Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 911 GT1 W/ Scale Motorsport Super Detail Kit & Other Details

Quick GMC

this will be a slow build, I don't get much time any more. I started this a month or two ago, and a week or so ago, I came across a member selling the SMS Super Detail set and I jumped on it. 

I am using the SMS Super Detail turned parts, SMS PE set and the Hobby Design McLaren F1 GTR brake set, which uses the same brakes and hubs as the 911 GT1.

The Hobby Design brakes are a lot bigger than the kit brakes, but still kit inside the wheel just fine.

I don't know why HD only includes enough PE brake faces to do 2 rotors, so I decided to not use them and paint the rotors a carbon color. 

PE Brembo faces

nice crisp detail

I nipped off the molded in bleeder detail

Made the crossover tube

Added the .5mm brass nuts from Scale Hardware

Not too difficult to make 1, but making 4 look the same is time consuming

Mockup with the PE face that I didn't end up using

I decided to go one step further and add RB Motion bleeders. Tiny

Painted the calipers Brembo Gold from Gravity Colors, then diluted some Tamiya red acrylic to paint the Brembo letters

Painted the hubs Alclad II Pale Gold. Now comes the fun part, adding all the PE bold heads

Before & After

A million years later

Rotors were painted with Model Master Metalizer (I forget color) then gently rubbed with a dense cotton swab for contrast
Before & after. Not a huge difference, but enough

Looks great when done

More to come

I'm kind of jumping around on this one. 

Cup holder detail. Bracket is from SMS set, weld lines from Top Studio, Aluminum tube

A little tricky, but it came together nicely. 

Kit interior piece with SMS PE pieces

Some of the PE pieces glued in place

Hobby Design fire extinquishers

Hobby Design metal fittings]

New piece compared to kit piece

Acu Stion computers

Resin electrical connectors

Wires to come later

Mockup with some of the parts done

Here's what I did with the seat

Engine stuff. 

Mockup to check fit

I want to display the car on the race jacks, so I am checking the fit for rod

Removed some of the molded in detail

Separated the tank and jack

Jack will be part of tank

Here's a mockup with the turned jack from the SMS Super Detail set

Kit exhaust with molded in springs does not look good. 

Turned some aluminum in the Dremel

From bottom to top: kit part, aluminum, aluminum after polishing

Got some motorcycle exhaust springs, this will look so much better

SMS Super Detail turned inner and outer hubs, aluminum shaft 

I may blacken or paint the hubs

Kit oil reservoir cap compare to SMS Super Detail turned cap and PE cover

That's it for now. 

Hey Cameron,

One of the tricks I use for carbon rotors is to use a sharpened soft lead pencil (HB) to do the rotor face detail. The graphite mimicks carbon rotors quite well. You may have to mess around with the pattern a little but I have found small overlapping circles on the rotor face looks very realistic.

Great job so far! Will be watching.

Seems weird about the Brembo insignia only being two pieces. Is it possible the intent is to use them as a template for painting instead of a permanent attachment?  By the way, looking to be an incredible build.  Can't wait to see it finished. 

Seems weird about the Brembo insignia only being two pieces. Is it possible the intent is to use them as a template for painting instead of a permanent attachment?  By the way, looking to be an incredible build.  Can't wait to see it finished. 

The Brembo logo had 8 pieces, one piece for each side of the rotors. It was the rotor faces that they shorted, they only included enough rotor faces to do one side of each rotor. For this build, it wouldn't work because I am displaying it with wheels and rear engine cover off. The Brembo logos weren't etched all the way through either, just recessed, so a dilute paint flowed right in there nicely. 

Amazing work.

Probably a dumb question,but what do you use to bend PE pieces with? Like those electronic boxes etc.

I actually bought a PE bending tool. When I first saw these, I though it was a gimmick, but they really do make a huge difference. 

I bought a different brand, but this is where I first saw them: http://thesmallshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=9

Builds like this make me want to give up modeling and take up something like needlepoint, because I figure I'll never be this good. ?? 

Amazing work... unbelievable skill. I'll be following this one. 

I have learned everything from being on the forums over the years. I think the biggest thing I have to teach myself is patience, but a lot of the tricks and techniques have been from other people's builds over the years. The bolt heads on the brake rotors took forever. There are 48 in total, and I think it took me 200 tries to get them all aligned and glues on correctly. The crossover line on the rotors, I think I made 10 to get 4 good ones. I usually end up having to paint cars 2-3 times before getting something presentable. 

i watch guys on facebook that are really, really good. Turning their own parts, soldering cages and frames, etc. Those guys make me want to give it up when I see what they can do, especially with the 1/43 stuff. I want to have high detailed builds, but my knowledge and skill level is not quite there yet. For every nicely detailed part I have, it took me several tried to get there. I just spent a total of 4+ hours trying to get the right look for 2 oil lines. I wanted it to resemble the real car and I was having trouble getting the right look and size. Such a stupid little thing on the car that could literally be done in black wire and look fine. 

I appreciate everyone's' compliments.