Model Cars Magazine Forum

Container for Soaking in Super Clean

I'll be re-conditioning a old model I assembled 40+ years ago and bought some Super Clean.  I've had the hood soaking in 91% alcohol but it isn't doing much to the layers of Testors rattle can paint.  I read the jug of Super Clean and it says not to use glass.  Can I use tupperware or other disposable plastic containers for my soak?  I often use the thin metal loaf pans from the supermarket, would they be an option?  I don't want to melt anything and have the Super Clean leak out.

Thanks,

Can I use tupperware or other disposable plastic containers for my soak?  I often use the thin metal loaf pans from the supermarket, would they be an option?  I don't want to melt anything and have the Super Clean leak out.

Yes. To the Tupperware. A one gallon food container works great. Keep the lid tight on it, it does evaporate. I have dissolved aluminum in Super Clean before so I'd be wary using metal.

Yes. To the Tupperware. A one gallon food container works great. Keep the lid tight on it, it does evaporate. I have dissolved aluminum in Super Clean before so I'd be wary using metal.

Yeah. I once tried to mask something off with aluminum foil that I was stripping with Easy Off (same active ingredient, lye). The E-O simply ate the foil and IIRC smelled like rotten eggs doing it, to boot.

I have two of these containers; one for Super Clean and the other for alcohol. Since the top has a rubber seal and locking cover, I keep them filled at all times and always ready for a stripping job. The container is large enough to fit a body. I also have a stainless steel wire basket used in ultra-sonic cleaners that I can put small parts into and drop into the stripping container without having to fish them out. Got mine at Walmart and found the wire basket on eBay under Jeweler supplies.

HT14cr3FxljXXagOFbXH.jpg

$_12.JPG

The TYPE of plastic you use CAN be important too. Ideally, you want to use the identical plastic the stripper is packaged in. This can be found on the bottom of most plastic containers, as it's useful to know for recycling.

Try to match the number (or letter code) of the original container of the product with the number or code of the container you want to use. A little prudence here can avoid nasty surprises later.

Here's a link to the codes:   https://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/lib/different-types-of-plastic.htm

Interesting that they talk about not using glass.  I wonder if anyone has any info on that.  I have been using wide mouth Mason jars for years without an issue.  If I were to guess, I can only think of two issues.  The first would be a safety issue if you were to drop the jar.  The shattering and splashing would be quite dangerous.  The other may be braking from heat generated from the process if non-ferrous metals were involved.  I have never seen an interaction with glass and super klean before.  Any comments?

Interesting that they talk about not using glass.  I wonder if anyone has any info on that.  I have been using wide mouth Mason jars for years without an issue.  If I were to guess, I can only think of two issues.  The first would be a safety issue if you were to drop the jar.  The shattering and splashing would be quite dangerous.  The other may be braking from heat generated from the process if non-ferrous metals were involved.  I have never seen an interaction with glass and super klean before.  Any comments?

My thoughts exactly.

Glass has always been pretty much the universal container-material of choice for many lab chemicals specifically because it's impervious to most everything (other than hot phosphoric acid, hydroflouric acid and hot, strong alkalis).

I had some good OXOX plastic containers that I use for quite a while for alcohol and Super Klean without problem.  Then one day I use one for brake fluid and came out the next morning to a puddle of brake fluid on the bench.  No big fractures, just a series of tiny and I do mean tiny hairline cracks that the fluid seeped through.  That is when I went to glass.

I had some good OXOX plastic containers that I use for quite a while for alcohol and Super Klean without problem.  Then one day I use one for brake fluid and came out the next morning to a puddle of brake fluid on the bench.  No big fractures, just a series of tiny and I do mean tiny hairline cracks that the fluid seeped through.  That is when I went to glass.

Which is exactly why it's always smart to match the numbered type pf plastic you use for your container to the type of plastic the material was delivered in. It's not hard.

You made me think about it and so I checked and both Super Klean and the brake fluid are the same type of container, code 5 HDPP.  The container does not have a code on it but it causes me to wonder what the heck was going on because Super Klean was fine for several years  but brake fluid was not even over night.  I don't get it.  

MY CONTAINER IS THE CHEAP TUPPERWARE KNOCK OFF'S YOU CAN GET AT WALMART 

That's what I use, too. The Zip-Loc/Gladware/store brand equivalent. I find the ones that are about shoebox size are good for the bodies; I use a couple of the 2-cup containers with screw-on lids for small parts.

Charlie Larkin