Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Piranha Spy Car question

regular guy

I've got both the new Spy Car version, and the Buyer's Choice drag version from the early 2000's. Here's my delema with these two kits. Matching exterior paint colors. I only paint with rattle cans. So I'm wondering what comes close in a rattle cans to match the color of each car? The Spy Car not as tough I believe as matching the color of the drag car.

Another rattle can color that might be close is Dupli-Color #BGM0539 Light Blue Metallic, which I believe is a GM color. I used it (with a small amount of pearl clear top coat) on this:

311 El Ponchomino LF

Of course, colors don't always translate perfectly in photos - I think it looks even closer in person.

As for the drag car, this website (http://www.c-we.com/piranha/page5.htm) states: "The body was painted a fantastic, glistening lemon-gold that flowed into a bronz-tone lower body by Winfield."

Edited by RancheroSteve

Another rattle can color that might be close is Dupli-Color #BGM0539 Light Blue Metallic, which I believe is a GM color. I used it (with a small amount of pearl clear top coat) on this:

311 El Ponchomino LF

Of course, colors don't always translate perfectly in photos - I think it looks even closer in person.

As for the drag car, this website (http://www.c-we.com/piranha/page5.htm) states: "The body was painted a fantastic, glistening lemon-gold that flowed into a bronz-tone lower body by Winfield."

Very sharp looking! And I do like the color. But, somebody else brought up Testor's Nassau Blue. I've been working with color on a couple of models lately. I'm thinking it maybe a pretty good match for what I'm looking for on the spy car.

The drag version? Still not sure on how to get a close color match to the real car.