Model Cars Magazine Forum

tamiya vs revell paints

hi all just need to pick some brains from here. I have just brought a few 'tamiya' paints for my new kit. when painting them on they seem to go on very thin and once dry going to put a 2nd coat on pulls the first coat off, am I right in thinking that they are not meant for brush application and are just meant for air brush use ???.

I don't have the use of an airbrush and don't build enough to credit getting one so I just use a brush to do the detail painting and auto spray paints for the bodies and big bits. I have use revell paints a lot in the past and not had the same issue as I have with the Tamiya paints. that's what has lead me to think they are mainly airbrush use not brush..

and help on this would be much appreciated.

thanks stu :) 

Unfortunately, Revell paints are not sold in the US so I can't make a comparison. I have found the Tamiya paints don't work as well for brushing as, say, Testors. Tamiya metallic colors do seem to work pretty well for me. I've been using other than Tamiya for most brush painting.

Edited by SSNJim

I've been using Tamiya for some time, and have never come across that issue. Perhaps the plastic still had mold release on it? It might also be an issue with the plastic itself, some plastics are known for not holding paint very well, or possibly that the first coat wasn't fully dry yet.

One thing I would ask as far as technique goes, are you priming the parts or applying direct to bare plastic? Priming the parts first will give the paint a better surface to grab on to.

I've been using Tamiya for some time, and have never come across that issue. Perhaps the plastic still had mold release on it? It might also be an issue with the plastic itself, some plastics are known for not holding paint very well, or possibly that the first coat wasn't fully dry yet.

One thing I would ask as far as technique goes, are you priming the parts or applying direct to bare plastic? Priming the parts first will give the paint a better surface to grab on to.

hi there thanks for your reply. as for prep yes the parts have all been washed and are all primed with Tamiya spray primer.