Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another 83 Hurst Olds UPDATED 8/30/2016

randyc

Another Hurst Olds WIP.  Interior - this may be my best so far... I've figured out that I have to take my glasses off and hold everything about 6" from my face to get it right.  magnifiers or reading glasses mess up the depth perception.  I wear readers while working in general, but fine painting has to be up close.   The car is basically together - have to do the decals and lenses, I think.  I made the lens over the gauges out of some thin plex instead of the slightly distorted kit piece.

I did miss the chrome trim around the seat backs.  For the wood grain on console, I found I can either paint the brown, then add this strips of foil around the edges or foil the whole piece and paint out to the edge, leaving a thin strip of foil showing.  Makes a big difference in the final appearance I think.

I painted all the interior parts with spray bomb fabric/vinyl dye from auto zone.  The color is darker than it appears in the photos. The seat backs need a lot of filing and sanding to get rid of the seams on the headrest and tops of seat backs.  

Nice kit all in all - throw back to the 80s Monogram construction sorta.  

Couple more tips: If you are working on this kit, the windshield or frame needs a slight bit of filing to get it lay in perfectly.  I took a few swipes off at the base on the cowl, instead of the windows.  the side window edges can also benfit from a touch too, to get them to lay in better.    Also use a black marker or paint and paint the edges to make them disappear more.  And the real car has the black seal around the windows as well.   May as well paint that while you're at it.  Most of the pics I found show the grilles to be matte black, as well as the headlight surrounds and the back up strips between the rear bumper and deck lid.  

I'll post more pics whenever I get more done.

Randy

IMG_20160710_103700174.JPG

IMG_20160710_103738281 (1).JPG

IMG_20160710_103811223.JPG

IMG_20160710_103834568.JPG

IMG_20160710_2101156611.JPG

Edited by randyc

I saw the gray interior as well.   But I really wanted that pimpy 80s red.  There are tons of pics on the web for reference, so that's a good deal.  One thing I missed till too late was there are some details on the back seat interior sides as well.  Hard to find pictures of those, but if you;re really going for the detail...  I tried to get all I could, just to see how well I could detail paint it all.  Look at decal 17 {I think} on the decal sheet - not mentioned in instructions, but it is a card that goes on the shifters when delivered to remind driver of the special shifters... I figured mine would have been driven a little anyway.,..  Seems like there is one more decal too that isn't on the instructions.  

http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot.com/2015/03/hot-options-hurst-lightning-rods-1983.html

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  a few more pics.  Car is basically done.  I think I have the radiator hose left to install, touch up paint, clean it up, and decal the tires.  Here's a few pics from last work session on it - didn't have lenses, mirrors...

IMG_20160822_190544139_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160822_190554442.jpg

IMG_20160822_190623684.jpg

IMG_20160822_190635233_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160822_190642792_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160822_190708940_HDR.jpg