Model Cars Magazine Forum

Honored to be in the "Clone the past"

Hi,

A few years ago, a friend told me that he had seen pictures of one of my old model cars on line so I looked it up and

was amazed to see pictures of my "Hybrid Special" from the model mag that had featured it back in 1965 and leaned that it was

being recreated by someone for a model car museum.  I tried emailing that site to let them know that I still have that model

and several others that I built from that time period, but didn't get any response. 

I just happened to think about that today and googled "Jack Herndon model car builder" and stumbled onto John Teresi's post with the

finished pictures of the "clone".......WOW.....I'm kind of blown away that anyone, except me, would have kept that old magazine,

and that anyone thought enough of my model to recreate it.  John's version of the model is very, very beautiful and probably better crafted than

my original. I really like some of the changes like the nose curving more downward and the different dashboard styling.

Well done John, I know you have many, many hours in that project and the finished product is stunning!

Thanks for making an old man's day!

I will try to post some pictures of that model and pictures of the other survivors that I still have.

Glad to be a new forum member,

Jack Herndon

Welcome indeed!

It's pretty cool for you to be one of the builders whose work has been re-created.

I'm certain a lot of us here would LOVE to see some of your originals. I sure would.  :D

This is the John Teresi build mentioned above...

And this is Jack Herndon's original...

How%20to.1_zpsr4x8vfhl.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks for sharing the original article.We used what we had available in those days,although I personally never built ant body's from card stock.Are/were the body panels solid?I can't imagine trying to do the extensive and complicated body work you did on a flexible hollow body shell.Are you still building?If so believe me THIS is the golden age of model building.Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for sharing the original article.We used what we had available in those days,although I personally never built ant body's from card stock.Are/were the body panels solid?I can't imagine trying to do the extensive and complicated body work you did on a flexible hollow body shell.Are you still building?If so believe me THIS is the golden age of model building.Welcome to the forums!

Sometimes I used card stock and sometimes it was balsa wood.  The underlying material was only an armature to start the build up process. By the time the body was finished,

it was a sculpture of body putty and wire and quite stiff and heavy.

I have not built any models since about 1967 or so.  I moved on to many different types of projects from motorcycle fairings to carved art glass.  Now I'm into building stringed musical instruments from found objects such as cigar boxes, hub caps, African masks, tin boxes, dog food bowls, motorcycle parts, etc. 

I do intend on someday finishing the last model I started back in 1967.  The body was finished and painted, but I never got around to doing the under carriage, engine compartment and interior.

Jack

.... amazed to see pictures of my "Hybrid Special" from the model mag that had featured it back in 1965 and leaned that it was

being recreated by someone for a model car museum.  I tried emailing that site to let them know that I still have that model

and several others that I built from that time period, but didn't get any response. ............

Been able to exchange a few emails with the main guy at the Museum, so I gave it a shot at alerting him to this thread. Might do the trick for getting some communication going. Welcome back to this part of the hobby. Hope you can find a way to attend the next GSL contest, which features visits for attendees to the Museum. Part of that attraction will be (if I have it right) the public re-introduction of one of the co-winning models from the '64 Revell-Pactra contest. The other co-winning model is already on display there.

Well, got a quick response to my email from Mark Gustavson, which he asked me to repeat verbatim below while he is in the process of getting his old login info in order to respond directly:

Hi Jack!

Wow, I can't believe you're on the Forum.  Please note that I did NOT receive your e-mail note about your great vintage model!  Please e-mail me directly at the addy below.

The Museum's Clone the Past program is alive and well -- we are cloning the most important models in the history of our hobby.  Noted builder John Teresi did an incredible job replicating the "Herndon Special": it was presented at the Museum seminar at GSL-XXVI in 2015 (go here for details on GSL: http://www.gslchampionship.org/ ). Here's a link to the Clone the Past Museum program (a new website is pending so forgive the dated one still online): http://themodelcarmuseum.org/Programs/Clone/clone.html

I'm presently writing the 2016 Museum newsletter (go here to see older issues:
http://themodelcarmuseum.org/information/Publications/publications.html
I would like to interview you and get photos of your models.  Please e--mail at the addy below, and we'll talk.

Sorry again that your earlier attempts to contact me/the Museum didn't work out for you. Welcome to the Forum! Wow -- it's great that you're still into building. Thanks for your enormous contributions to the model car hobby!

Cheers,
Mark S. Gustavson
Founder, International Model Car Builders Museum
msgsl@xmission.com  

Oh, this is just too cool. Welcome Jack!

I love those 60s builds; I have a file on my computer full of scans from the old magazines, mostly the pages that featured a model that caught my attention. Your Hybrid Special is in there somewhere...

• 4 weeks later...