Model Cars Magazine Forum

semi-gloss clear for Krylon?

Using Krylon paint and I want parts to have a semi-gloss finish. Which paints work the best ? I have tried Rustoleum satin clear and got crazing. Not sure if it is a paint incompatibility problem or the Krylon was not fully cured. Really don'twant to have to strip the paint off again. Thanks

Krylon has a "window" that you have to work within to keep it from crazing. That's if you are clearing with any enamel over it. I think the can suggest either before 30 minutes or 24 hours after........ Krylon makes a semi-gloss or satin clear that will work, as long as you work within that window....... HTH!   

Krylon has a "window" that you have to work within to keep it from crazing. That's if you are clearing with any enamel over it. I think the can suggest either before 30 minutes or 24 hours after........ Krylon makes a semi-gloss or satin clear that will work, as long as you work within that window....... HTH!   

I could not find a Krylon semi-gloss or satin on their web site. I will look some more. Thanks

I saw it at Wally World today!

Crazing is typically caused by the reducers (hot)  attacking the underlying surface. Cause and Effect.....Cause: Applying initial coats to wet & not enough flash time between coats. Effect: Crazing, Lifting, Wrinkling,

Cure: Barrier Coats..... Apply your initial coats on dry side... almost seedy (or dry as a popcorn fart :D) with plenty of flash time... Apply each coat little wetter (fine line here) buy the time you reach say 3 dry(er) coats as a barrier you can start to apply your coats wetter and not have the solvents attack the underlying coats. I have and do perform this procedure on a regular basis with a high 90% rate of success. It may take a little longer and you have to have patience. However it sure beats all the wasted time and effort of throwing it in the pond!

I could not find a Krylon semi-gloss or satin on their web site. I will look some more. Thanks

Jon I use Krylon flat black and it will come out semi gloss but it is the shortcut cans at Hobby Lobby I use. I also use other colors of Krylon and use Testors Wet Look Clear,Testors Lacquer semi gloss and Testors Dulcote over Krylon with no problems. Testors lacquers are not hot and work with Krylon and Rustoleum enamels..