Model Cars Magazine Forum

88 Times a Day....Smartphones

10thumbs

No smart phone. No tattoos. No piercings. No Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat, or any of the other various "look what I had for lunch today" social media. No GPS in the car.

However, I have embraced the idea of electricity and indoor plumbing... :P

No tattoos, against my religion (really), no piercings either (same reason).

I have a smartphone that I use daily to direct my detectives.

GPS and such is a wonderful thing.

I live and work in Nevada so it's a hands free automotive environment for me baby.  

I too have electricity and indoor plumbing, air conditioning as well.

G

I guarantee I am somewhere around 200 or more. I own my own business and people text orders, and through Facebook messenger and email, and my website, etc. all through my phone. I work from an office with a desktop, but I am in and out a lot. 

If I could ditch the smartphone, I would, but it would be a major negative impact on my income

No smartphone, no tattoos...though I've been in one of the classic environments where tattoos were a little more than me-too me-too fashion statements.

I got a tattoo in Honolulu, then had some added to it in Hong Kong in 1976

I still have it

No smart phone, no face book or social media of any kind. No piercings, normal old school haircut, no GPS, but did make the mistake by letting a friend put my CS on my arm as a teen. Always regretted it. I bought a dumb flip phone only to make calls with and i never answer it while driving...

I've had a smartphone (iPhone) since about 2010 or so and while I'm not on it constantly, I'm on it more than enough. I'm too busy on the job so I don't need my phone for that, but it is my only source of making calls as I haven't had a landline in years. 

It's also my source of music, weather, watching local news (excellent for that), and yes I've used the GPS on it a number of times, but I don't travel as much as I used to. I have a Facebook account, but you'll seldom see me on there------I don't get the constant posting on what you're doing in the course of a day.

No tattoos though! Never wanted one, and I doubt I'll ever get one! :P

No smart phone. No tattoos. No piercings. No Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat, or any of the other various "look what I had for lunch today" social media. No GPS in the car.

However, I have embraced the idea of electricity and indoor plumbing... :P

Ditto...

I have tattoos. And a smart phone. I use the GPS. I have taken a selfie or two at the Snake River, and I use Facebook. If anyone has a problem with it or thinks poorly of me because of it, please feel free to contact me privately so I can tell you where to stick it. :angry:

Since we have expanded this a bit...   I do have electricity and indoor plumbing.  I am sitting in air conditioning right now too!  My cell phone is my primary phone, no home phone number. The only time that's inconvenient is when I get calls intended for my wife.

I do not have Twitter, Instagram or SnapChat.  I do have FaceBook and I like it to keep up with family and friends.  We do have an NNL East page to communicate with fans.  I also belong to groups for the towns I lived in and near in NJ and back in Germany.  The Germany one especially has been great in connecting me with people I knew as kids. Communicating with them has helped me remember details of my life I had forgot.  I also belong to my high school year and am in touch with many people I lost touch with years ago.  In fact a few weeks ago I spent a Saturday with one of my best high school friends I hadn't seen in 20 years. 

There are a lot of model car groups on FaceBook but I try not to participate since there are so many and I already am in two boards including this one.  It seems that people who start these can make you a member.  Then  everyone in that group sends you a friend request.  I don't accept friends I don't know, so I decline those.   And I've unjoined those groups.   At one time it got to the point all I saw on my feed was model car stuff and the lunch of people I didn't even know.  My wife would ask if I saw my cousin's post, um no but Iggy Bitz, who I don't know, had tacos for lunch!  So I deleted most of those people! I do have a lot of model car friends on FaceBook.  I'm happy to do so with people I know.  If I know you in person, or we are friendly on the boards, that's good.  I'd be friends with you.  

There is a lot of power on FaceBook to learn information.   For instance all my life I had heard legend of a fatal auto accident in my town that killed 6 teens. Always heard different stories, as those things usually go.  I belong to a group for my town, so I asked the question.  Within minutes someone posted the newspaper article and I had the actual facts 40 years later.  In my Germany group I had asked for a photo of the house I lived in there.  A German fellow drove there and took a picture for me.  FaceBook has the power to make people on other continents do things for you!   You cannot beat the technology!

I use the smartphone daily for a ton of things.  My bank texts me if my checking account falls below a certain dollar level. Then I hit the bank app and move money from savings to checking instantly.   Walgreens has a smartphone app for reordering prescriptions.  You just point your phone camera at the bar code on the bottle, and it reorders that prescription for you.  No more typing all those numbers into the phone!   And there's a ton more apps that make your life easier.  And I'm all for easier.

Have not gotten any tattoos since my last post.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Closest I came to gettin' a Tattoo was in the Army but I wasn't Drunk enough to go through with it.

My wife's friend (a 58 year old woman) recently got a tattoo on her shoulder.  She and her sister agreed to get matching ones.  She went first and then the sister chickened out!  

My wife's friend (a 58 year old woman) recently got a tattoo on her shoulder.  She and her sister agreed to get matching ones.  She went first and then the sister chickened out!  

I have a feeling that happens a LOT. More than one time I've known of people that got a tattoo on those grounds with the same results.

I have tattoos. And a smart phone. I use the GPS. I have taken a selfie or two at the Snake River, and I use Facebook. If anyone has a problem with it or thinks poorly of me because of it, please feel free to contact me privately so I can tell you where to stick it. :angry:

Why the aggression?

Your statement somehow doesn't coincide with your sig.

Does the 88 times a day seem about average for you?

I have no tattoos or piercings. I figure I came into the world with all the holes and markings I needed. I have a dumb phone for work and a dumb flip phone for my own use. I turn the flip phone on about once a month for my trip to the club meeting in Toronto. That's if I remember to turn it on. Then chances are I'll forget to turn it off and the next time I go to use it, it's dead. If I had a choice between the cell phone and the land line I would gladly give up the cell phone.

I have a very limited presence on Facebook mainly for my club's page. I'm not a Twit. I have a definite YouTube presence. Which confounds people that I put myself out there but not on any other type of social media. I don't know, I can't explain it myself.

Excuse me, I went to Toronto yesterday for a club meeting and I just remembered I forgot to turn my phone off when I got home......

Hate mobile phones and only carry an old Nokia when my wife tells me to. All I can do with it is call people. Never sent a text in my life and no intention to start.

Tatts? No but seriously considered it and may do yet.

Piercings? Just 2 in my left ear.

Don't do Faceache or any of that stuff. I'm with Bill. Who the h*ll cares what I had for dinner and if they do...for ^%$&'* sake why do they?

steve

Facebook - I don't have a page but there are a couple pages I check now and then for photos (one for Hobbs Army Air Field and one for Paducah, KY), and I follow some old friends back in CA including some of my Aztec dancer buddies (one still has a MySpace page).

Tattoos - There's one Aztec insignia (my name sign) I want to do but I haven't had the cash and the inclination at the same time.

Piercings - thought about it (ear) but never did it. Ever get a zit in your earlobe? I used to, so I figured a piercing wouldn't help the situation much.

Mobile - Got a decent TracFone for my occasional calls that's smart enough to take good pictures; it can text but I've only used that to enter a radio contest.

YouTube - I've put up a couple rare videos regarding the death of H.B. Halicki (Gone in 60 Seconds) that I could post here if you're interested.

What I DON'T understand is the constant need to check and update one's social network "status" on a minute-to-minute basis...and it's this that appears to me to be what most of the smartphone addicts are doing.

I

As you said, it is an addition addiciton.  I seem to recall reading that a person produces a bit of dopamine whenever the phone notifies them (makes sound or vibrates) that there is new contents available to look at.  They can't help but to look at it.

Edited by peteski
Harry pointed out silly typing mistake.

I put maps back in my car. I really like them better.

I use my brain-damaged phone (defective) quite a bit, but I don't think it's quite 88 times/day, although I do a little side-work that requires use of it, and when it does, my nose is buried in it (said side-work is why I got the thing.)

I use Google Maps to locate things, especially if I have to plan travel for the side-job; I only very rarely use it to actually navigate, largely because I'm very familiar with my little corner of the world.

I do use Google Maps to go to NNL-East, because the roads around there are completely crazy, and it's the only way I can find my way around, because I have no town road atlases for northern NJ. I also use it when I'm going to NYC because I get lost there very easily, and all the maps in the world couldn't help me. Beyond that, I'll use it in completely unfamiliar territory for which I have no good local maps to use in the car.

I use my phone at home more, and lately, with all these crazy spoof/fruad/political calls (sometimes, it's 3 calls in 1,) and I like having a phone in the house.

No tattoos here, either.

Charlie Larkin

I can understand those of you who need or use a smartphone for work, and other electronics as well, many times daily.  Great that such inventions are available, by all means.

What I had in mind though from the beginning, were the folks who just use a smartphone for fun, if that's what it could be called.  Addiction for sure.  Schoolkids for instance.  Some private grade schools are not allowing them anymore on campus.  Plus some folks just walking down the sidewalk at lunchtime, or the weekends.  No way the majority is working.

The wife has a cleaning woman, a Polish lady.  She used to have conversations while vacuuming rugs!  I get a kick too, out of ladies/moms on bicycles, with a phone at their ears, while peddling uphill with a basket of groceries.

How about three couples coming to a restaurant, after ordering, they all are playing with their phones and not bothering to communicate with each other.  The wife and I go out to eat often, we notice this a lot.  Gotta love it.

Edited by 10thumbs

I don't have a Smartphone,  no tattoos either, but that's another story.

Anyway, I heard on the news today, statistically, in Germany every citizen looks at the smartphone display 88 times a day!

Hardly anyone just walks downtown anymore without the silly thing in their hands, eyes glued to the display.  Worse, while driving cars too.

Anyone here that does not have one? 

88 times a day,  how many times do you think you'll have a peek?

I don't have a smartphone or tattoos either.

Edited by Mike C

Why the aggression?

Your statement somehow doesn't coincide with your sig.

Does the 88 times a day seem about average for you?

Well frankly it was meant to be sarcastic. I guess not everyone got that because of the silly emoticon. BUT, some of these posts seem to give an impression that the folks with phones and tats are somehow lesser/inferior/weaker than those that do not. Perhaps that's not the intent of the writer but they do come off that way.

Just because I am open to critique doesn't mean I won't speak my mind when I disagree.

88 times? For me, personally, yeah that's high by at least 50. For my kids, I'd say it's on target. I never really was into smart phones until the utility of them because apparent. The use of GPS and apps that can tell you where the cheapest gas is, and a really decent camera built in, is a no-brainer. I do a LOT of communication with my co-workers at work. Texting is the best for that. Smart phones can let a whole group get on the same page with a single text regardless of where they are on the campus. My smart phone means I ALWAYS have a 40% off coupon for Michaels/Hobby Lobby. You folks can ignore the new TOOL on the market if you want to, but it doesn't make you better at anything.