Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Dig Dish Chronicles

Ron Hamilton

I appreciate the comments on my builds with Dog Dish Caps on Steelies. Here is the rundown on some of my favorite builds with them.

1971 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi

mamameeting10192013026_zps574f7c4d.jpg

1965 Dodge Polara CHP Cruiser

MamameetingOct15029.jpg

1966 Chevelle Super Sport

1966ChevelleSS396.jpg

1958 Chevy Biscayne

2008_0517may2008mamameeting0026.jpg

1960 Chevy Corvair 700 Sedan (Under Construction)

Mama%20Meeting%20august%202016%20172_zps

1068 Chevy Nova SS COPO

2008_06211968novass0009.jpg

1969 Dodge Coronet R/T

2009_0221mamafeb090025.jpg

1964 Pontiac GTO Convertible

ad22d8b5-fdbb-4a71-b170-bcbb668d641f_zps

1972 Olds 443 Holiday Coupe

Mama%20Meeting%20august%202016%20189_zps

I have a few more Muscle, Compact, and Police cruisers to build with the aforementioned rolling stock to build, Some will surprise you, as I have to master a set of caps for a future build.

Feel free to comment, and post your builds with Dog Dish Caps here. I would love to see them.

Very nice!

Ron, what paint did you use on that '72 Olds? I assume that's the same color that Chevy called Spring Green and Pontiac called Julep Green? I'd like to do a '72 Camaro and GTO in that color. Krylon makes a near-perfect match in their Shimmer line, but it is WAY too sparkly for a factory car (would be okay for a dune buggy or bass boat).

Very nice!

Ron, what paint did you use on that '72 Olds? I assume that's the same color that Chevy called Spring Green and Pontiac called Julep Green? I'd like to do a '72 Camaro and GTO in that color. Krylon makes a near-perfect match in their Shimmer line, but it is WAY too sparkly for a factory car (would be okay for a dune buggy or bass boat).

Steve,

I had some Rally Green Paint from MCW, but I did not use it on this build. In 1972, Olds had a color called Radiant Green, which was not as bright as the 1968-9 Chevrolet Rally Green. I used Tamiya Bright Green Metallic Lacquer Spray. I liked the color, and knew that I would use it on something.

Steve,

I had some Rally Green Paint from MCW, but I did not use it on this build. In 1972, Olds had a color called Radiant Green, which was not as bright as the 1968-9 Chevrolet Rally Green. I used Tamiya Bright Green Metallic Lacquer Spray. I liked the color, and knew that I would use it on something.

Thanks! I have some kind of Tamiya Green Metallic paint around here, but it's not really like the '72 Spring Green/Julep Green I need (those are notably bluer). It's not quite Chevy Rally Green either, but I might lay it on an old AMT '69 Daytona as '69 Dodge Spring Green (NOT their Rally Green, which was the same as the Chevy color).

I've done a few with dog dish caps.

But not so much because I really like them.

More like because a set of full wheel covers wasn't available to me, or I didn't like the looks of them.

I built the '61 Sunliner with them because I dislike the full wheel covers.

photo DSCN2959_zps8yb9ppre.jpg

The '65 Chrysler 300, as you can imagine, can be a little tough to find stock wheel covers for.

photo DSCN3973_zpsz7olkrr2.jpg

I also built a mild custom '63 Ford pickup with steel wheels, but omitted the hubcaps in favor of some "inner" beauty rings.

Kind of a hub cap I guess. :)

photo 63 Ford Custom Cab 013_zpsf9fufyxt.jpg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I've done a few with dog dish caps.

But not so much because I really like them.

More like because a set of full wheel covers wasn't available to me, or I didn't like the looks of them.

I built the '61 Sunliner with them because I dislike the full wheel covers.

photo DSCN2959_zps8yb9ppre.jpg

The '65 Chrysler 300, as you can imagine, can be a little tough to find stock wheel covers for.

photo DSCN3973_zpsz7olkrr2.jpg

I also built a mild custom '63 Ford pickup with steel wheels, but omitted the hubcaps in favor of some "inner" beauty rings.

Kind of a hub cap I guess. :)

photo 63 Ford Custom Cab 013_zpsf9fufyxt.jpg

Steve

The ones on the 61 Sunliner look similar to the aluminum ones I ordered. The ones I ordered were supposed to be for early 60's Mopar but were way over-sized even on 15" wheels. I had to turn them down some and round the edges.

(caps.thumb.png.902e0b1bba620322df065f7ffYour cars look great by the way) 

Just since this thread has apparently turned into a sing-along, here's mine. '68 Roadrunner with 383 transplant, built more than 20 years ago...

I assume Chevy Rally Wheel caps and Moon hubcaps are not in the spirit of this thread? B)

Just since this thread has apparently turned into a sing-along, here's mine. '68 Roadrunner with 383 transplant, built more than 20 years ago...

68RoadRunner1.jpg

68RoadRunner2.jpg

I assume Chevy Rally Wheel caps and Moon hubcaps are not in the spirit of this thread? B)

Very Nice Runner Steve. I consider Chevy Rally Wheels and Baby Moons an upgrade people did over and above the base wheels.