Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Sox & Martin Belvedere Super Stock

jjsipes

Since I was getting my 1965 Altered ready for paint and since I'm tired of waiting on Moebius so I just purchased one of there 1965 Belvedere II kits. I figured since I was going to be airbrushing the blue on a couple of Sox cars, why not start another one and then I wouldn't have to dirty the airbrush more than once.

Reference picture. I have another picture as well that I need to find. Not too mention Slixx just brought back there decals to include the Super Stock car as well as the AWB.

65-Sox-1_zpsonch76a7.jpg

I referenced the Melrose Missile package rear tray piece and made my own. Looks the part. I would have taken the piece out of the Missile kit but, I plan on building that soon. I was able to purchase some parts on Ebay for the headers out of the Missile kit.

Resized_20160819_145015_zpsnbrj1pv7.jpeg

Resized_20160819_145021_zpscnmgmoc8.jpeg

Resized_20160819_145036_zpsoeubybir.jpeg

The only complaint I have with the body is the lack of depth of the anel lines. Had to rescribe them and need to clean up a few areas before paint.

Resized_20160819_145656_zpshnj1k1md.jpeg

Edited by jjsipes

Looking good!  You're going to have an instant S&M fleet!

Yeah. I already have a few of Ronnie's cars in my collection and a few more to build after these. I have started the Black 1962 Impala, both 63 Impalas that he drove. I have started an Omni as well. The 1967 GTX I'm currently working on will be the 440 car, 1970 Cuda. I have already built his 1962 Bel Air, 2 versions of the 1964 Comet, 1967 Hemi GTX, the old Johan 1971 Cuda (which I want to rebuild), 1971 Duster. I have items to build the 1961 Pontiac, resin 1966 Baccaruda long and short nose, 68 Cudas, Johan Superbird, resin grille and hood for 1970 Duster, MPC Duster, MPC 1972 Cuda, Dakota ProStock Truck

Yeah. I already have a few of Ronnie's cars in my collection and a few more to build after these. I have started the Black 1962 Impala, both 63 Impalas that he drove. I have started an Omni as well. The 1967 GTX I'm currently working on will be the 440 car, 1970 Cuda. I have already built his 1962 Bel Air, 2 versions of the 1964 Comet, 1967 Hemi GTX, the old Johan 1971 Cuda (which I want to rebuild), 1971 Duster. I have items to build the 1961 Pontiac, resin 1966 Baccaruda long and short nose, 68 Cudas, Johan Superbird, resin grille and hood for 1970 Duster, MPC Duster, MPC 1972 Cuda, Dakota ProStock Truck

My goodness!  That is an impressive fleet!  I've have their '66 "Baccaruda" on my list of cars to do in 1:18 scale diecast.  If I elect to do it, it'll be the longnose version.   That will take me to having three of their cars.  A bit short of the numbers you've accumulated.  ;)

Nice looking pair!

I really like post door Mopars.

Back in the day I watched at the local AHRA dragstrip the injected AFX car up against Dyno Don's 65 Comet.  Sox won the last round, it went to the wire.  Spreading out rosin, the whole works, what a thrill to watch.

I was never a Ford fan but did enjoy the T-Bolts and Comets bach then as there were several in my area, Florida/Georgia.  Lots of match racing with big names.  What a time.

I admire your 3 color painting abilities.

• 4 weeks later...

I love this build, as I am a big fan of Ronnie Sox. I was rooting through my parts box, and I found a set of original, intact JoHan "Gate City" decals from the fictitious '66 Fury drag car kit. I want to do the '65 Belvidere Sedan, as I have the Moebius kit, and most of the parts to do a reasonable replica. I actually got to meet Ronnie Sox, and talk with him at length at a Carlisle show when there was no one around. What a day!!! I have quite a few kits to build some of his cars. There was only one Ronnie Sox. A great one!!!!

I actually got to meet Ronnie Sox, and talk with him at length at a Carlisle show when there was no one around. What a day!!! I have quite a few kits to build some of his cars. There was only one Ronnie Sox. A great one!!!!

I agree. Great man and great to talk with. The same with wife Diane, great to talk with as well.

COOL!  No VERY COOL!

Sox & Martin ruled the world to me in the 60's. I was a big MoPar kid then ( you HAD to pick your allegiance then), my favorite was the 66' Cuda. I really like the transition cars of this era when the weren't yet full tube chassis and flip tops. Still based on real cars.

Quite the fleet, how about a group pic of the bunch?

What source will you be using for the wheels? I'm starting to collect the pieces needed to build this car, but need to find a set of Keystones which will fit without many mods.

I found a set of Keystone Mags out of a 67 Sox & Martin Gtx nit but, they were to large of a diameter for the slicks out of the Melrose Missile. Dug some more and found a set of Keystones out of the old 51 Chevy Bel Air kit that will work just fine I believe. Need to find approriate tires for the front now.

COOL!  No VERY COOL!

Sox & Martin ruled the world to me in the 60's. I was a big MoPar kid then ( you HAD to pick your allegiance then), my favorite was the 66' Cuda. I really like the transition cars of this era when the weren't yet full tube chassis and flip tops. Still based on real cars.

Quite the fleet, how about a group pic of the bunch?

All in due time for a group picture.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...