Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Rare AMT 65 Mercury

Porscheman

This was a quick restoration. I was lucky to find an almost mint promo with exception of a broken rear bumper, but with the help of fellow modeler Bob Ellis with a replacement bumper, I was able to turn this one around. It's painted Testors Flame Red with a masking tape Black vinyl top.

Thanks for looking.

Al 

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Very nice work on a very unusual subject, Al! My parents had a 1:1 four door in Ivy Gold (I was brought home from the hospital in it!), I built that kit MANY years ago (I paid $25 for a boxed, un-started kit at a 1:1 swap meet!), it's still in my parents basement...SOMEWHERE. If I may give you a little tip, the simulated air scoop on the front fenders of that car were flat silver, would really make your model stand out! Otherwise, very well done.

Been on a search for a set of stock hubcaps since, with no luck so far.

Steve

Steve, those are the standard stock hubcaps for full-sized '65 Mercs that Al has on his model. The optional deluxe version was essentially only different because it had a spinner added to the center. If you are willing to fudge just a little, the deluxe cap for the '66-'67s are very similar, the biggest difference being that part of the veined section between the outer edge and the center is raised to give the spinner a larger area to sit on., those are in the '66 kit that has been re-issued 2-3 times, is rather easy and cheap to find.

Beautiful build of a great car. Nice job on the vinyl top especially. I did a 66 in Phoenician yellow a few years back and love that model. Wish AMT did a 67 or better a 68 of that car. The big Mercury's always had it all over the stable mate Ford I think. Just an overall better looking car..great job on this !!!

Very nice work on a very unusual subject, Al! My parents had a 1:1 four door in Ivy Gold (I was brought home from the hospital in it!), I built that kit MANY years ago (I paid $25 for a boxed, un-started kit at a 1:1 swap meet!), it's still in my parents basement...SOMEWHERE. If I may give you a little tip, the simulated air scoop on the front fenders of that car were flat silver, would really make your model stand out! Otherwise, very well done.

I corrected the omission of the air scopes. Thank you for pointing that out and thank you everyone for all the nice comment on my Mercury.

Al

Hosted on Fotki