Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy SS Throwback Scheme...Not what you might think.

roadhawg

I'm not much of a Nascar fan anymore, but my 12 year old kid is. A couple weeks ago, he was telling me about the throwback paint schemes they're supposed to be running at Darlington. Since I raced on dirt tracks back in the 70s, he said "Dad, if you were racing in Nascar, you could run a throwback paint scheme of your old dirt car!"
I said "Yeah, I guess I could."
He said "Hey, why don't we build a model of what it would look like?"

LIGHT BULB!!!

This is the Revell Dale Jr. snap kit, pretty much OOB, I'm not savvy enough about modern Nascar to do any detail work. Decals are my own. I tried to keep the flavor of my old car, while making it look modern. Logan's Texaco was my dad's place, and where I worked. He was my biggest supporter.(If you've ever heard the Colt Ford song "Back", this was "That Texaco that Mr. Logan use to own....")

I'm too old to drive it, so I made my 12 year old kid the driver.
I haven't been building much lately, but this was only a three day project and a ton of fun! I'm already thinking about doing some other modern versions of older dirt cars I raced against.

First picture is the actual car, me on the left, my dad on the right.

0.jpg

1_1.jpg

2_1.jpg

3_1.jpg

6_1.jpg

5_1.jpg

4%20-%20Copy.jpg

Edited by roadhawg

Now those are some great decals! The 1/1 was a looker, too.

Tommy, in which class did you drive your '55? I've got a long-stalled 1970s dirt tracker '64 Fairlane project on which I'm using the same kind of deep steelies with a set of those big American Satco street tires. It basically will look like your '55; stock body and chassis with a small-block Ford.

Now those are some great decals! The 1/1 was a looker, too.

Tommy, in which class did you drive your '55? I've got a long-stalled 1970s dirt tracker '64 Fairlane project on which I'm using the same kind of deep steelies with a set of those big American Satco street tires. It basically will look like your '55; stock body and chassis with a small-block Ford.

Thanks again, y'all! Chris, classes were and still are kinda weird, pretty much track specific. I raced primarily at the Athens (Georgia) Speedway, but did race every now and then at Winder and Hartwell. At Athens Speedway, I was in the "A" Cadet division. (They had Rookie, "B" cadet, "A" Cadet, "B" class Sportsman, and "A" Class Sportsman). When I went to Winder, it was simply the Cadet division, and at Hartwell it was called the Hobby class. Dixie Speedway in Woodstock had "A" Hobby and "B" Hobby.  You could call yours anything like that and be ok I think.

• 2 weeks later...