Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lotus 49B - Heller 1/24 (update 1/23/17)

Now that the Grand Sport is finished, it's time to begin another journey. This is the Heller/Humbrol Lotus 49B:

Lotus 49B box

Stuff inside the box is molded in red & black and looks like this:

Lotus 49B contents

A pretty decent kit - especially for its day - of an iconic racing car, but I can already see a few areas that will require improvement.

I obtained some better tires from Model Factory Hiro:

Lotus 49B tires

And a new set of decals from Indycals:

Lotus 49B decals

Issue #5 of Motor Racing Replica News should be helpful:

MRRN No5

I'll be getting started soon.

Edited by RancheroSteve

• 4 months later...

I've had this kit in my stash (that is, the original Heller release) for over 40 years....will be watching your buildup as it always seemed to me to be a kit of a very cool subject, designed with features well head of its competition in the model kit business at that point in History.  Will be following your progress with great interest....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

Were your new tires pretty salty($$)? They look great. I'll be following your build. The back of the dash/gauge panel looks cool with the properly gauged wire!!!!

The MFH tires will be a big improvement over the kit tires. I can't remember exactly what I paid, but I'm thinking about $10 a set, plus a very reasonable postage from Japan. Not cheap, but worth it for an open wheeled car, I think. I bought two sets - one for the Lotus and one for the McLaren M7A that I'll be doing as well.

Looks like they are sold out, at least for the moment: http://www.modelfactoryhiro.com/new/en/archives/4098

The gauge wire might be just a little on the thick side, but I think it will pass.

Nice start on a rare and interesting kit. I share your love of the beauty found in the Lotus 49. I personally would like to see more '24 / '25 scale open wheel road racers produced.

I believe that the kit was designed by a Mister DeLespinay. A great model builder in his own right.

I will be following this thread..

Keep up the good work

Regards

Brian Kroon

Edited by GlueTube
spelling correction

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...