Model Cars Magazine Forum

A reasonably SERIOUS new-tool '70 Charger Revell is hiding in plain sight...

Yup, this:

UTC_Data1471499295703SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

Once again, my local RPP pusher apparently got a jump. and for thems of you what paid attention to the skill level and parts count announcements, allow me to confirm a suspicion you might have developed:

Goior2o-vi.jpg

This sucker has a lot more in common with the ProModeler '69/'68 variants than it does with the diecast.  It's very slightly simplified in isolated spots, but it hews very closely otherwise to the previous masters and design.  As it's been with the Rat Roaster, various '90s Monogram NASCAR kits, the running gear of R/M's '55 and '56/'57 Chevys, and confusingly retooled recent Mustang kits, it's very easy to mistake parts for carry-over from the '68/'69 - but except possibly for the tires and axle pins, EVERY PART IS NEW.  Many of them may be so identical as to interchange with their '68/'69 counterparts, but virgin steel was cut for this one.

Not used for this version are a console and its trim plate on the chrome tree.  The rear bumper is the only stock piece on a separate chrome tree that includes the wheels and many of the race parts, including a nicely done injector scoop from a sliding mold - yes, there's an inevitable parting line, but it's pretty faint.  The white F&F parts are grouped in a similar way.

Not only that, but there are even more blatant clues a factory stock Hemi R/T draws nigh:

75_W-vi.jpg

A private brain trust with whom I first shared this and I are of the opinion that the grille may just be a tiny bit tall for scale - but that engraving is just stupid better than what the preview shots indicated, and the overall piece is comically ahead of what AMT tried to foist on us a few years back. And lookie, an "R/T" badge...

UTC_Data1471499953253SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

And if Revell were going strictly after the Toretto car, I doubt they would have bothered to include the chrome lips around the wheel arches.  Remember, this is NOT the '68/'69 shell. In addition to the obvious changes up front, there are subtle revisions to the backlight contours, the door scoops, and the fender arch shapes themselves. 

This kit is juuuust about to the '68/'69 what R/M's '62 Corvette is to their '58/'59.  As in that scenario, the new tooling ditches poseable steering for Revell's current pin axle wheel mounting, and the engraving - still very sharp - isn't quite so razor-edged as the ProModeler antecedent.  The interior and body do seem decently updated to '70 specs on a first sweep, but the true MoPar cognoscenti may find some nits I don't immediately see.  Sliding molds provide great relief detail on the instrument panel pad in one piece now, and the reintegration of the transmission halves with the engine block, relative to the '68/'69, indicate the Hemi will be the only engine, at least initially.  You won't have to de-chrome the valve covers either - but that strange bracket poking up from the back of the oil filter in the '70 'Cuda is also present here, and it makes me wonder if there isn't something I'm missing in all my Hemi reference.

But what I'd observe overall is this: unless you've gotta have a street '70 sooner than later, or you want the previous tooling's poseable steering that badly, or you'd really rather a Wedge than a Hemi, I'd hold off on the kitbashing just yet.  It seems VERY LIKELY a pretty cool factory-stocker is well on its way.

Open for questions and added shots as I can get to 'em.  Anybody can slap one together in a week, you're more than welcome, happily invited in fact, to post it here - but let me anticipate certain pot-shooters by making clear I've got other kits in the cue for publication and busy weekends besides, so the MAIN POINT of this thread is the in-box examination of the raw parts, and any snide broadsides about not building it quick enough for somebody's personal taste will MISS the point (as the authors of such generally do, and resolutely). 

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
typos, slight tempering of opening salvo

From the author of the Coral Aura hisself!  Why thankya, Sir!

LOL ^_^... always have enjoyed your thorough reviews. Hard to believe that model is more than 20 years old today.

I plan to start artwork for an MCG detail set for that Charger as soon as I get my hands on one...

Revell's Preferred Partner LHS dealers should be getting 'em in NOW or very shortly - that's where I got mine, 'cause, uh...

let's just say I don't quite have the rapport with Revell to get advanced samples. B)

Should be a couple weeks at most even for the non RPP shops who are reasonably on top of things. And if you like the '68/'69, my guess is there ain't much you won't like about this one.

That's for this Fast & Furious kit, now.  No official announcement on the next version yet, even if this kit itself serves as a very loud unofficial announcement.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
clarification

My local Hobby Lobby has a slot marked for the "Revell F & F '70 Charger" in the model section. So they should have them in stock soon. 

Sad about the molded hole in the hood, now I'll just wait for the stock release.  

Edited by magicmustang

My local Hobby Lobby has a slot marked for the "Revell F & F '70 Charger" in the model section. So they should have them in stock soon. 

Sad about the molded hole in the hood, now I'll just wait for the stock release.  

I'll have to check my local Hobby Lobby as  have a couple of gift cards from there.

I am quite hopeful for a stock 1970 Charger ( or at least a 2- in- one with Vintage parts as an option ) . I hope that some rolling stock that consists of deluxe wheel covers ( ie,  the new for 1970 14" wheel covers ) , and not another set of ( yawn ) Rallye Wheels ( !!!! ) .

For everyone lamenting that this is not stock, be glad they are starting with this and then coming out with a stock one and not the other way around! 

How many kits started stock only to be modded beyond hope of coming back to stock? 

I don't think anyone would even consider making a new tool kit that a further variant would permanently alter the tooling. Unless you're talking about Round2 "demodifiying" things back to their origins.

Heck when Revell reissued the Yenko Nova last month they didn't even put all the "COPO" parts into it to correct their original gaffe...even though they have the parts, and the COPO Nova kit has most of the SS parts in it. They would have just had to include the original hood with the louvers and the Yenko decals in the COPO kit contents. But no they reissued it completely wrong like the original,  meaning you still have to buy that COPO kit separately to "convert" it.

Nobody, especially Revell is destroying tooling.

"You're welome"s all around, and killer shot, Jesse - that may just prod me to move a little sooner than later on this.

James D's pretty much en pointe - it's very easy to imagine at least two other trees, one chrome with the rear bumper, stock wheels, and maybe an air cleaner housing this time to replace the second tree in this version, and one to replace the hood/header/roll bar tree with another that has the back seats, stock shocks, stock manifolds and intake, and a re-take of the rear fascia, hinges, and a full hood.  Stock exhaust too, maybe?

It might just be two trees' difference between this and a prospective stock version, plus the stock rubber and a good decal sheet.  Wouldn't mind seeing those door scoop covers and the black hood "HEMI" stripes too.  And yes - nearly anything besides the Magnum 5-spokes, please, and Rallyes next to last if you would.

I don't think anyone would even consider making a new tool kit that a further variant would permanently alter the tooling. Unless you're talking about Round2 "demodifiying" things back to their origins.

Heck when Revell reissued the Yenko Nova last month they didn't even put all the "COPO" parts into it to correct their original gaffe...even though they have the parts, and the COPO Nova kit has most of the SS parts in it. They would have just had to include the original hood with the louvers and the Yenko decals in the COPO kit contents. But no they reissued it completely wrong like the original,  meaning you still have to buy that COPO kit separately to "convert" it.

Nobody, especially Revell is destroying tooling.

Well, that wasn't always the case and I am glad that practice has stopped. But I am just glad they are still making new tools with more options that are not permanent, and I am really glad I don't have to cut the hole in the hood or have the ghost pattern on where to cut, like the old tools used to have. 

Although the Hemi package mandated 15" wheels ( from 1968-onward.) , I would still love to see a stock version include the W11 Deluxe Wheel Covers as option ; those would be correct for any 1970-1971 Dodge with any other engine ( 225,  318 , 340 , 383 , 440 , and 440 Six Pack ) . As far as  15" wheels are concerned ; either standard steel wheels ( in body colour)  with hubcaps,  or the ( dime a dozen ) Rallye Wheels . " Magnum 500's " were 14 " only on Chryslers ( their true nomenclature is Road Wheels ) .

Still awaiting for someone to offer Spyders in their kits ...

Well, one possible "tell" far as all that goes: the front tires are the Polyglas GTs that debuted on the 'Cuda - on the Rallyes.

Been a few times the fronts on a drag version have been the four tires on the stock version from Revell tooling...

(Think the rears are common to the Sox & Martin 'Cuda)