Model Cars Magazine Forum

I tried to cover the hinges with some .020 that I sanded down to about .008, but the cement distorted it, so I filled the gap with 3 pieces of .030.  The one line from the door panel is in line with the hinges, so I can add that to them and make them blend in better.

A look through the widow.

I thought the frame was ready for paint, but I forgot to fill in an angle that was in the frame so the floor would lay flat. In doing so I broke a glue joint, so a brace was added and new body mounts were made. Hopefully now it's ready for paint.

After breaking the glue joints on the body twice, I figured I had done enough to the interior to cement the roof on. This means I will think of something that will be a whole lot harder to do with it on that I forgot to do.  I originally had the idea of making a grille shell that mimicked a bug hood, unfortunately it made the car look way to long. I made the grille from a plastic spoon and added about 3 layers of  melted plastic filler, then sanded to shape to give it the raised look.

P9030731%20Medium_zpswoqs6x7s.jpg

So now the idea is to mount the radiator in the back. After cutting out the hole I wrapped it with .040 rod.

P9040744%20Medium_zpsktgee94k.jpg

The lip was too pronounced to my eye, so I sanded the bottom of it off and it looks much better. I also decided to sink the taillights and move them out a bit.

P9050748%20Medium_zpshhdwunij.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

I really liked the shape of the 'bug' grill you made,but not sure the reason you nixed it ... made the whole vehicle too long?

My original plan was to do a street rod style car. I didn't have a frame that I could use, nor did I want to build my own this time. When I decided to use the Stingaree frame the build changed from a street rod to a crazy fairground cruiser, cool looking but totally impractical. This was mostly due to the front wheels being so far forward. The wheelbase is fine to me for a trailer queen, but the mass of the body and motor still needs to stay as short as possible. I could have shortened the bed more, but then the body would not have the look I wanted. Right now the bulk of the car starts at the front of the engine. If I add the grill and radiator to the front, the grille needs to be in front of the tie rod, which is even longer than the pic. This now puts of the mass to the front and adds almost an inch to the model. To me the balance of the whole car would be wrong and much too long.

My original plan was to do a street rod style car. I didn't have a frame that I could use, nor did I want to build my own this time. When I decided to use the Stingaree frame the build changed from a street rod to a crazy fairground cruiser, cool looking but totally impractical. This was mostly due to the front wheels being so far forward. The wheelbase is fine to me for a trailer queen, but the mass of the body and motor still needs to stay as short as possible. I could have shortened the bed more, but then the body would not have the look I wanted. Right now the bulk of the car starts at the front of the engine. If I add the grill and radiator to the front, the grille needs to be in front of the tie rod, which is even longer than the pic. This now puts of the mass to the front and adds almost an inch to the model. To me the balance of the whole car would be wrong and much too long.

Yeah, I get it ... but put the grill in the 'use me' box. :)

I believe this is proof positive that the use of Minions is running rampant in our hobby.

If they start talking "Union", PM me. Or John T, or Chris, or Art, or Tim, or Brad......... See where I'm going?

Sweetness is the best way to describe the door latch work. The final mock up looks amazing Dave.

I've got the door seems cleaned up and two coats of primer on the body. The right side door needs more work, I think the hinge is a little off making the bottom of the door in a bit from the body. It was quite a bit easier to do many things with the roof off, but it also made aligning the doors a nightmare. Now that the body is not flexing, the hinges work pretty well.

P9070762%20Medium_zpsgyeglc42.jpg

P9070761%20Medium_zpsq7burzru.jpg

I had to build up the rockers with some melted styrene which from now on will be known as "Styrene Bondo". Once this hardens up I can start with round one of finishing putty.

Edited by Psychographic

It was small parts day.

I cut two pedals from a Nascar kit, made a bracket to hang them from, and made a master cylinder which will mount to the pedal mount. I reworked the steering column to give it more detail, the turn signal lever it a pin dipped in Styrene Bondo and shaped by rolling it between my fingers after it had set up a while. I was afraid there wasn't going to be enough room for the pedals and the steering column, they just barely fit.

P9070768%20Medium_zpsmuvc4v43.jpg

P9070766%20Medium_zpsyzrzgi7d.jpg

While I'm on a roll with small parts, I thought I would sand down the stock taillights to fit my sunken buckets which are smaller than the stock lights. I drilled the back side and Ca glues some beading wire into the backs to hold them for sanding.

P9070769%20Medium_zpsp3ppeoch.jpg

I wont remove the wire until the body is painted as I'm sure they will need a little more finessing  to fit.

P9070770%20Medium_zpshmty9rbh.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

???

Sorry for the vagueness of that statement.

It's a running joke that the aforementioned members of the Model Cars Magazine Forum Brotherhood have had their work areas invaded and taken over by Minions who cause havoc and chaos, but also, like Elves in a Cobblers shop, secretly work on their master's models while they sleep. This creates the illusion that much more progress is being made in too short a time.

I became aware of their existence when I got up early one morning. When I turned on the light, they froze like cockroaches.

Welcome to the Brotherhood.

20160106_115009.jpg

Sorry for the vagueness of that statement.

It's a running joke that the aforementioned members of the Model Cars Magazine Forum Brotherhood have had their work areas invaded and taken over by Minions who cause havoc and chaos, but also, like Elves in a Cobblers shop, secretly work on their master's models while they sleep. This creates the illusion that much more progress is being made in too short a time.

I became aware of their existence when I got up early one morning. When I turned on the light, they froze like cockroaches.

Welcome to the Brotherhood.

Can I blame the Minions when I screw something up?