Model Cars Magazine Forum

It's time to say goodbye to Florida - End of story 3/19

Jantrix

As of right now, the plan is for my wife and sons (both grown and out of school) to move our household to Boise, Idaho when our lease ends on Oct. 31. We went up in March and we loved it. I've been shooting resume's up there but no bites yet. A call to a local temp agency tells me that no one is hiring from out of town because they don't want to pay relocation. So it's time to get there. I'll be staying in Tampa solo for a while until my wife and sons get jobs and settled and then I'll move myself. Gotta keep the paychecks coming while we do this.

Frankly we're just not happy here anymore. We got decent jobs but it's just so darn crowded. 4.5 million people in Tampa Bay. The suburbs keep moving further and further out. Folks are driving an hour plus, just to live in an non-urban environment. And I'm finding that the older I get, the less tolerant I am of the humidity. I love to fish and camp out and do outdoor stuff, but the heat/humidity sucks every last bit of fun out of it. And a summer that starts in April and lasts until October doesn't help. 

Boise seems like a good location. Zero humidity, population 250,000. Hot in summer, cold in the winter, but mild snow due to geography. Tech jobs available. You can still buy land fairly cheaply. You don't have to be on top of your neighbor. 6 hours from Yellowstone, six hours from Oregon coast, four hours to Salt Lake (already planning a Speed Week trip with my brother in law) and depending how this election goes, just four hours to Canada. :D

I'm just tired of the rut we're in. It feels like we're existing, but not really living. Our days go - traffic, work, traffic, eat, sleep, traffic, work etc, etc. The rat race. My wife wants to do a hobby farm. Build an aquaponics system (she is an irrigation guru, so she would rock this) and raise our own crops and maybe some cattle to keep us fed. I think it's time to take a chance and try living for a change.

The downside is of course the risk, and leaving my folks here. They have local support so I'm not too worried, but it will be tough on my mom. They support our move though. Another regret, is all the pals I've made in the local modeling community. It's been a lot of fun. I hope to see everyone before I go, but we'll see how things pan out. If I don't see you before I leave, take care.

Oh and moving is like kryptonite to my urge to build, so you likely won't see any progress on my builds. 

Edited by Jantrix

Good luck with this, Rob, I'm sure you've made the right decision.

I recently left New Zealand's largest city (I.4m) to live in a much smaller town on the Eastern coast (pop. 60k) and love it down here.  As you say, no crowds, no traffic, no rat race.  And it has a thriving modelling community and hobby shop - bonus!

Boise seems like a good location. Zero humidity, population 250,000. Hot in summer, cold in the winter, but mild snow due to geography. Tech jobs available. You can still buy land fairly cheaply. You don't have to be on top of your neighbor. 6 hours from Yellowstone, six hours from Oregon coast, four hours to Salt Lake

That is all a great set of reasons right there. Sounds like I need to live there too! Lol

Good luck to you and your family, Rob! Not too often you hear of anyone actually voluntarily LEAVING Florida, let alone having the nerve to decide to stop being a corporate zombie! I have traveled in that region of the country quite a bit, it is nature at it's best.

Good luck on your relocation. My wife and I did much the same thing about 20 years ago moving from Sacramento to the Kansas City area. Many of the same issues, and I stayed behind for a few months to get the house sold. It took a couple of months to find the job I wanted, but it happened and we are both very happy  that we moved. Much better over all quality of life. Again good luck to you and your family.  

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I'll keep you guys posted on how things go. To say that I'm a little bit nervous (read- terrified) taking this chance, is an understatement. I like to live as stress free and uncomplicated a life as I can. It's just my nature. This is a huge risk. I spent nearly two years looking for permanent work when we moved to Jacksonville in '02. I hope this move goes smoother.

Boise Idaho is a great place, notice I did not say City... Because it has a small town feel to it lots to do in Idaho. 

You will like it I lived there for 5 years worked on the Ada county courthouse for 2-1/2 years but stay out of there and good luck to you ?

Sounds like the reason I really want to get out of EMass, and head to CMass or WMass. New Hampshire and Maine are on the radar, too.

A big move like that can be daunting, but you can do it. Start building your network as best you can and hopefully you'll hit the ground wheels down, if not already rolling.

Charlie Larkin

• 3 months later...

Update - My wife and sons left Florida on Oct 31. They are in Mountainhome, Id. in a rental home, looking for work or already working. I've been living with family for six weeks now. Since we have a bit of a savings cushion, I've decided it's time for me to leave. I submitted my resignation yesterday. My last day at Honeywell Aerospace is Jan 3rd. I'll start my drive on the fourth. Turns out Honeywell has a small company in Boise, and my manager will be calling to put in a good word. Lets hope it works out. It'll be good to have boots on the ground where I'm looking for work though. It's been tough going finding employment from 2600 miles away. Fingers crossed.

Good luck to you Rob!  That's a grand adventure.

I've been to Idaho.  One year after GSL, we pointed the rental car north and headed for Idaho just so we could say we'd been there.  We wound up at a resort lake area in the little town of Paris, Idaho.  We found a general store that was owned and manned by a guy from Long Island, NY who had retired there.  I did ask for directions to the Paris Hilton.  No there wasn't one.

Thanks guys. I really am relying a bit on mother nature to be gentle with this poor boy who hasn't driven in snow for a while. I've got a front wheel drive Toyota Highlander with recent tires. So I should be okay on plowed roads. I'll have AAA map out my trip with that in mind.

Oh my, good luck Rob.

Winter tires will get you through light, white stuff.  Summer tires will fail when it gets white. 

I even have winter tires on my Vespa scooter.  Not so much for snow, but the rubber compound is better adapted to lower temps and allow more grip even on fogged up damper asphalt surfaces. 

Safe driving to you.