Model Cars Magazine Forum

Avoid the reissue Revell Ramcharger

Indeed Tom, that is problem solving, trying to find the root cause, through tracking...

About injection molding cycle time, is it something that is adjustable by the operator, or is it a fixed setting by a molding expert or the company who contracted them with the work...

In a scenario where there is actually a "live" operator, the cooling-time part of the cycle would be "adjustable"...but would probably be determined by the process engineer in advance of a production run, and quality-verified...so adjustments to the cycle would likely require input from the process engineer before being implemented.

Even if the system is fully automated, however, the line would normally be "tuned" before full-scale production was started, with elements of various parts of the cycle adjusted to eliminate the possibility of problems like this. Again, quality-verified before production.

Different tools can have different operating characteristics. The plastic formulation is also a potential issue. If the Tg of one batch of styrene is lower than a previous batch, cooling times would need to be adjusted accordingly.

Injection-molded plastic parts MUST be uniformly below the Tg of the specific material before ejection from the mold, or warpage is virtually guaranteed.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The Revell Ramcharger for an IPMS review arrived today with no warping.  Good thing too.  I'd hate to hate to have to write a nasty review.

I dug out a set of Ma's Resin Swamp Dog tires with bead lock wheels for it.  Some suspension work will need to done to get the body higher up.  Or maybe a body lift - or both.

Edited by crazyjim

All the speculation over hot warehouse versus being pulled too quickly from the mold is a moot point as we have not been tasked with solving the problem for Revell, just to notify them!

I'm not a plastics engineer, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn express last night, but I am intelligent enough to know that Revell will figure out what happened and try to make sure it doesn't happen again. Someone will undoubtedly total up the cost of this problem and if it was an outside molding company, they will most likely pay.

Hopefully my replacement body is on it's way.

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed it has been a couple of weeks since I have notified Revell of my warped body and have yet to get a replacement after submitting a request on their website. 

Has anyone asked for and received a replacement? If so, how long did it take you get one?

I wonder if they have found a bunch of bad bodies and are delayed in sending out replacements?

I will give them another week or so before I ask again.

I just noticed it has been a couple of weeks since I have notified Revell of my warped body and have yet to get a replacement after submitting a request on their website. 

Has anyone asked for and received a replacement? If so, how long did it take you get one?

I wonder if they have found a bunch of bad bodies and are delayed in sending out replacements?

I will give them another week or so before I ask again.

I requested a body a few weeks ago also, and I realized when following up I  did not get an acknowledgement for my request like I usually do. I wrote to customer service and we will just need to see what happens.  I am sure they will sort it out.

I had a request for a hood to the Foose Challenger that went a couple of months before I heard anything and then it showed up in the mail box. Imagine my surprise when I opened it and it was a beautiful Corvette hood, same part number wrong kit, when I emailed them about it and told them the problem (now almost six months since the first request) they wanted the order number and I thought I was SOL since I deleted it when the package arrived (that will teach me to not wait to open shipments) but then I remembered I still had the wrong hood in the package it was shipped in and still stapled to the packing invoice. It had the number he wanted and I was relieved to see that I hadn't screwed up, the request and the invoice had the proper kit number, it was the same day that I heard back saying he'd found the order and would get the hood out right away. It was in my hand in two days along with a hand written apology for the mistake.

Now, as to the Ramcharger problem. Since this is a different release this time, (no boat) and is in a smaller box do you think some of the problems could be that the packaging is wrong? I no it takes an engineer to get some of these kits back into the box so the top will fit without warping the body, and if they're having a problem, it would be more than a coincidence that the two kits that had warped bodies had the same production date, as the kit that the replacement body probably wasn't to far away from. It might be that they're addressing this issue and are just waiting for the next shipment to see if it was corrected. My advice would be to send an email with all the pertinent information, I'm proof that in the long run patience will pay off.

• 4 weeks later...

And they did! I got my replacement body in the mail today. No warpage. 

Thanks Revell!

This is encouraging as my request was around the same time as yours. Hopefully I see something soon, if not I will be taking this one back to Hobby Lobby for an exchange.