Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is your Favorite Auto or Truck Program??

I watch many car and truck shows but Graveyard Cars and Fantom Works are my favorites. I like watching Fast and Loud but wonder how much is fake because he sells the cars then you see most sold on Barrett Jackson. I did like Wrecks to Riches but was short lived...

I used to love watching the Barret Jackson auctions, but since the left the "Speed Channel" I haven't seen much of it in the past couple of years.

I also enjoyed "Fast & Loud" & "Counts Customs" but they've both become a little too scripted & commercial.

I've started watching a little of the spin off from Fast & Loud, "Misfit Garage" although it's not much different than Fast & Loud.

Another new one that I've enjoyed is a new one that I don't recall the name of.

It's another one much like Fast & Loud or Misfit Garage, but it's a bunch of guys in Louisiana.

Steve

Wheeler Dealers, FantomWorks, Bitchin' Rides. They give me inspiration and motivation in building my models.

Each of these do more in-depth building and less of the drama than some others, although there is some in every one because I believe the producers of these shows don't know car guys and think that every show has to have some ridiculous drama scene.

I like Graveyard Cars but they have way too much drama.

I also like Legendary Motorcars but I don't think they have a show anymore. They had a bit too much drama as well though.

I don't make it a point to watch any of them, but if Counting Cars is on when there's nothing else to watch, I can stand that. I think Danny's taste are closest to my own. Most of the other shows I've seen, they're just butchering poor old cars. And doing it in a big rush, just to make some money. I wouldn't let most of those guys change my oil.

Wheeler Dealers and Chasing Classic Cars are my favorites.  For driving/review shows, I like /Drive and Petrolicious vidoes on YouTube.    I'm looking forward to The Grand Tour when it debuts.

Of the squabbling goofball/fix up cars type shows, I like Graveyard Carz for the cars, Mobsteel, and occasionally Desert Car Kings.  There is an East Coast set one also that I like but can't recall the name of it. 

I like to watch Phantom works, Wheeler Dealer(Brit version), Chasing classic cars, and Auto week.  The real issue with a lot of the others is their success.  They start out as humble real guy car chasers and when they get a name and some success the morph into stupid rich guys.  I think Richard Rawlings is a good example.  When he tackled restoring a Ferrari, that was just plain scary! His show is now "Look at me!  I'm stupid rich!" 

Wheeler Dealers, Jay Leno's Garage, Motorweek,Chasing Classic Cars, My Classic Car and Phantomworks. I like Graveyard Cars too but haven't seen a new episode in a while. Have absolutely no use for Fast & Loud or Counting Cars and most of the rest of them.

Edited by FordRodnKustom

I can't stand any of 'em, to tell the truth. 

I've been building high-end and race cars for a large part of my working life and I can't recall any shops where the principals dressed up like pirates and wannabe rock stars, behaved like ADHD 5-year-olds who missed their Ritalin fix, or spent most of their time slapping each other on the back and talking in loud gruff voices with irritating blang-blang-blang music playing so loud you can't hear yourself think.

Some of the workmanship and welding is appallingly bad, and I'd fire most of the people on these "reality" shows the same day I hired them...if I DID hire them, which is doubtful.

One exception. Leno is OK, has real respect for the cars and tries to understand what makes them special. He actually drives the things and gives his impressions of some of the worlds automotive icons. Seems to be in it for the fun too, rather than trying to make a fast buck on everything he touches.

Both Steve Moal and Chip Foose really know their stuff. Foose is a world-class illustrator and designer, and it's pretty obvious he knows the hardware too. When his crew get into a little rough spot, he's there with the right move, every time. Moal is an all-around class act and hires first-rate talent. Unfortunately, the "production values" that try to make their work appeal to the lowest-common-denominator audience leave me bored shittless.

And you can keep all the rest. The Graveyard Cars guy once said of his crew "they may not be the brightest bulbs on the string, but they're cheap". Yeah, that's really what it takes to do top-of-the-line work.

PS: There are some fairly decent clips available on youtube that don't go in for the idiot crapp and showcase the work and the skills involved. These can be useful and to me, entertaining. Might actually LEARN something too.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The only one I really cared for was "Overhaulin" with Chip Foose.  You can take all the others, although I will watch many of them.  Gas Monkey is a joke, Misfits is even worse, and I just cannot handle Count Danny's "Brotha" and constant hugging chest bumps.  Can't get Jay Leno's garage, or at least have never noticed it while surfing the tv guide on my tv.

My favorite was a six-episode series, "Victory by Design." It was the history of six  great marques  -- Alfa, Jaguar, Maserati, Aston, Ferrari, one I forget -- featuring host Alain de Cadenet putting existing survivors through their paces. You could really see and feel the driving experience.

My favorite was a six-episode series, "Victory by Design." It was the history of six  great marques  -- Alfa, Jaguar, Maserati, Aston, Ferrari, one I forget -- featuring host Alain de Cadenet putting existing survivors through their paces. You could really see and feel the driving experience.

Yup...forgot all about that one. Available on youtube (as are episodes of Leno's show).

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Yup, forgot about that one. Very good content there.

I liked it well enough to by the DVD's many years ago but always felt the de Cadenet is going to #3ll  because nobody and I mean nobody deserves to drive this many great historical autos in one life time.  Oh, and this is my favorite clip of de Cadenet!

Caution- There is course language at the end of this video by Mr. de Cadenet.  If you are offended by that sort of thing, please do not click on the link!  I am sorry, I couldn't find an edited version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOoiEbtf2w

I liked it well enough to by the DVD's many years ago but always felt the de Cadenet is going to #3ll  because nobody and I mean nobody deserves to drive this many great historical autos in one life time.  Oh, and this is my favorite clip of de Cadenet!

Caution- There is course language at the end of this video by Mr. de Cadenet.  If you are offended by that sort of thing, please do not click on the link!  I am sorry, I couldn't find an edited version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOoiEbtf2w

Some are still available at Amazon for about $18 each. Not available currently as a set.

I have like My Classic Car for a long time, way back when it was on TNN, I think it was called that still. I remember watching all those car and truck shows on TNN. I really remember the Motorsports Calvacade, watching monster trucks, swamp buggies, drag races, hill shooters, mud drags and all that. 

Now I watch Counting Cars, I like Danny and his taste in things. My Classic Car, Jay Leno Garage, I watch Fast n Loud from time to time, I cannot stand Richard, but I like Aaron. I didn't like the guys at Misfit Garage, when they worked at GMG. Bitchin Rides is pretty good. I tried to get into Diesel Brothers, too much script, from the get go. I really liked Vegas Rat Rods.

I can't stand most of them. They've fallen into a familiar formula- roughly 30% working on cars and 70% shop hijinks and fake drama. The most interesting thing about most of them is the facial hair. Jay Leno' s Garage is generally very good, Wheeler Dealers is fantastic, and Seinfeld' s Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee is fun. I can also zone out to Garage Squad if there's nothing better on. Brian Johnson's new show is pretty fun as well...he's a genuine car guy and his enthusiasm really shows. Top Gear was the best, but Chris Evans' brief tenure as lead presenter really hurt. Maybe it'll be better with Matt LeBlanc. Can't wait for The Grand Tour.