecided as to whether I should do it in white, or the popular dark green.

The top color will determine interior color.

If I go with white, I'm thinking a white & green combo interior.

If I go with the green top, a green interior would probably be the way to go.

I'm also undecided on the bumble bee stripe.

I'm leaning towards leaving it off altogether.

I think they're nice, but a little over done.

I'll be using the steel wheels & poverty caps from the Revell '68 Charger kit.

Steve

I decided shortly after finding this kit that one of the very common & popular greens from '69 would be appropriate.

I'm planning on a vinyl top but I'm undecided as to whether I should do it in white, or the popular dark green.

Steve

Very nice plans. I did the same thing several years back. May I make a suggestion? The '68 and '69 Doggies are different. Missing link has a very nice set of Dodge Doggies in their line. When I built mine, I used the doggies from the Liindberg '64 Dodge 330, which ironically are also correct. I have mocked up a R&R '68 Coronet R/T and '68 Charger R/T, as well as a Modelhaus '70 Charger R/T using a late AMT Chassis and drive train. The R&R body I have is not too bad at all, as I even have a '68 Plymouth Belvedere Sedan to do up as a Police Cruiser, or as a Cab.

Those '68 through '70 Plymouth and Dodge intermediates are some of my favorite cars.

May I make a suggestion? The '68 and '69 Doggies are different. Missing link has a very nice set of Dodge Doggies in their line. When I built mine, I used the doggies from the Liindberg '64 Dodge 330, which ironically are also correct.

I'm probably not fussy enough to justify another purchase for those hubcaps Ron.

Nothing is set in stone anyway, & there's always the possibility that I may go with a set of Magnums.

I've always liked the magnums anyway & if I use the steelies, I'll probably want to go with the redline tires which I never really liked.

But they just look "right" with steel wheels & dog dish caps.

The Magnums look better with white letters which I really like the look of.

So time will tell.

I won't worry too much about it until I'm ready to paint.

Steve

Steve! An intermediate! Who'da thunk it?? :P

Hey I like what I see so far, and you've confirmed something I've wondered about. I have a '68 Dodge Coronet Convertible body that's in dire need of a resto someday. I have the body with all that's needed with it buried deep in my stash on the third floor, and it crossed my mind a while back if this very thing would work. Now I see that it does!

If I can make one teensy-weensy suggestion about the body? If you could level the rear quarter window sills just a bit? For some reason, it always seemed liked it swept up a bit too "high" for me, but then I'm compulsive about things like that. ;)

I'll definitely be following this one!

Steve

If it helps any, here's my ancient (unrestored) JoHan '69 Road Runner done in AMT Surf Green, which isn't too far from your F5 Medium Green, Interior is white/black, and I've always thought it was a particularly sharp combination (white/green would be very similar).

BTW, I'm planning to do another one of these, same color combo, and display the pair as a "then and now" thing. This time I'll be using real F5 from Model Car World.

If I can make one teensy-weensy suggestion about the body? If you could level the rear quarter window sills just a bit? For some reason, it always seemed liked it swept up a bit too "high" for me, but then I'm compulsive about things like that. ;)

Now that I look at it, you're right.

It does look a little too high.

I thought only AMT did stuff like this like with the Road Runner kit.

MPC was usually pretty good about body proportions.

If it's something I can do pretty simply without throwing off the look of the rear window opening, I may investigate it.

I won't dive into a whole bunch of modifications if it does.

Steve

If it helps any, here's my ancient (unrestored) JoHan '69 Road Runner done in AMT Surf Green, which isn't too far from your F5 Medium Green, Interior is white/black, and I've always thought it was a particularly sharp combination (white/green would be very similar).

BTW, I'm planning to do another one of these, same color combo, and display the pair as a "then and now" thing. This time I'll be using real F5 from Model Car World.

69RR1.jpg

Looks like it needs a car wash Richard! :)

Actually I thought the paint that I had ordered months ago was B5, but I was mistaken.

The color I have is "Avocado Green" which was a name used in '68 & '69 by Mopar.

The one I have is the '68 Color which looks to be a little lighter & possibly closer to '69 "F3 Light Green".

Steve

69DodgeCoronetRT-02.jpg

I built one of these in almost the same combo you are planning. It was a resin 69 Coronet RT from Mini Exotics. I built it about 10 years ago and used the AMT chassis just as you are doing. I had to find an original interior for mine and I used a Ross Gibson 440 in it along with dog dish caps. I went with a bright met green and saddle interior. If it is alright with you I will add pics if you like.

I built one of these in almost the same combo you are planning. It was a resin 69 Coronet RT from Mini Exotics. I built it about 10 years ago and used the AMT chassis just as you are doing. I had to find an original interior for mine and I used a Ross Gibson 440 in it along with dog dish caps. I went with a bright met green and saddle interior. If it is alright with you I will add pics if you like.

Love to see them Raoul!

Steve

There was a special order green for Spring 1969 , too . It was very close to --if not the exact same-- as Chevy Rallye Green.

They actually had two--Rally Green, which is the same as the Chevy color, and Spring Green, which is just a hair lighter, I think.

Tamiya has a metallic green rattlecan that's pretty close to the Spring Green. I'm gonna do my old MPC Daytona in that, I think.

Ron... I don't remember ever seen a MOPAR hood like that. Is that a stock piece? Or custom?

Harry,

That is the standard 69 Coronet RT hood if the car was equipped with the Ramcharger package. It was standard with the MPC kit, but incorrect with a Hemi. My car is built as a 440 4 bbl  Magmum with the Track Pak option .

2009_0314march14090140.jpg

Edited by Ron Hamilton