Model Cars Magazine Forum

It's time to say goodbye to Florida - End of story 3/19

Jantrix

I'll have AAA map out my trip with that in mind.

A decent GPS app  is WAZE,   it will map out your trip but is an audience participation thing....  people report road issues,  accidents, cops and even cars parked in the shoulder.  I keep it running often when I'm in the car, just for the road and cop reports.  It is a battery hog so I always have the phone plugged in.

WOW,, to pick up cold feet and move to an area with no family near by would be tough. But I commend you on it.

We plan to make a move to southern AZ in under the next 2 years tops ( daughter graduates summer of 2018 ) 

So I kind of understand,,,but its to get away from the cold weather is our driving force. Wish you luck

Thanks very much. I'm looking forward to the trip. I've already got my route, it's basically a west, north, west, north zigzag across the American west. It adds some mileage but it should keep me out of the snow as much as possible.

Art, the GSL trip is already being planned.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update to let you know how this went. 

I left Florida on January 3rd and headed west. I slid under and then behind the arctic blast that was moving east at the time, avoiding most of the worst of it. Five day trip. No issues, my Toyota was terrific.

Afterward I met my family in Mountain Home and spent the next 2.5 moths looking for work. I started what could be turn out to be my dream job, last week. Test tech for a company that makes emergency lighting, alarms, sirens for police, security, construction, utility vehicles. Strictly a prototype unit job - NO PRODUCTION WORK. :D

So, long story short, all's well and the family is much happier here in the country. Such a risk, but it seems to have worked out. Thanks everyone for your well wishes and interest. Over and out.

Just a quick update to let you know how this went. 

I left Florida on January 3rd and headed west. I slid under and then behind the arctic blast that was moving east at the time, avoiding most of the worst of it. Five day trip. No issues, my Toyota was terrific.

Afterward I met my family in Mountain Home and spent the next 2.5 moths looking for work. I started what could be turn out to be my dream job, last week. Test tech for a company that makes emergency lighting, alarms, sirens for police, security, construction, utility vehicles. Strictly a prototype unit job - NO PRODUCTION WORK. :D

So, long story short, all's well and the family is much happier here in the country. Such a risk, but it seems to have worked out. Thanks everyone for your well wishes and interest. Over and out.

Glad to hear things are going well and you said the main important thing that everyone is happy....

I'm glad the move is working out for you.  Now that you're here, we like to keep this state a secret:D  I think I know the company you're working for and they are highly respected and employee oriented, good luck Rob.  

It's ECCO.  Off exit 54. Thanks guys.