Model Cars Magazine Forum

'90 Lincoln Mark VII stock chassis street car build

JTalmage

Yep, you heard me correctly, stock chassis. Not Pro Street. Car won't be stock, but the chassis of the car will be. I always loved the Revell Lincoln Pro Street kit. I finally got one to build up recently but I always thought about trying to turn it back into a stock chassis'd street car. Well, I went to a swap over the weekend and found the Lincoln Mark VII as a parts kit, and it was missing a lot of stuff but enough to do what I wanted to do with it. I also came across a glue bomb Revell Thunderbird Turbo Coupe as well. So I got them both. Got them home, and the hacking began. 

I scribed the sides of the Thunderbird engine bay until it popped out, and did the same with the Lincoln. I had to do a slight bit of sanding on the sides of the Tbird bay and it fit the Lincoln pretty well. And after a little bit of super glue it stayed in place. The interior will be modifed once I am at that point. I will be cutting out the sides and using the Mark VII door panels and dash. The seats and console will stay the same. The hood will be modified to be flat like a stock Mark VII. 

Other challenges I have ahead of me are a slight wheelbase issue. The front needs centered a little better, and the rear needs moved forward a lot. I think a slice from the chassis and a slice out of the interior tub will let the chassis move forward enough to put the wheels where they need to be. 

So here is where I am so far. 

Plans for the car are some Mustang Pony wheels from the 1/24 Revell/Monogram convertible. A 302 and 5 speed also from the 1/24 Revell/Monogram Mustangs. Then perhaps the supercharger setup from the Revell Saleen Mustang speedster. 

I did check out some pictures in comparison and the rear wheel openings are definitely moved forward a couple inches. I MIGHT move them back a little. I haven't decided. I didn't want to cut up the body on this thing but I still might. 

Mike echoes what I'd like to mention about the Lincoln body. You'd have to make some kind of "Z" cut just in front of the leading edge of the rear wheelwells, and then slice rearward to the trunk area. IMO, and this is just me, I think the C pillar itself is fine. It's the trunk and quarters (between the doors and rear wheelwells) that would need to be stretched just a bit.

I have a pic of the resin that was out there years ago. I think this is an AAM(?) original kit. However looking at it compared to a pic I have of the 1:1, it too seems a bit "short" in those areas.

DSC_5429-vi.jpg

side_view.jpg

It's up to you............either which way a lot of work, but then this is a car that IMO would be worth the trouble as it's certainly one of my favorites! :wub:

Edited by MrObsessive

Your conversion is Coming along very nice and will look forward for more updates.

I am doing something similar with my Lincoln, but go in another way in the chassis, I know it will not be correct/factory stock but since I wanted a street/performace/custom Lincoln I used the mid/late 1980's Mustang chassis/interior, it almost fit perfectly, some cuts here and there in thei interiors, used the Buick Grand National "BBS style" wheels and tires,  here is an old photo of this project, that is still pending to be finished...some day!!

image.jpg

Oh man!! I love it!! I was wanting to go with the same wheels but I couldn't remember what kit had them! Thanks for the tip. hopefully you don't mind me using the same idea. 

I really like the stance of yours as well. Once I get the wheelbase figured out and the chassis sorted out, I wanted mien to sit like that but a little lower out back. I am also going for the street performance car look.

What mustang kit did you use the chassis from?

How does the chassis/ engine bay from the revell lx notch fit under there? That's what I would use

I haven't tried it. But I would imagine it would be pretty close. I used the Tbird engine bay because it has the area below the windshield that the Mark also has, and in greater detail. But the engine bay itself would be nice from the Mustang. I will pull it out of the box and take a look sometime this weekend.

side_view.jpg

It's up to you............either which way a lot of work, but then this is a car that IMO would be worth the trouble as it's certainly one of my favorites! :wub:

Oh be still my heart.  I had a 1990 Lincoln Mk VII LSC, in the same light blue metallic with the factory BBS wheels, just as in Bill's picture above.  It was one of my all time favorite cars.   Wish I still had it.   

Sadly, today the closest you can get to this in a new car is the Mercedes S-Class Hardtop (S550?), which is a pretty cool car by the, but also WAY too expensive for my tastes.   Seems there just isn't a market for this type of car today - everyone is buying luxury SUV's instead.  Makes me very sad....

In the meantime, Bill, thanks for the memories!  

TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

In the meantime, Bill, thanks for the memories!  

TIM 

Tim, you're certainly welcome! Ford hit a home run with me when they came out with this car, as I was very disappointed to what they did to it after the "shrunken" 1980 models. Those were a bit of a letdown after the very classy '77-'79 models-----a car that when intro'd in late '76 was a heart stopper for me along with their super sharp new for '77 T-Bird. ALL of the guys that I knew when we were in high school back then lusted after that '77 Mark V! :wub: 

It's funny that this thread turned up at this time, as just last week when my sight started to get a lot better, I was looking over and "groking" this very body as it's something I'd like to tackle someday. I have most of the parts to get 'er done, just that there are other projects that are tugging at my heart strings more. ;)

My suggestion of what could be done to the body to make it right probably goes back 10 years or so when I got the Mark VII kit I have now, and I knew from first looking at it that there was some "shrinkage" done to the body to make it fit on the chassis.

Nevertheless, I'm watching this build with much interest as this is one of the very few vehicular bright spots in the '80's/early '90's IMO.

And yes, I don't care for the "everybody gotta have an SUV" mentality that's taken over the roads as well------I'll be glad when the pendulum swings back the other way and folks want an actual car again. At least that's my hope!

Edited by MrObsessive

Well, hopefully if I can get this spare body, I'll be doing some slicing and dicing. I'm no perfectionist but I'll do my best. Oddly enough I am more afraid to slice and dice plastic than I am metal on a real car. Especially when these Lincoln kits aren't cheap to buy on the web. 

Well, hopefully if I can get this spare body, I'll be doing some slicing and dicing. I'm no perfectionist but I'll do my best. Oddly enough I am more afraid to slice and dice plastic than I am metal on a real car. Especially when these Lincoln kits aren't cheap to buy on the web. 

Jesse, you wouldn't have to get a spare body to make your corrections............you can do like I did here with AMT's IMO incorrect '68 Roadrunner. 

It would sure save you a bunch of money! 

Jesse, you wouldn't have to get a spare body to make your corrections............you can do like I did here with AMT's IMO incorrect '68 Roadrunner. 

It would sure save you a bunch of money! 

I like what you've done there on the RR. But I'll only have shipping tied up in getting a body. No big deal. Plus, I'm not great at scale plastic bodywork. Especially after heavy mods like this. Real 1:1 body work I am great at though....

So if I can find some sections of a car that are exact proportions and shape, all I do is cut, superglue, brace, and go. 

Oh man!! I love it!! I was wanting to go with the same wheels but I couldn't remember what kit had them! Thanks for the tip. hopefully you don't mind me using the same idea. 

I really like the stance of yours as well. Once I get the wheelbase figured out and the chassis sorted out, I wanted mien to sit like that but a little lower out back. I am also going for the street performance car look.

What mustang kit did you use the chassis from?

Jesse the Revell 79 Camaro has the same wheels but the rear wheels are larger the the front...

• 9 months later...

This is pretty cool, Jesse. Have Ya' done any more with it?

How hard's it gonna be to move the entire rear clip back? Been thinkin' of doing one myself, but these kits are gettin' a bit harder to find for a budget.

Edited by MarvinGardens