Model Cars Magazine Forum

88 Times a Day....Smartphones

10thumbs

I find the use of cell phones to be very generational. My younger detectives text and text and text. Us older guys call and talk to each other. 

I interviewed for a promotion the other day. One question asked by the Captain in charge of the unit was "Do you know the NRS (Nevada Revised Statute) pertaining to such and such? Reply "Not off hand, I didn't think minutia was all that important." "Besides, I can look up anything I require in seconds on several electronic devices at my immediate disposal." 

While not the answer the goof was looking for, I made my point which was all I intended to do anyway. 

I come from an era when my computer was under my hat. I committed to memory that which I felt was necessary, the rest could be looked up later. I do the same now, it's just that I can look it up quicker.  

G

Hi Rob, thanks for the clarification.  When the smartphones are being used intelligently then no way is this in my eyes inferior behavior.  My wife has one, and it has often helped when out and about.

But like in commercials, the young chick walking down the sidewalk and runs into a street sign is goofy.  "Designed fingernails",  everything else just like it's supposed to be, clothes, hair and the way she acts is just like all the other chicks walking down the sidewalk.  When asked a relative simple question, you get a relative simple answer, "I don't know".

Recently, a TV comedy show did some question and answer deal in the main thoroughfare at a major mall.   By the way, this is Germany;

Question 1;  Who is Martin Luther.  90% of the teenies answered something along the lines of "some black dude".  Martin Luther, the great German religious reformer 15th Century.

Question 2;  Who was the former Chancellor of Germany?  Adolf Hitler.  The question was the former, not him.

....and so forth.

Head down generation.

When the smartphones are being used intelligently then no way is this in my eyes inferior behavior. 

Agreed 100%.

But when the smartphone becomes a substitute for actually knowing anything, or the ability to perform simple arithmetic, or replaces basic face-to-face human communication, it's no longer a useful tool. At that point it's at best an unnecessary crutch for the lazy, and at worst an unfortunate replacement for real life.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Agreed 100%.

But when the smartphone becomes a substitute for actually knowing anything, or the ability to perform simple arithmetic, or replaces basic face-to-face human communication, it's no longer a useful tool. At that point it's at best an unnecessary crutch for the lazy, and at worst an unfortunate replacement for real life.

Simple arithmetic, how 'bout watching where you're going when you're crossing the street, walking in a parking lot, pushing a shopping cart, etc.???

Another example of addiction.

The wife has a girlfriend buddy now for more than 35 years, she's a claims attorney for various and dubious insurance companies.  Read, she's  50+ yrs. old.  Single.  When she comes to visit, it's a laugh a minute, guaranteed.  The gal is hilarious and also politically interested.  She and I get along very well.  The last 2 years, she comes over and while out on the terrace for instance, she keeps checking her purse for action (smartphone).  The wife may go to the kitchen for refreshments, she grabs her purse immediately to have a peek at her display.

I look at her and grin, she laughs like a kid that just got away with something, then shuts the thing off.  No work on her smartphone, it's all other junk that can wait.  Addiction. She admits it too.  But she laughs again with a cool twinkle in her eyes and all is good.

I have a simple cell phone for minimal communication, and for emergencies when I'm out in the boondocks alone.  Actually, I used it once in an emergency and was very happy to have had it available.  A golf buddy used it once too, he had suffered a light heart attack and called for help.

So guys, charge up the silly thing, the wife is right.  Take it with you, it can be very helpful!

Rich, I hear that!

Also, you try to call home and no answer.  The wife has 3 telephone numbers plus the smartphone.  Often though, I can't reach her when needed.  Back in the old days, the telephone in the hallway, stationary, was always at hand.

Modern times seem to be not always more modern.

Modern times seem to be not always more modern.

While fairly recently traveling far from the beaten path with a female companion who had a smartphone, she often had "no service". My old-fogey paper maps and compass still worked just fine though. It was often also helpful to be aware that the sun comes up in the east, sets in the west, and is close to overhead around local noon.

A generation that relies solely on technology and has no backup plan (and little common sense understanding of things that used to be "common knowledge") is possibly going to face a rude awakening at some point in time.;) 

giphy.gif

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

It's a generational and occupational thing to some degree.  Since I'm a software engineer, I'm very comfortable with a wide variety of gadgets and applications.  I couldn't imagine not having access to the internet on my phone, or access to the latest gadgets.  I'll admit its hard for me to relate to people not in the tech industry ('normals'), but I try. ;)

Edited by Rob Hall

...  It's hard for me to relate to people not in the tech industry ('normals'), but I try. 

:D  And it's equally hard (at least) for me to relate to people who don't actually MAKE things in the physical world, day in, day out. It's a whole different mindset from what I encounter in the majority of "others".

These are just examples of the more interesting of thousands of tools I have to choose from in my own line of work, every day. Plus computers, CAD, CFD, etc. 

Image result for enco milling machine       Image result for enco milling machine     Image result for tig welder     Image result for drafting table

No apps will ever take the place of what talented and skilled human hands and minds can do with physical tools, but electronic gadgetry certainly is a worthwhile adjunct.  

I've come to rely HEAVILY on the web to find parts, materials, processes, technical specs and other tech info, and a wide array of other work-related things, communicate with clients and suppliers, etc...I just don't need that access in my hand. Getting off my feet and sitting at a workstation for a few minutes works fine. ;)

PS. And now that I've let myself be distracted by this site for a couple of hours, I STILL have to WORK a couple more hours to actually accomplish some of what they pay me for. B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

While fairly recently traveling far from the beaten path with a female companion who had a smartphone, she often had "no service". My old-fogey paper maps and compass still worked just fine though. It was often also helpful to be aware that the sun comes up in the east, sets in the west, and is close to overhead around local noon.

A generation that relies solely on technology and has no backup plan (and little common sense understanding of things that used to be "common knowledge") is possibly going to face a rude awakening at some point in time.;) 

giphy.gif

It'll be a really helpless society if ever the power grid C R A P S out. Us OFGs can be the real life versions of Negan and run things. :D 

I'm with the both of you there, in fact before I moved to CO from CA I was 22 miles from the end of the grid and an 8 mile 4x4 drive up country to make a phone call.....god willing, hold your tongue just right and DONT MOVE. You just may get out theirs more than one biker and log hauler happy I knew that spot. This next weekend the wife and I are going back off the "grid" I can't wait

Technology is great......until it stops functioning. My point is that if, God forbid, a major catastrophe occurs and civilization as it is presently exists comes to an end, an overwhelming percentage of the population would not be able to cope with what's left. Techies are useful when it comes to working with virtual reality. It's a whole different ballgame when having to use your hands, as well as your brains. When their magical devices no longer function, the jig is up, pal. They're as useful as attempting to screw in a left-handed light bulb into a right-handed socket. I don't need a computer to perform mathematical operations or to design something. I can use a slide rule, drafting equipment and hand tools just as easily. I appreciate technology; it's that I don't depend on it anywhere nearly as much as some other people might.

Technology is great......until it stops functioning. My point is that if, God forbid, a major catastrophe occurs and civilization as it is presently exists comes to an end, an overwhelming percentage of the population would not be able to cope with what's left. Techies are useful when it comes to working with virtual reality. It's a whole different ballgame when having to use your hands, as well as your brains. When their magical devices no longer function, the jig is up, pal. They're as useful as attempting to screw in a left-handed light bulb into a right-handed socket. I don't need a computer to perform mathematical operations or to design something. I can use a slide rule, drafting equipment and hand tools just as easily. I appreciate technology; it's that I don't depend on it anywhere nearly as much as some other people might.

We've already had a little taste of that, Joe. During the Blackout of 2003, when a very large section of the Eastern half of the U.S. and Canada lost all electrical power. That was just for a short time, (a few days if I remember correctly) until they figured out what had happened and fixed the problem. People around here were an absolute mess without being able to play with their gadgets every minute, that was 13 years ago. People have become several times more dependent on their electronic devices since then, imagine what folks would act like if that happened again!

giphy.gif

It'll be a really helpless society if ever the power grid C R A P S out. Us OFGs can be the real life versions of Negan and run things. :D 

I'm with the both of you there, in fact before I moved to CO from CA I was 22 miles from the end of the grid and an 8 mile 4x4 drive up country to make a phone call.....god willing, hold your tongue just right and DONT MOVE. You just may get out theirs more than one biker and log hauler happy I knew that spot. This next weekend the wife and I are going back off the "grid" I can't wait

Many years ago my son had asked me for a computer, so I gave him a pad of paper and a pencil.

Many years ago my son had asked me for a computer, so I gave him a pad of paper and a pencil.

Though I've used them constantly for many, many years, I STILL think the term "word processor" is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

But I guess it's better than "multi-purpose digital typing, document formatting and editing program with multiple-font capability".  ;)

And don't forget...

advantages-of-the-as-a-user-i-want-user-   Huh??

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

And don't forget...

advantages-of-the-as-a-user-i-want-user-   Huh??

That's project planning terminology used in the agile methodology.  Stuff from my work world. When I'm working on agile projects, I work with the other developers, the project manager, QA, and product owners (i.e. the business side and SMEs) to create user stories (use cases--i.e. how users interact w/ the software) and break those stories down into actionizable tasks that can have some time estimates applied to them.  Funny how that illustration uses old school technology like a black board, typewriter and books.   In the modern world, we usually use whiteboards, sticky notes, laptops and tablets with project planning software (I particularly like Atlassian's tools such as JIRA) working on the user stories.. 

Alas, many of my clients are disorganized and have more chaos-driven methodologies.  They have vague or non-existent user stories and unrealistic deadlines and expectations.  (at my current client, I'm working on two related but distinct US market projects currently and trying to help get a third project for the Barbados business going).   

Edited by Rob Hall

:D Thank you for the translation. Now, if I only knew what "agile methodology" and "actionizable tasks" were...perhaps my own methodoligies wouldn't be so "chaos-driven". ;)

'agile' has been a big buzzword in the software engineering space the last 10 years or so...basically it's a approach of project planning and building applications that focuses on building small, working chunks of functionality in a fixed time period (a week, two weeks, a month) so that the business sees useful functionality all along during a development cycle rather than the older approach which was more of a big bang approach---design everything up front, have a period of time where the functionality was developed then deliver all the functionality at once (which was trouble prone as there would often be issues and misunderstandings, etc). 

'actionizable' (or actionable task) are tasks and subtasks that can be completed in a few hours or day or two... small units of work. 

One thing I've seen that is pretty interesting is how agile approaches and software for agile project management can be used even on non-software projects.  At my previously company, we had a client that was in the aircraft parts re-manufacturing business and they adopted agile and agile software for their projects.

Edited by Rob Hall

That's project planning terminology used in the agile methodology.  Stuff from my work world. When I'm working on agile projects, I work with the other developers, the project manager, QA, and product owners (i.e. the business side and SMEs) to create user stories (use cases--i.e. how users interact w/ the software) and break those stories down into actionizable tasks that can have some time estimates applied to them...

Alas, many of my clients are disorganized and have more chaos-driven methodologies.  They have vague or non-existent user stories and unrealistic deadlines and expectations...

Hilarious! Corporate Speak at its finest! :lol:

And the best part is... he wasn't kidding! :lol:

Hilarious! Corporate Speak at its finest! :lol:

And the best part is... he wasn't kidding! :lol:

Ya..this just a small glimpse into the terminology used in my world...which at various times over the last 20 years has felt like the TV show 'The Office', the tv show 'Silicon Valley', the Dilbert comic strip and the movie 'Office Space'. And sometimes a mix of all of those.   And there are a zillion acronyms (lots of TLAs) in software and systems...SOAP, REST, DBA, swag, SNMP, i-MAP, XML, HTML, RMI, JDBC, JNDI, WCM, etc..   But I love it..esp. when I get deep into slinging code and making stuff work.. and the pay isn't bad either.

Cube life...what a life.

Edited by Rob Hall