Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beemax Audi Quattro

martinfan5

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Spot Model has more aftermarket goodies:

Reji - HB Int'l decals which look like the Renaissance decals.

Well there's only so many ways to make decals of a product logo. Frankly you'd have to really want to not use the P/E set to justify buying any of these logo only decals sheets which would wind up being at least half the cost of the detail up by the time you ship them.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow!  

As a race official at Pikes Peak back in the day, I knew Bobby Unser (and the entire Unser clan) for years.  I also had the privilege of meeting and interacting with the Audi drivers for several years - John Buffum, Walter Rohrl (not only an outstanding world champion, but also an exceptional gentleman!) and later Michelle Mouton and Fabrizia Pons.  Mouton was an incredible driver but didn't waste much time with people skills.  Pons, on the other hand, was as gracious and friendly as she was beautiful. 

My young (grade school age) sons had crushes on the Mouton/Pons team - and had arms full of autographed posters, cards, and personal notes.  In another year, Rohrl trumped them by giving my boys each a 1/6 scale replica of his racing helmet, complete with Walter's autograph personalized to each of them.

Needless to say, my guys loved the Audi racers!!  And, the Audi teams set the hillclimb world on fire!  So many stories, so little time.

I have a stash of Quattro kits and am eagerly awaiting the Bobby Unser decal set - (first time the Pikes Peak logo has appeared in decal form!!).  I need to build one of each of my old friends. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, well you know.  You guys got me interested in this subject. "Now is zink I go do zomething".

With that out of the way, are the Aoshima and Beemax the same kit?  Are these made in Japan?  The body in the photos looks a little strange but the build up looks great.

I want to get the JB version when this kit comes out.  Many stories to tell.

GT Fan Tim:

Your Quattro vignette is terrific!! 

Sorry I missed it earlier. But, at least the images and the well-earned praise are still fresh!

Other than the markings and the light pods (not necessary - and therefor not used - at Pikes Peak), it looks just as memory serves. 

They were awesome cars in their days and they shattered a bunch of 'barriers' and 'ceilings.'

?? 

2 hours ago, steveracer said:

OK, well you know.  You guys got me interested in this subject. "Now is zink I go do zomething".

With that out of the way, are the Aoshima and Beemax the same kit?  Are these made in Japan?  The body in the photos looks a little strange but the build up looks great.

I want to get the JB version when this kit comes out.  Many stories to tell.

Aoshima and Beemax had a distribution, development and technical agreement earlier in the 2010s, that has since expired and Platz has taken over as the distributor in Japan, with the company changing it's name to NuNu Hobby and doing it's own distribution for the rest of the world.  The parent company and it's two brand names are based in Macau, and the tooling and production are done there.

Edited by niteowl7710

1 hour ago, 64Comet404 said:

Loved these Audi Quattros back in the day. Now if a company would do a big Healey rally car. I have a magazine in which Michelle Mouton and Pat Moss drove each others' rally rides, and it was an entertaining article.

With Revell plugging the modern Land Rover and E-Type kit gaps (FHC A-pillar gaffe aside) one can hope they decide that classic British cars are a good theme to keep going because we've never had an Austin-Healey 3000 kit in 1/24th scale. Still seems weird that Gunze Sangyo didn't kit one in the 80's along side their TR-3's and Lotus Elans. 

11 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

With Revell plugging the modern Land Rover and E-Type kit gaps (FHC A-pillar gaffe aside) one can hope they decide that classic British cars are a good theme to keep going because we've never had an Austin-Healey 3000 kit in 1/24th scale. Still seems weird that Gunze Sangyo didn't kit one in the 80's along side their TR-3's and Lotus Elans. 

The small british sports cars are very popular in japan. They spend a lot more on them and still actively race them. The bigger ones like the heallys you got in the states just dont seem to have the same following

On 12/30/2020 at 4:57 PM, Justin Porter said:

... because we've never had an Austin-Healey 3000 kit in 1/24th scale.... 

I don't know my AH cars, but this was a Revell kit that I built.  Is the 3000 a different body than this?

IMG_5697.JPG

Edited by steveracer

39 minutes ago, steveracer said:

I don't know my AH cars, but this was a Revell kit that I built.  Is the 3000 a different body than this?

IMG_5697.JPG

Yes. What you built is Revell's old 1/25th scale Austin-Healey 100-6. That's a pretty good kit especially for its age. To the naked eye a 100-6 and a 3000 look pretty similar but they are entirely different cars with the 3000 being bigger in just about every dimension to make it a more comfortable tourer while still being an able and successful sports car.