Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Olds 442 Hardtop

Ron Hamilton

After several attempts, I was able to photograph my finished build of a 1972 Olds 442 2 Door Hardtop.

Mama%20Meeting%20august%202016%20169_zps

Mama%20Meeting%20august%202016%20170_zps

I built this one based on a photo I saw in Muscle Car Review Magazine, even though I did not realize it,  My build is a little different form the one-to-one, in that I installed a set of Missing Link Resin's Olds Dog Dish Caps, mounted on a set of parts box steelies. I used a set of Scabo Scale Uniroyal Tiger Paw Tire Transfers on the kit tires, which is correct for this car. The paint is Tamiya Bright Green Metallic, which is a close match for Oldsmobile's "Radiant Green", and the 4-speed manual transmission. The one to one had Olds "Super Stock" wheels and an automatic transmission.

Mama%20Meeting%20august%202016%20191_zps

I also recreated the 442 Hardtop interior, using various pieces of plastic strip, with the much better detailed Revell interior set up as the base.

Mama%20Meeting%20august%202016%20194_zps

Mama%20Meeting%20august%202016%20193_zps

I really enjoyed building this one, but I am willing to bet that Revell will bring this one out as a kit in the near future. Tommy Olson and Me beat them to the punch.

Would you believe that I have yet to build this kit straight from the box as a 1972 Olds Cutlass Supreme Convertible, or as a Hurst Olds Convertible?

I did one as a '71 Olds 442 Convertible

2010_03241972Olds442W30Vert0004.jpg

and as a 1972 Hurst Olds Hardtop

2010_0320mamameetingmarch20100223.jpg

Ron, That's a really nicely built and painted Car, Well Done. Also I'm glad you held off posting your build until you were as happy with the pictures as you seemed to be about your build. Seems all to often folks are in a hurry for some reason to post Something just so long as it gets out quickly. Personally as soon as I see a blurry picture I stop looking. Needless to say there was no reason to stop looking at yours.

Outstanding!  I agree with Kevin, your red convertible was gorgeous, but this one is even a step beyond!

Great color combo, that Tamiya really does look like that green they used for these Cutlasses.  Seem to recall seeing quite a few in that color when I was a kid.

What puts this over the top for me is the rolling stock - I'm a sucker for pie pans on muscle cars, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone replicate Uniroyal Tiger Paws on a build before.  Once again, great work!