Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '57 Ford Gasser

Snake45

I have not had an opportunity to look inside ,but spoke with some people at the model shop. I was told that there is an optional front suspension system to build a gasser . I would be more inclined to switch the frame from the wagon too the coupe and build it that way if I was wanting to building a gasser.

I personally don't like this kit at all! Why the wagon, instead of the coupe? The wheel, and tire combo is ridiculous, they look like duplicates of the ones from the '67 Firebird. The fronts look like 13-14", and the rears look like 16-17".....stupid! I know the wheel/tires can be changed, but why? I'm not impressed with the engine options either, C'mon, an injected Y block might have been cool. I'm more into hotrods, vintage drag, and showrods anymore, so to get my money on these kits, it's got to have a "Cool Factor", and this one just doesn't make it.

Snake, I see the others have provided the photo's you sought.

I look forward to building my kit.

I do agree that a Blown Big Block would have made a much better Gasser Motor for this kit, and reusing the pitiful 312 was 'cheaping out'  at it's worst. But better to have the kit, than not. The headers alone are almost worth it, by themselves.

Revell, should sell that tree by itself.

Snake, I see the others have provided the photo's you sought.

I look forward to building my kit.

I do agree that a Blown Big Block would have made a much better Gasser Motor for this kit, and reusing the pitiful 312 was 'cheaping out'  at it's worst. But better to have the kit, than not. The headers alone are almost worth it, by themselves.

Revell, should sell that tree by itself.

I never figured that Revell would tool another engine for the gasser version, but I was thinking they'd go a bit wilder with the engine setup, like injectors.  I was disappointed that the headers are one-piece units, though they do look pretty good.  The Edelbrock script valve covers are also new, and unlike anything in any other kit with a Y-block.

Too, I'd have thought they would have tooled another hood, even for this kit, which out of the box is more a modern "street freak" interpretation of a gasser than it is a drag car.  The wheels/tires are so-so; the "street freak" gassers often use "piecrust" slicks (they weren't called that back then), sometimes with wide whitewalls.  Mine's going to get all the cliches: Mickey Thompson/Rader wheels and slicks from the Thunderbolt kit, a teardrop blister on the hood, and big Metalflake paint.  It shouldn't be too tough to tie the headers in to the stock dual exhaust system.  By adding some material to the sides of the kit firewall (to fill the space between the firewall and the forward edge of the doors), it looks like a tilt front end might be within reach.

One other thing: there's nothing to tie the gasser front axle to the stock steering box. 

I'm getting tired of "Gasser" being applied to anything that is jacked up. 

Call it a Street Freak, Custom, Hot Rod but not a Gasser. Unless you make the mods to turn it into a legit Gasser. 

Switch chassis with the Coupe and make that a Gas car and the Wagon a Jr. Stocker or Modified production. 

No option for 10% engine setback. So it's not even a gasser. Sigh...

!0% engine setback wasn't mandatory, just the maximum allowed to keep the playing field level for engine-swapped cars.

The wheel combo has me somewhat at a loss. If they measure out at 16" in the rear and 14" in the front, they're OK for real-world, correct, appropriate.

If they measure out at 17" in the rear and 13" in the front, they're damm near hopelessly dorky, incorrect, somebody really should have asked me.

Slicks for something like this are commonly available in 15" and 16" wheel diameter fitments. 17 MAY be available, but I've never seen it.

That design of mag was never available in a 13" with a 5-bolt pattern either...to the best of my knowledge. I could be wrong.

Yeah, staggered rubber looks right on a gasser and fronts were typically as small as they could get away with...but it might have been nice to get it right.

Again, there COULD be real-world analogs of what's in the kit...but I've never seen them in the past 50 years.

If I'm wrong, my most humble apologies to Revell. ;)

PS. If you want a blown Ford big-block, this one is cheap and hard to beat.    rmx7254ford_wm.jpg

Thanks to all for the input and comments on this kit. I am SO glad I started this thread!

Based on what I've seen, I'm pretty sure this is going to be my next HL 40% off purchase. The decal sheet alone could be worth almost that much to me. I have a very special need I'm trying to fill and I think I can do it with this sheet.

I don't have much interest in building a wagon gasser, but I HAVE wanted to build a '56 Ford gasser on the AMT kit for several decades now. This chassis could find its way under that--yeah, I know it's wrong but if it'll fit or can be Snake-whipped to fit, I might do it anyway. Or I might just use the gasser front and rear suspensions on the AMT chassis. Not wild about the Y-block in my '56 Gasser (maybe I'll go early Hemi for that, since I have several sitting around), but I'm also thinking about doing a real low-buck gasser on the AMT '49 Ford and this Y-block might work well for that. And then maybe I'll take the leftovers and do a '57 wagon street cruiser curbside or slammer style.

Again, thanks, everybody! B)

I don't have much interest in building a wagon gasser, but I HAVE wanted to build a '56 Ford gasser on the AMT kit for several decades now. This chassis could find its way under that--yeah, I know it's wrong but if it'll fit or can be Snake-whipped to fit, I might do it anyway.

I think this subject has been touched on previously, but just in case...there's absolutely NO reason a '57 chassis couldn't have found its way under a '56 to build a gasser way back when. Fabricating mounts to hang the body would be well within the ability of any competent racer-builder, and the mucho strong Ford 9" rear debuted in '57...so it would already be there.

The rules didn't specify the chassis HAD to be from the body mounted on top of it, (which is why George Montgomery was able to build his Mustang on an old Willys frame), only that an "automotive type frame" had to be used.

I'll look forward to seeing what you bash together. :D

PS. The Y-block powered '49 budget car is a great idea too...something that really appeals to my love of fast cars built from junk. 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Or I might just use the gasser front and rear suspensions on the AMT chassis.

If I hadn't just glued the little mounting pads for the front leaf springs to the kit chassis (just before re-reading this thrread), I could have dug out an AMT '56 and done a quick test-fit for you. Just eyeballing things as they sit, however, I think that idea might have merit. 

!0% engine setback wasn't mandatory, just the maximum allowed to keep the playing field level for engine-swapped cars.

I know, it's just that calling it a gasser with the engine in the stock location seems kind of "blah", ya know? :lol:

PS. The Y-block powered '49 budget car is a great idea too...something that really appeals to my love of fast cars built from junk.

Then you're going to love this POS. Radiused rear wheel wells, with slicks on black opens. Tube front axle. Jacked to heaven, but level, not nose-up. Paint will be Glossy Sea Blue--the paint used on US Navy airplanes 1944-1956--surplus (or "liberated") dontcha know, with a semi-glossy finish. Overall look will be halfway between the old Ramchargers Plymouth gasser (or was that an Altered) and a somewhat decent looking car. It'll be wild. (I don't remember where, when, or how I came to own an AMT '49 Ford kit, and yet here the thing sits.)

Then you're going to love this POS. Radiused rear wheel wells, with slicks on black opens. Tube front axle. Jacked to heaven, but level, not nose-up. Paint will be Glossy Sea Blue--the paint used on US Navy airplanes 1944-1956--surplus (or "liberated") dontcha know, with a semi-glossy finish. Overall look will be halfway between the old Ramchargers Plymouth gasser (or was that an Altered) and a somewhat decent looking car. It'll be wild. (I don't remember where, when, or how I came to own an AMT '49 Ford kit, and yet here the thing sits.)

Sounds perfect. Love the idea of surplus (liberated ;)) real Navy-blue too.

There wasn't a LOT of speed equipment available for the Y-block (and it had really weird stacked intake ports) but I know for a fact that dual 4-barrel and blower manifolds WERE available. Got to paint that engine the right old Ford red, too.  :D

Image result for y-block dual quad manifold       s-l300.jpg