Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old Movies on TV..

10thumbs

Since the topic is "Old Movies On TV"  I thought I'd mention that I've found some obscure interesting things on the Turner Network.  They have this huge library of seldom/never seen movies.

One was called "Employee Entrance".  It was set in a department store in New York City in the early 1930s.The plot was poor but the scenes on the department store were great. No doubt what you would actually find in that period.  Old wringer washers,  some of the first refrigerators with the compressor sitting on top.  It was fun to watch and see what you could see.  In one scene two characters got on a NYC double decker bus and continued their conversation up top in the open air section.  

And it's interesting to hear and see the phrases and interaction of people in that time period.  A young girl goes into the personnel office of the department store asking for a job.  The snappy dressed suit, tie and hat guy behind the desk (of course he was smoking a cigar)  looks her up and down and says, "You'ze a good looking dame,  we'll hire you!"    Imagine that interview today!

Another interesting movie is Shirley Temple  "Bright Eyes" from 1933.  She hangs around the airport with a pilot and there are scenes of a commercial airport,  passenger and mail planes.... even a scene inside the passenger plane.  

• 2 weeks later...

@Tom Geiger, "the interaction of people"...  You are so right.  

What I like also, and I have to say amazing also from the old films, the women spoke a neutral clarity, with a normal voice,  and not the high-pitched squeaky and nasal tones we hear today. 

To hear an American woman on the media speak nowadays hurts my ears.  Why the overly affected speech?  Man, I remember my northern cousins making fun of my sisters' speech, but at least the northern girl spoke a more neutral dialect.

My take is, the classy level has dropped immensely.  Too many folks have nothing real to offer, yet have the desire to say too much.  Worse, they're being listened to, too often.