Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy 6-Cylinder Engine

Just got another AMT '37 Chevy. Thinking about using that 6-banger for a low-buck "bits n pieces" drag altered*. Is it suitable, or a completely inappropriate engine?

My research says that the Stovebolt 6 introduced in 1937 was the same basic engine (more or less) used up through the '60s. Right?

I have an old Rod & Custom mag where they're hotrodding a Chev 6 so I can get some inspiration from that. I can scratchbuild some simple headers, and I've got bunches of Webers from '63 Vette kits. Guess I'll have to scratch up some kind of manifold(s) for them.

Sound like a plan?

*Recently bought a cheap glue bomb AMT Parts Pack T body with the rear wheel cutouts--looking to use it in a cheap, simple project of some kind.

My research says that the Stovebolt 6 introduced in 1937 was the same basic engine (more or less) used up through the '60s. Right?

Pretty much. Since accuracy will probably not be an issue, just about any Chevy 6-holer will do.

The primary (visible) difference in the sixes was the method of attaching the valve cover. Up until '54, the valve cover was held on via two studs coming up from the heads and nuts held the cover in place; in '54, flanges were used on the bottom/side of the valve cover, attaching to the heads with bolts instead of nuts.

Thanks Dad. No, ultra-accuracy won't be an issue, I just don't want to make some horrible obvious faux pas.

I gather that early versions of the engines only had 4 exhaust ports (2-3 and 4-5 were siamesed together?) while later versions had 6 separate ports? Same deal on intake side, too, maybe. But if I'm making my own intake/exhaust systems anyway, might not be a big deal.

Thanks Dad. No, ultra-accuracy won't be an issue, I just don't want to make some horrible obvious faux pas.

I gather that early versions of the engines only had 4 exhaust ports (2-3 and 4-5 were siamesed together?) while later versions had 6 separate ports? Same deal on intake side, too, maybe. But if I'm making my own intake/exhaust systems anyway, might not be a big deal.

As an additional thought. Look at the engine in the  AMT '51 Chevy hardtop. It has a build option of a cross flow head with a magneto , nice headers, and fuel injection. The headers have six separate primary pipes into two. A very nice chrome valve cover. The kit also has some nice chrome traction bars and chrome wheels, two standard and two reversed. If you find one of the recent reissues of this kit it will have pad printed Racemaster slicks also.   

As an additional thought. Look at the engine in the  AMT '51 Chevy hardtop. It has a build option of a cross flow head with a magneto , nice headers, and fuel injection. The headers have six separate primary pipes into two. A very nice chrome valve cover. The kit also has some nice chrome traction bars and chrome wheels, two standard and two reversed. If you find one of the recent reissues of this kit it will have pad printed Racemaster slicks also.   

That's good information, but I don't have an AMT '51 Chevy in the Snakepit, have no plans to buy one, and wouldn't buy one just for the engine for this "bits n pieces" project. The idea is to slap it together out of leftover unloved junk I have on hand (much like how many of these REAL cars were built).B)

Honestly the '37 in-liner is the nicest Chevy six this side of a Galaxie kit. I have done the AMT 51, the Monogram '53 and the AMT '37. All are pretty good. Finding one in a drag car wasn't common, but not unheard of. I did a similar query before I did this.

1_zpsc81135e5.jpg

2013-04-14181850_zps0edca2e3.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

For a more simple "back in the day" style exhaust, it wasn't uncommon for the stock manifold to simply be cut between cylinder 3 and 4, ends plated off, and a downpipe welded onto the front half of the manifold to make a split "header" for the Chevrolet 6. Alternatively, if you have it in your stash, the AMT '51 Fleetline sedan kit does have both a decent Nicson dual carb intake and reasonable set of late style Fenton headers.

I want to make something kinda sorta along these lines. Actually this is a pretty good pic, as it shows both the Weber manifold and the exhaust port locations.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/File:250_w_fi.jpg

AMT '53 Corvette might have something like that? I have an intake from a BBC that has those Webers so I know the carbs are available. If you can find the carbs then any of the I6's would work for you.