Model Cars Magazine Forum

My worst fears realized

Harry P.

I have been sitting here for several hours trying to decide whether or not I should post this information. It's 4:30 AM here now, and I have decided to just do it. Plus, I have had more than enough drinks by this time to try and calm myself and get up the nerve to post this.

If you have been reading some of my various posts you may be aware that I had been diagnosed with Sciatica. The orthopedist had me undergo a spinal MRI to confirm, bur he saw nothing unusual in the results. So he had me undergo a second MRI, this time from another angle (hip). And this morning, in his office, he told me what I had already sort of guessed was the real problem. Not Sciatica, but Cancer.

Specifically, colo-rectal cancer. An aggressive form that is spreading. He seems to think that it has been caught early enough for a successful recovery, but he's an orthopedic surgeon, not a cancer expert.

So tomorrow morning I go to see an oncologist, where I will hopefully get more specific information regarding my condition, and my chances of beating this.

I have not told my children this yet, or anyone else. I want more specific information before I tell them. I don't want to worry them until I have a solid prognosis. But I feel like you guys are like a second family to me, so that's why I decided to post this.

More specific information as I receive it.

Harry,

There is nothing that can be said to make this better or to help understand why. You have a tough road ahead and I think you need to let your family know so they can be there with you. It's hard enough to learn this but it's even harder when you do it alone. Gather your family, fill them in and let them help and support you as this goes forward. Prayers for you and yours.

I have a 40 year old nephew going through this exact same thing right now. I hope this is caught soon enough to fix it.

Mark

Harry, I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear this. All I can say is stay strong and try to keep a positive outlook. This can be beat. You have many friends here for you if you need to share even if hundreds of miles away. Thanks for sharing as that in itself can sometimes help. Prayers are with you .

Harry,

There is nothing that can be said to make this better or to help understand why. You have a tough road ahead and I think you need to let your family know so they can be there with you. It's hard enough to learn this but it's even harder when you do it alone. Gather your family, fill them in and let them help and support you as this goes forward. Prayers for you and yours.

I have a 40 year old nephew going through this exact same thing right now. I hope this is caught soon enough to fix it.

Mark

Like Mark says, this too big to handle alone. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you. If this can help, I have thee friends walking around AFTER colorectal cancer.

My Prayers for your recovery Harry. For what it's worth unless your Childern and a local friend are the type of folks that go insane with bad news. I'd suggest bringing in local support sooner than later. I was in the position of the Child in the past and I can say both sides do better that way.

I'm so sorry to hear that, Harry. My thoughts are with you, and you know we're all here for you.

I don't know whether there's an equivalent in the US, but these people:

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/index.html

were fantastically helpful to my brother-in-law, his wife, and child when she was diagnosed and treated. There are a lot of support materials generally, and good advice on how to to talk to your children about it here:

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/coping/talking-about-cancer/talking-to-children

With very best wishes.

All the best,

Matt

Just an additional thought...attitude is important. There is growing scientific evidence that suggests the mind-body relationship in fighting any kind of disease may be very real. Try to stay positive, though this may seem difficult. Fight hard, and keep repeating to yourself you can beat it.

The survival rates for what you've been diagnosed with are very high these days, particularly when it's been caught early...as yours apparently has. Try to keep this in mind, because you have a VERY good chance of walking away from it in good health.

Medicine has come a long long way in a relatively few years, so remember, the odds are decidedly in your favor for a complete recovery. Let that knowledge strengthen your resolve.

This is some really tough news to hear about,  hang in there Harry.  You're a central figure here, this shows that you posted this intimate information, and this is a positive response from your part.

Try and think positive after the initial news has settled somewhat. 

Modern times will help you along.

Just an additional thought...attitude is important. There is growing scientific evidence that suggests the mind-body relationship in fighting any kind of disease may be very real. Try to stay positive, though this may seem difficult. Fight hard, and keep repeating to yourself you can beat it.

The survival rates for what you've been diagnosed with are very high these days, particularly when it's been caught early...as yours apparently has. Try to keep this in mind, because you have a VERY good chance of walking away from it in good health.

Medicine has come a long long way in a relatively few years, so remember, the odds are decidedly in your favor for a complete recovery. Let that knowledge strengthen your resolve.

Everything Bill said.

Hang in there, Harry. We're all pulling for you.

Charlie Larkin

I have been sitting here for several hours trying to decide whether or not I should post this information. It's 4:30 AM here now, and I have decided to just do it. Plus, I have had more than enough drinks by this time to try and calm myself and get up the nerve to post this.

If you have been reading some of my various posts you may be aware that I had been diagnosed with Sciatica. The orthopedist had me undergo a spinal MRI to confirm, bur he saw nothing unusual in the results. So he had me undergo a second MRI, this time from another angle (hip). And this morning, in his office, he told me what I had already sort of guessed was the real problem. Not Sciatica, but Cancer.

Specifically, colo-rectal cancer. An aggressive form that is spreading. He seems to think that it has been caught early enough for a successful recovery, but he's an orthopedic surgeon, not a cancer expert.

So tomorrow morning I go to see an oncologist, where I will hopefully get more specific information regarding my condition, and my chances of beating this.

I have not told my children this yet, or anyone else. I want more specific information before I tell them. I don't want to worry them until I have a solid prognosis. But I feel like you guys are like a second family to me, so that's why I decided to post this.

More specific information as I receive it.

Harry, that is AWFUL news to read today!   While I cringe at the thought--please be as brave as you possibly can (braver than brave seems an appropriate term here) and go foward, post-haste for sure.

We may have our disagreements, but seriously, the World as we here on these forums NEEDS YOU!  (Oh and your kids--grandkids too if that fits--to be here going foward.  My prayers are already going up for this to be a positive outcome!

Art Anderson  (who knows a little bit about life-threatening issues!)