Model Cars Magazine Forum

Have any of you guys scratch built a trailer before?

You can go back a couple of pages in the  "big rig under glass" section bottom of page 2 (A few more trailers) page 5 (53' lowboy) and see several of mine. As is Bill, i'm a 100 miles from the nearest hobby shop, so I build from what I can find, Walmart carries a for sale sign(when u can find it) that is 12"x18".040 styrene. The last 4 I bought were $2.50 each! I order most of my angle,tubing, etc. online.

Edited by signguy2108

I've been looking into this and have decided to go with aluminum profiles.  Super easy, you can acquire them in all kinds of sizes and shapes, plus there are lots of 2 component cements out there that leave a neutral colored cemented joint.  The best dump bodies I've ever seen on models are from aluminum mini-profiles.  Trailers too.  My opinion, the only way to go.  Why mess with plastic, when you can have real metal.

I have scratchbuilt a few trailers:

I buy most of my styrene online. It helps to have a bunch of different shapes and sizes of styrene round stock, round stock, and angle. Since I do so much scratchbuilding I keep most sizes of the common shapes on hand. Then I just buy some .040, .060", and .080" thick sheets for larger components.

Many of the trailer manufacturer websites have drawings online for thier products.  I know of a few builders that utilized this for their builds, makes it much easier than trying to designing everything yourself. The cool part is you can scale the drawing by using say a known size like a tire..then print it for your own drawings.

Jeff