Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 September '16 Releases

MrObsessive

I thought that too, but they hadn't mentioned it. Printed whitewall tires would be a REAL plus! We'll have to wait and see if there's any surprises. ;)

Im pretty sure the Nomad was in last months video, looks to be a straight reissue of the late 70s offering.

I'd love to see the above monter trucks posted by Jesse, offered in their stock versions. I have no interest in monster trucks what so ever. But, especially the Dodge and Datsun in stock form. I'd be all over those.

I would love to see the Dodge get restored. I was not that crazy about the Monster Truck deal either, I thought they looked pretty dumb, not realizing that the tools where being wrecked. 

And I would also like to see the Datsun tool restored.

Im pretty sure the Nomad was in last months video, looks to be a straight reissue of the late 70s offering.

Well, if that's the case and there's no pad printed WWW's, looks like I'll be parting out that junker '57 T-Bird kit to use its WWW's on the Nomad! :D 

I don't remember the '55 Nomad I built many years ago having separate WWW inserts like the T-Birds and other kits. I remember having to paint them on with Tamiya Acrylic White. 

We'll see........

Scott.  The Box and Chad agree. The Nova can be built stock. If the 1980 Volare/RoadRunner is any kind of predictor, the kit will be exactly as it was last run, with only new tyres and a new decal sheet. Which, if you know what you're in for, is great. I had a couple of this kit the first time around in the 80's and really liked it. There is talk here in other threads, that the engine is more Pontiac than Chevrolet, as the base kit this one was derived from originally, was a Ventura. Comparing the instruction sheets over at Drastic Plastics this does indeed appear to be the case. This is no big deal to me, but might bother others. I've already started on my Volare. I may need a couple of these Nova's.

Me to,I want a few of these Nova's.I saw build stock...I'll build street.will change rearend to 12 bolt chev setup and yes it has Pontiac engine..sb 4 will replace it.a few other things and she'll be yellow...can't wait....Chris

Well, if that's the case and there's no pad printed WWW's, looks like I'll be parting out that junker '57 T-Bird kit to use its WWW's on the Nomad! :D 

I don't remember the '55 Nomad I built many years ago having separate WWW inserts like the T-Birds and other kits. I remember having to paint them on with Tamiya Acrylic White. 

We'll see........

I looked at the parts breakdown on the box bottom...there are what look like separate inserts for the tires.  I'm not getting this kit though, so maybe someone who did buy it will read this thread and chime in on this. 

I only built one of the 1/16 Tri-5 Chevies, the 57 Convert

It Di NOT have separate white-Wall inserts!!

I am Betting all were based on the same chassis tooling

and that None of the Chevies had the insert tires

I could be wrong, but, 

I had an Unbuilt 55 Hardtop, and do not recall separate tire side inserts in that kit either!!

I would love to see the Dodge get restored. I was not that crazy about the Monster Truck deal either, I thought they looked pretty dumb, not realizing that the tools where being wrecked. 

x2. The Bronco was restored to stock about ten years back and reissued as an AMT/Ertl Toy Fair special release, but then again, it wasn't as extensively modified as the other two, particularly the Datsun. 

x2. The Bronco was restored to stock about ten years back and reissued as an AMT/Ertl Toy Fair special release, but then again, it wasn't as extensively modified as the other two, particularly the Datsun. 

Dont forget that the fourth monster truck in the series was the El Camino, with the original "standard" flat front end with chrome front bumper.

That one of course wasn't really "restored" back to its previous version.  Instead Ertl converted it to the AMT-branded SS, complete with poor-fitting nose with unevenly spaced grille bars (then reissued by Round 2 as an MPC).  About the only plus is that they finally updated the dash to the 81-85 style.

Jesse, did the Datsun 4x4 and the Dodge 4x4 come out in the late 80's when Monster trucks was really big. ?? I can't remember but one of my first builds back in the hobby was the  Ford Monster Truck that was molded in red...

Word has it that the 1/16 '55 Nomad is out now. Anyone pick this up yet? Pics?

I'm curious about the tire setup if it has the separate whitewalls or not. Also, if the box is still that too flimsy cardboard of yesteryear, and if that will lead to warping (again) of this kit. :blink:

I have to wonder if there's some inside info on Round 2 bringing back the '57 Nomad. I've been seeing a steady number of them turn up on eBay recently, and I'm wondering if folks are getting wind that this is about to be re-released, and they want to dump the kits to "cash in"?

Interesting.............

Jesse, did the Datsun 4x4 and the Dodge 4x4 come out in the late 80's when Monster trucks was really big. ?? I can't remember but one of my first builds back in the hobby was the  Ford Monster Truck that was molded in red...

Yes, MPC decided to ride the craze and these kits where converted into monster trucks. I remember seeing them on the shelves, but I wasn't a big monster truck fan, so I passed. Even Revell decided to join the fray and butchered up some of their pick ups for it. Hope this is the only Monster Truck re-issue before they convert them back! 

Stock tires are blackwall Firestones (and blackwalls are all that's shown on the box art) - however -  there are thin plastic "whitewalls" that can be applied over the tires for a fake whitewall effect.

Good! That's what I was hoping for as that's better than no whitewalls at all. ;)

Nomads look so much better IMO with wide whites than without.