Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette Grand Sport - Sebring 1964

RancheroSteve

It's done! The Accurate Miniatures kit of the Mecom Racing chassis #003, driven at Sebring by A.J. Foyt and John Cannon to 23rd place.

Mostly out of the box, with a few aftermarket items and some extra detailing. There's detailed build thread here that should answer most questions, but ask away otherwise. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/111989-1963-corvette-grand-sport-update-81616/

It ain't perfect, and there are a small list of things I would have done a little differently, but I'm mostly pleased with it.

104 Corvette Grand Sport LF

105 Corvette Grand Sport LR

106 Corvette Grand Sport RR

109 Corvette Grand Sport engine

Thanks for looking - comments & questions welcome.

Steve, that is dang near perfect! I don't see a thing wrong with it! The stance is dead on (VERY important for this car!), and I love the blue line tires you added-----that's a nice touch!

I had to save your pics.........these'll give me some inspiration if I ever get around to doing mine. I've got THREE of these including Harold Bradford's excellent roadster transkit. B)

Very attractively built model of a truly iconic race-car. I know these Accurate Miniature kits are considered very challenging but you have certainly done it justice. It is regrettable AM went out of business as I think they had a FIA 289 Cobra in the planning stage which I am sure would have been very popular.

I would probably solder the photo etch vents for strength.

A good thought, but there's not really any need to. As I mentioned in my build thread, they're a pretty tight fit once they have some paint on them - I didn't even use any glue. The other possible reason against that idea is that they need to be painted before they're assembled (as the instructions advise) - I think it would be tough to get a decent finish on them once they're put together.