Model Cars Magazine Forum

My worst fears realized

Harry P.

After reading your latest update Harry I have even more sympathy for you. Bad enough to hear that the first treatment was painful, but the ensuing attempt to alleviate the pain caused by it sounds horrible.

I remain hopeful that somehow as a country we can fix the many wrongs that have occurred to the healthcare system over the last 6 years so that simple things like getting pain killers for a person truly in need doesn't take so long.

Continued prayers Harry.

Unfortunately the abusers are why the rules are like they are.  Sorry you are so far away, I would invite you over and show you what I have and then leave theroom. Never was good at counting how many are in the bottles.

Best of luck with the chemo.

Dear Harry,

I am trully sorry to hear that you are diagnosed with Cancer, it always hurts to hear that someone you know well has a bad diagnose. I can not imagine how you must've felt when finding this out. But I do believe you to be a fighter and have a positive attitude, I think that those 2 things will help more than we think in getting better.

I hope you will defeat this and get out of it stronger. Get well soon Harry! We are not done with you yet!

(when it comes to such delicate subjects, I feel that my English is not always as it should be, so if there is any doubt in the way I put things, go for the positive meaning, sorry)

Stupid me missed these postings.  Sorry to hear your diagnosis, Harry.  Cancer is not fun.  I've been able to beat it twice so far, but it isn't easy.  Just hang in there the best you can.  Your forum friends are here for you.

Edited by crazyjim

We may very well have the best doctors in the world, and the best medical care in the world... but we have a third-world medical care system. Even the docs I talk to are frustrated. It's a convoluted, bureaucratic mess of red tape, delays, miscommunication, and over-regulation. I am experiencing our medical care system for the first time, and I can tell you the system and how it works has me more frustrated than my medical condition itself.

The day that those elected by the people, for the people, will start working for the people, trying to build and organize a better America, an America which works for everyone who's paying taxes, and not only for the ones, who actually try everything to avoid paying them, will be a day to remember.

Now those in power are only ego tripping and riding the money train, the founding fathers are spinning in their grave...

just my 2 cents

Edited by Luc Janssens

I've been following this thread for some time and even though I sent a PM, I would very much like to express my sorrow in your diagnosis and experience with our healthcare system.

There's not much to add other then stocking up when possible.

Again, very very sorry.

Being only 47, I deathly fear having to one day actually use it myself.  I hope to never do.

Edited by aurfalien

If you are sick going into this health care system of ours, you'll be twice as sick trying to make sense of it and use it. It's pathetic how health care works in this country. I had no idea how bad it actually is... I figured all the "talking heads" on TV were just being dramatic. Turns out it's even worse that they portray it. Of course, once you understand how things work, it's a lot easier to make your way around. But as a total newcomer to our health care system, I am pretty overwhelmed by it.

If you are sick going into this health care system of ours, you'll be twice as sick trying to make sense of it and use it. It's pathetic how health care works in this country. I had no idea how bad it actually is... I figured all the "talking heads" on TV were just being dramatic. Turns out it's even worse that they portray it. Of course, once you understand how things work, it's a lot easier to make your way around. But as a total newcomer to our health care system, I am pretty overwhelmed by it.

Just be glad it's not the VA. They will just throw pills at you until your dead. My friend that just recently passed away fought a stomach problem for over 15 years. He was a truck driver, worked for small Mom and Pop companies most of his life, no insurance at any of them. He was an Army Vet, so he at least that. But, they had him on 6 Prilosecs a day for the stomach acid, never once tried to figure out the cause. 15 years, he did this till one day, in the truck, at a truck stop, luckily not too far from his sister, his colon exploded. They then found he had cancer. So they removed his colon. Never checked for anymore cancer anywhere. A year later, at a regular hospital, which decided to direct bill the VA or get a lawyer to get them to pay, found he had stage 4 liver cancer. He lived 2 years after his colon was removed. The VA tried to give him the runaround. But that local hospital, to him, had other plans. He lived in western South Dakota, near Rapid City, about 2 hours north of it. 

I'm really glad to see that your Dr's caught it early and are very optimistic. Too bad the "system" has to be difficult. 

My wife and son have had to play the system game since he was born. They're doing better now and the issues have all but gone away, requiring the need of the system, for now. Be strong Harry, I can't begin to imagine the pain your going through. Like what everyone else is saying, same goes for me. You'll get through this, come out the other side of this stronger. 

Harry, just heard about your situation in one of the other threads.  Thoughts and prayers for you as you fight this.

Sorry to here about your experiences with the new healthcare bureaucracy, unfortunately it's now the new normal.  As my mom has gotten older, unfortunately she has had to be hospitalized multiple times over the last 10 years.  She's been in 3 times in the last 2 years alone, and let me tell you the last couple hospitalizations have been a 180 degree bad turn from just a few short years ago.

One key factor in the Obamacare scheme is denial of coverage to try to keep costs down, so your physician's recommendations are often no longer good enough to qualify you for coverage.

I'm also in charge of my family's finances, which includes monitoring health insurance statements, paying bills for our copays and deductibles, etc.  With me, my wife, and 3 kids, it sometimes feels like a second job just figuring out what you legitimately owe and making sure the insurance is paying what they should.

I'm in the middle of fighting my insurance right now for my wife's hip surgery this past June.  They're currently refusing to pay because they've deemed it "medically unnecessary".  Because of course there's an epidemic of people getting hip surgery purely for the heck of it...

Once the plethora of bills start coming in, your head will really start to spin. I have had friends and family battle cancer, and I have seen how it can take it's toll on someone, so I wish you the best Harry. I hope lots of prayers come your way, and that you will have the support from both family and friends as you get through this. I truly do.

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

A reminder; good wishes are wonderful but the best possible way to support Harry is to contribute to his fund.

Not only is he battling this most serious disease, but he's also battling staggering costs and a health care system that is not worthy of the name. Red tape and huge costs everywhere he turns.

Help all you can.

C

After working away from home and a recent vacation I've missed a lot of posts, including this one, I'm so sorry to hear this sad news Harry, and I'm sure with the correct medication and a strong will, you can beat this and be back living a normal life as soon as possible, stay strong my friend .....

Thanks to all for your good wishes and prayers. I appreciate it more than you know. But I will now lock this thread, because Cato has started another one basically dealing with the same subject. I will keep you all updated on my progress on Cato's thread.