Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '57 Chevy 150 "Black Widow"

phil

Historically Revell misses their first planned intro. date by 3 months to 2.5 years, sometimes they drag a release date a couple years before cancelling (how 'bout that CRX? :unsure: ).

Revell has gotten much better since the dragging-out by years subjects, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's late in the year before it hits.

• 9 months later...
I've got them in stock now, I'll try to get pictures and such up tomorrow. Quick review........, don't think anyone will be disappointed.

From what I understand, the kit is missing the correct 6-lug wheels and truck tires specific to the Black Widow, missing the exhaust dumps for the BW, doesn't include the correct front seat (passenger side seatback removed), no driver's shoulder bolster, no correct 12-bolt rear end, etc.

Nobody will be disappointed? :unsure:

At least two of those statements are false. It does have the six-lug wheels and it also appears to have correct front seats for either a stock or racing version. The one for the racing version does, indeed, have the passenger-side seat back removed, as most race teams in NASCAR's prehistoric days did to save weight.

Can't speak to the others, but even if true, those are minor quibbles that won't bother me in the least.

Have you not been following Len Carsner's and Bill Coulter's build-up reviews in the "On the Bench" section of the forum?

Doesn't bother me..I want to build at least one, in the stock plain 150 style.

Well the 6 bolt wheels are there, seat will need to be cut to make the race version. One thing I didn't find was rear seat, which I would like to have, but is not offered in the 150 utility version.

"...it also appears to have correct front seats for either a stock or racing version. The one for the racing version does, indeed, have the passenger-side seat back removed..."

"...seat will need to be cut to make the race version..."

Dueling reviews??? :lol:

From what I understand, the kit is missing the correct 6-lug wheels and truck tires specific to the Black Widow, missing the exhaust dumps for the BW, doesn't include the correct front seat (passenger side seatback removed), no driver's shoulder bolster, no correct 12-bolt rear end, etc.

Nobody will be disappointed? :lol:

From the Department of corrections: apparently it's not the 6 lug wheels that are missing, but the 5 lug wheels for the stock 150 version. Although if you use the hubcaps, it's a non-issue.

"...it also appears to have correct front seats for either a stock or racing version. The one for the racing version does, indeed, have the passenger-side seat back removed..."

"...seat will need to be cut to make the race version..."

Dueling reviews??? :(

One thing that does appear to be missing though, is the large upholstered "roll" (actually a trapezoidal cross section) section that was used on the right side of the driver's seat area, to support the driver's hips in the constant left turns of both dirt, and the early superspeedways. Easily made though.

Also, to be correct, although not easily seen, there was a short rollover bar installed underneath the dashboard, with two simple upright tubes, bent at right angle going across the underside of the top surface of the dash. One can, however, see this rollover bar in pics of the real car.

Also, to be prototypically correct, the undersides of the A-arms, top and bottom, were boxed in with sheet steel, to give extra rigidity to those parts. I'm also waiting to see if the kit has a correct 20-gallon gas tank, which would have extended into the space allotted to the spare tire well on the underside. And of course, there were steel gussets welded at all corners, where cross members joined the side frame rails. From SEDCO, the transmissions were the optional pickup truck 4spds as well.

Art

I'm assuming Revell decided to make the kit more of a stock 150, then the black widow. I think more people want too build a 150 out of the kit then the BW so I don't think the BW's missing parts will be missed. I'm gonna hit the hobby shop later this week too get one for sure. it appears too be well worth the $22.99 MSRP

My take on this is that in order for it to be economically feasible for Revell to produce this kit, it needed to have at least two building versions, and, to enable this one to be built as either a Black Widow or a stock 150, some compromises were necessary.

Why?

Why were some "compromises', like omitting several BW-specific parts that are VERY obvious on the car, necessary? Are you saying that including a handful of accurate, BW-specific parts in this kit was somehow unfeasible? If so, I'd love to hear your explanation.

Harry, I feel I've already thoroughly explained my position in our PM exchanges and I really don't feel the need to delve further into the matter here.

Suffice it to say, I think the bottom line is that Revell made the kit they way it made it. Nothing you, I or anyone else can say is going to change that. If Revell's efforts are acceptable to you, then buy the kit. If they aren't ... don't. It really is just that simple.

Yes, you're absolutely right on that point. Consumers should vote with their wallets.

The problem is, not all who buy this kit will have read about its shortcomings in online forums before they lay down their cash. Quite a few people will buy this kit blind, get it home, open it up and wonder where all the missing BW parts are. Is that really fair to the consumer?

I wonder how many of these kits would sell if the box top contained a simple consumer alert: "Note-some of the parts necessary to build an accurate replica of a Black Widow are NOT included in this kit. The builder must create these missing parts himself."

Why?

Why were some "compromises', like omitting several BW-specific parts that are VERY obvious on the car, necessary? Are you saying that including a handful of accurate, BW-specific parts in this kit was somehow unfeasible? If so, I'd love to hear your explanation.

Well, including a 2nd chassis, transmission, and and additional extra parts for a full-on race car would have driven the price up even further...they were no doubt working to a specific price point.

Edited by Rob Hall

i wonder, and this is because i've seen little information on the "Black Widow's" regarding the 1:1 cars. it seems that these were built one by one and may not have been perfectly matching from car to car? is it possible to really replicate a 1:1 Black Widow?

Dave

Who knows, and it is from over 50 years ago... I wonder how much documentation exists? Do any of the original race cars still exist? I've seen several street versions in magazines, I don't know if they were recreations or restorations.

Who knows, and it is from over 50 years ago... I wonder how much documentation exists? Do any of the original race cars still exist? I've seen several street versions in magazines, I don't know if they were recreations or restorations.

Only a handful of "real" Black Widows were built. Any current "Black Widows" are recreations. The consensus is that no original ones still exist.

There was a booklet called "1957 Chevrolet Stock Car Competition Guide" released back in the 50s that had all the technical data and photos of the Black Widow. Not sure how available this booklet is today, but it might be worth a google or two.

From what I can see/understand, this kit represents the Black Widow as it was SHIPPED, not as it was after it was prepped by separate customers such as SEDCO, I may be wrong in this but we all know what happens when we ass-u-me something.

From what I can see/understand, this kit represents the Black Widow as it was SHIPPED, not as it was after it was prepped by separate customers such as SEDCO, I may be wrong in this but we all know what happens when we ass-u-me something.

GM didn't ship Black Widows to anyone. The car became a Black Widow only after SEDCO made their modifications to a stock 150 and turned it into a "Black Widow". So a kit that supposedly represents a "Black Widow" has to represent the car as modified by SEDCO, because until SEDCO did their thing, it wasn't a "Black Widow".